Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2006, 05:55 PM

Default Re: NEW REVIEW

[ QUOTE ]
Just had La Chouffe, which is a golden belgian ale similar to Duvel, so here are the notes I have for the two.

Duvel:

Pale yellow with a huge white head. Aroma is clove, sugar, pear, yeast. Flavor is sweet, with fruit and clove notes. Finish is a bit bitter but not as bitter as delirium tremens but stonger than leffe. Has enough of a bitter kick to keep it from being too cloying. Nice warmth from the alcohol as you finish the bottle.

my notes for Le Chouffe are,

Pours hazy golden with a huge foamy head. Aroma is sweet, with yeasty and candy sugar notes. Nice coriander hints. Flavor is sweet, spicy, slight hints of citrus, and medium bitterness for a belgian. Finish is nice, but could last a bit longer. not as hyped as Duvel, but just as good if not better in my opinion.

My rating for Le Chouffe
4/5 and just a hair better than Duvel. I reccomend it to those looking for a duvel-type beer, I think le chouffe is a bit cheaper and at least for me is easier to find.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Belgium and I have visited the La Chouffe brewery a few years ago (now it's being brewed in the same brewery as duvel, Moortgat Brewery). I just [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] La Chouffe and I'm surprised that you can find it in America.

I like Duvel just a little bit more though, and where I live you can find Duvel in every bar and every store, whereas bars here don't often sell La Chouffe.

Anyway, maybe a few beers you should definately try if you can find them. I'm guessing the Leffe 9° should be fairly easy to find, but I have no idea about the Augustijn.

http://www.retail-deli.be/file_uploa...I0400xADAA.jpg and http://www.globalbeer.com/Merchant2/.../Augustijn.jpg

The Leffe 9° is rather new, and rather strong [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
It costs about 3$ here.

Augustijn has become one of my favorite beers in the last year. It has a very strong aftertaste but once you get used to that, it is a very nice beer. There is a bar here in the town I study in that sells them from the tap for about 1.8$ (the price of a regular beer), it is 7-8° strong and me and my friends always drink this if we come to this bar (which is quite often [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]). It is also brewed in the same town, so maybe that's why it's so cheap.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:57 PM

I couldn't find a link to the article on Men's Journal's actual site (maybe they don't put new issues up right away), but here's a link to their top 25 American beers.

I picked up the La Fin du Monde today. Haven't cracked one yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I should be, as it ran me $10.99 plus tax (9.25% in TN).
Old 09-14-2006, 11:15 PM

WTF? I think that list is terrible. DFH 60 instead of the 90? Ommegang Hennepin instead of any other beer from Ommegang? Sam Adams Black Lager?
Old 09-15-2006, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I live in Belgium and I have visited the La Chouffe brewery a few years ago (now it's being brewed in the same brewery as duvel, Moortgat Brewery

[/ QUOTE ]

Luckily that is not correct. Yes, Duvel-Moortgat have very recently bought D'Achouffe but the latter will continue to brew its own beers.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF? I think that list is terrible. DFH 60 instead of the 90? Ommegang Hennepin instead of any other beer from Ommegang? Sam Adams Black Lager?

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL.

number one is FIRESTONE pale ale, are they kidding?

sam adams black lager maybe belongs on a top 100 list

and alaskan amber is disgusting
Old 09-15-2006, 06:56 AM

To me that list looked like "Most mainstream beers from the top 25 American craft breweries." That's why I went looking for the actual article, to see if they mentioned criteria.

Still, any list from a major publication that is completely devoid of BMC breweries is a good thing. I'm glad that New Belgium got left off but was surprised that nothing from Bell's or Three Floyds made it on.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:48 PM

I actually love Alaskan Amber. I find it disheartening I can't find it on the east coast. I'd buy it by the case from Costco when I was back home on the west coast, though. That said, I think it's more of a "staple beer" rather than a gourmet, top 25 beer. An imperial stout, imperial IPA, barley wine, or something Belgian-style are going to be the sorts of American beers that just straight up taste the best, but they're not necessarily what I'd drink the most.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:04 PM

mrwookie,

i have never had a beer with the word "amber" in its name that i didnt utterly hate. i hate the style, and yes, alaskan amber may be one of the best "alt style" ambers out there, but i cant help the fact that i cant stand it.

amber bock makes me barf, as well. i would rather drink bud/budlight, coors/coors light, miller/miller lite, miller high life and high life light, keystone, keystone ice, natural ice, natural light, pabst blue ribbon + light, or mickey's. i think only old milwaukee is worse to me.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:14 PM

Huh. To each his own, I suppose.

Weird thing about Alt beers, though. I picked up a couple from Beers of the World to explore the variety a little bit. The first one I tried was dark brown with some earthy tones, not much in the way of hops. The second was very light in color, almost like a white ale, and it had a little bit of lemon in the flavor along with a medium level of hops. Alaskan Amber is a little lighter in color than the first one, a little maltier, and has an intermediate level of hoppiness. Had I not been reading the label, I would have laughed at anyone who tried to tell me that these three beers held the same name for their style. Anyone know what an Alt style ale means?
Old 09-15-2006, 02:59 PM

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category7.html

[ QUOTE ]
7. Amber Hybrid Beer Styles

1. 7A. Northern German Altbier
2. 7B. California Common Beer
3. 7C. Düsseldorf Altbier

[/ QUOTE ]