Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Documentaries

[ QUOTE ]
street fight - chronicles the 2002 mayoral election in newark, nj. the incumbent, sharpe james is the prototypical fast talking, crooked, career politician. his opponent is corey booker, a stanford and yale educated city councilman who lives in one of the housing projects in his district. lots of dirty politics. if you enjoy the political subplots on the wire, you will like this a lot. well produced and very interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Street fight is totally awesome. 4*s.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:26 PM

Just got done watching Cocaine Cowboys thanks to this thread.
Unreal. Always been a Dolphins fan but I really didn't realise just how much of an impact the coke dollars had on the city. And the folks interviewed/covered are ..um..intense. The Godmother and her #1 hitman. Miami's unstoppable economy when the rest of the country is in a recession.
Amazing.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just got done watching Cocaine Cowboys thanks to this thread.
Unreal. Always been a Dolphins fan but I really didn't realise just how much of an impact the coke dollars had on the city. And the folks interviewed/covered are ..um..intense. The Godmother and her #1 hitman. Miami's unstoppable economy when the rest of the country is in a recession.
Amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I just finished it too. What a great film! I knew but had no idea.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:04 AM

Yea cocaine cowboys was the most enjoyable drug documentary I've seen.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:41 PM

Two I haven't seen mentioned:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0166896/ The Straight Story, though not strictly a documentary

"The Straight Story" chronicles a trip made by 73-year-old Alvin Straight from Laurens, Iowa, to Mt. Zion, Wis., in 1994 while riding a lawn mower. The man undertook his strange journey to mend his relationship with his ill, estranged, 75-year-old brother Lyle. Written by Christian Sandberg

Alvin Straight is a very old man with a quiet life in a small country town. When his brother gets seriously sick, he decides to put away their differences and visit him after many, many years. So, alone, he begins a long journey through hundreds of miles, just to see again his brother, even if it's the last thing he will ever do... Based on a real story. Written by Chris Makrozahopoulos {makzax@hotmail.com}

AND

http://imdb.com/find?s=all&q=southern+comfort Southern Comfort

At its essence, Kate Davis's film, Southern Comfort, is about a transgendered man who is dying from cancer in his female reproductive organs. Southern Comfort is more than this, however. It also deals with the intricacies of the social community that the main character, Robert Eads, has surrounded himself with since transitioning from female to male, details the romantic attachment that Robert has formed with his girlfriend Lola Cola near the end of his life, and examines the dynamics between Robert and his genetic family. More than this, Southern Comfort engages in a discourse on human sexuality that serves to enlighten the audience viewing the film on the realities of transgendered life in the backcountry of the Deep South.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:12 PM

Bastards of the Party

HBO documentary. Good, not great. Very interesting if you're interested in gang culture. This documentary traces the history of LA gangs starting from the history in the 40s, but mainly focusing on how things evolved into the current gang culture from the Black Panther and other politically focused organizations.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dark days - follows a group of homeless who live in an abandoned, underground railroad tunnel in new york. they have "houses" and electricity etc. in their little world. this sounds like it would be interesting, but for whatever reason it was boring. i only made it halfway through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watching this right now on Netflix (its featured in the play now section and you can watch it for free right on your comp if you have an acct.).

Coincidentally I've watched only about the first half and I decided to pull up this thread and see if anyone mentioned it. Very surprised by your review El D. So far I have found it utterly gripping and fascinating. I'd rate the first half of Dark Days among the best 45 minutes of documentary I've ever seen.

Off to watch the 2nd half now.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:35 PM

Finished. Amazing film. Can't recommend it enough.

El D, I think this one might be worth another look. Try watching the whole thing this time.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:32 PM

Kind of weird not to see The Sorrow and the Pity mentioned.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very surprised by your review El D.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh - all of the reviews in The op are mine, diablo just posted it for me. i may watch it again - a number of people have advised that.