FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: RB2?
Henry vs Houston 8 88.89%
Washington vs CLE 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Did He Touch Home?

should have k-zone calling all balls/strikes already

I think the MLB is just trying to catch up to the NFL in controversial playoff calls

NFL has replay and still screws it up

I'm pro-replay for most everything it's practical for--in baseball, I see this as making sure home runs are home runs (I saw two blown this year in Wrigley FFS)

obviously, my background makes me pro-replay
During my formative years, I had the bad side of variance with the Denkinger call in the '85 world series and the Illinois @ Kentucky elite8 game in '84.
As Ron Turner once said, anyone who doesn't believe in replay should have had to go into my lockerroom after the 2000 loss to Michigan and explain to those guys why they lost the game.

Human judgment and decision making is just far too biased toward 'name' teams, prior expectations, home crowds, and momentum.

the problem is that reviews are screwing things up by taking too long. If you cannot overturn something within a minute and multiple views from multiple angles, it's likely not overwhelming against the call on the field.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sykes,
You''re argument is the
Well the Padres screwed up earlier so it doesn't matter that the umps screwed up.
What if the coins were flipped. Well Matt Holliday misplayed a ball in the OF and they gave up a two run HR so they had plenty of chances.
To give you and idea of stupid similar arguments it's like Bill Simmons the call on the tuck rule is irrelevant since Oakland couldn't convert from second and 2 and than after the fact gave up two scoring drives.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said it didn't matter. All I said was that padres fan should not be crying over this "supposedly" bad call (I am about 90% sure he did not touch home, although there might be a part of his hand that might have grazed it, so if there was instant replay, it might turn to be inconclusive).

Also, bad calls happen all the time. What about the "double" that should have been a home run? We'd never have this discussion.

Honestly in the pantheon of bad calls, this isn't even close to the top 100.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:49 PM

this is close to top 100 of all time bad calls due to the magnitude of its impact
Old 10-02-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Catchers interference- hitter gets 1st, runners only advance if stealing or forced.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the bases loaded, they would be forced. The run would score.

[ QUOTE ]
Dropped 3rd strike- runner on 1st negates this rule (I think)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right about this one, with less than 2 outs. My bad.

[ QUOTE ]
So a HBP or walk is the only thing negative to worry about extra here. Which has to be outweighed by the ability to have a force out at home, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it is not.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those people are tards. It's a complete bs argument.

The main reason it isn't added for baseball is because baseball is a horribly slow game and it would just make it more slow.

People have visions of reviewing every damn pitch.

Solution: Review base touching and line calls only, no pitches. Would add all of 5-10 minutes to an average game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that if you put enough chips in enough places you can automate with a high level of accuracy base calls, fair/foul, ball/strike, homer, not a homer easily and it's faster than the fat angry dudes behind the plate.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:33 PM

You CAN'T have video review on plays such as this..

The umpire signaled SAFE. Game over. What are we supposed to do, have everybody stop where they were, review the play, make the call then shoot a gun to start play again?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who says he definitely touched the plate is delusional. Replays were inconclusive. Not a blown call necessarily. based on the replays shown on TV it would not have been over ruled if baseball had instant replay.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is spot on. Right after the play, I thought he missed the plate, but the more I watch, I think he actually caught some little piece of it. He got his hand under the catcher's foot and moved it. The catcher's foot moved across the plate. It's hard to tell how far his hand went along with the catcher's foot. From the umpire's perspective at real time, I don't think I could have ruled any differently than he did and if there was replay, the video evidence is not conclusive that he completely missed the plate. Moreover, if there was instant replay, that "double" would have been a home run.

What should have happened is he should have slid hard feet first and there would be no doubt about it.

Also, to those making comments about the look on Holiday's face, I'm pretty sure he's making that look because he just scraped across 8 feet of dirt pretty much on his face. I don't think he knows one way or the other whether he hit the plate with his pinky or not.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You CAN'T have video review on plays such as this..

The umpire signaled SAFE. Game over. What are we supposed to do, have everybody stop where they were, review the play, make the call then shoot a gun to start play again?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good point. It's not like a fumble or a pass completion review in football, where you can let the play run out and then go back and spot the ball in the right place and reset the clock if you want to overturn the call.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:39 PM

Old 10-02-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
While we are discussing other stuff in this thread.
What do you think of having 5 playoff teams in each league and have the two wild card teams play a one day playoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for drama, bad because one of those teams will be like 4 games over .500 or something and I like that baseball isn't the NBA.

[/ QUOTE ]
No kidding. I'm sick of this BS with the 64+1 crap in March Madness. I don't need it to spread to baseball too.