Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should he report this to the police?
Of course. 93 88.57%
Nope. CYA is the name of the game. 12 11.43%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: **** OFFICIAL Premiership 2006-07 season Thread!*****

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1 great season doesn't make him the best player in the world

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, maybe not. Best player in the world is pretty subjective...and how you judge it varies...current form, or past performance, etc.

The important point is that Ronaldo's contract is more valuable than anyone else's in football. And I don't see how you could dispute that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fabregas' contract is for 8 years
Old 01-25-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jared, these guys are tantalizers. Didn't you read Simmons piece on this?

It has to be based on one of these things:
Confidence
Coaching
Fitness

Injuries can derail a career as quickly and harshly as losing confidence. They have to have these two skills to succeed. If they do then I think any real skill can be coached, and there would lie the coach. They have to have a good coach, consistently.

I also think that a good coach can have a big impact on the other two items.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually haven't read that piece.

I agree with the coach thing. Also, just the environment of the club. At some big clubs, Real Madrid being the most obvious example though this happened to Saviola at Barcelona as well IMO, public pressure and other things can for whatever reason push a guy out of the lineup. This has to do with coaching as well obviously, but not having the ability to play conistently can be quite bad for these young players.

I honestly think it's reasonably likely that Messi ends up in this category. It could happen to Ronaldo as well, though I think he's much more likely to wind up more like Ronaldinho - one of the top few players of his period. Of course, if he does wind up at Real Madrid this summer that will make it much more likely that he falls well short of his potential.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:41 PM

I should point out that Saviola is only 25 and could still prove to be a world-class striker. However, despite being one of my favorite players, he will never reach anywhere near what people thought he would/could back when he was 19.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:42 PM

Yeah Jared, I would say that the worst thing a young, burgeoning star could do is move to a big team for tons of money. Yeah the players want the money and the fame, but it seems like its way to much pressure.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KDawg,

In regards to Carrick. It looks like he started out very slowly but does seem to be playing better. What would worry me if I was a ManU fan is the age at several key positions. I suppose Giggs isn't too much of a concern because of Ronaldo/Park, but Scholes and Neville has to bother you. Central positions are key and without any real young replacement of quality, ya'll are [censored] unless you bring in someone really good, maybe via selling Ronaldo?

I would say for ManU, you guys need to go out and get some younng quality. As of right now, you look like a team that will definitely have some rebuilding years unless you become Chelsea v. 2. Also Rooney's skills seem to be suspect as of right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bardsley is the replacement for Neville. Keiran Richardson and Park are the replacements for Giggs, and when Scholes retires, I can easily see Rooney moving into that spot as he plays his best slightly behind the traditional striker line. Don't forget that Alan Smith is going to be coming back from that hoffific leg and ankle break. Don't also be surprised if Fergie makes some moves this summer to get more young talent into the fold.

as far as Rooney being suspect, come on now. He turned 21 this past november. He just needs to let the game flow again as opposed to forcing things like he had gotten used to. Never doubt Rooney as he has the second greatest british player ever written all over him(with the best being Best)
Old 01-25-2007, 05:36 PM

Richardson + Smith = lol
Old 01-25-2007, 05:41 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

has anyone seen Dong Fangzhuo play? what do they think of him?
Old 01-25-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[

While that may be, there is a strong chance that Messi ends up either like Saviola or guys like Michael Owen and Raul.

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch, I wouldn't thrown Owen in with that lot. While he isn't the player that is blazing past players with spectacular half pitch runs like he did in 98, what he has turned into is, is a deadly clinical finisher in the mould of Shearer or Lineker. That isn't a bad thing at all and he will probably break Sir BObby Charlton's goals scored record for england since he only has 13 to go to tie him
Old 01-25-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Richardson + Smith = lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I can give you richardson(what can I say, I have a soft spot for him), but Smith played well for us last year until that sick injury
Old 01-25-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

While that may be, there is a strong chance that Messi ends up either like Saviola or guys like Michael Owen and Raul.

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch, I wouldn't thrown Owen in with that lot. While he isn't the player that is blazing past players with spectacular half pitch runs like he did in 98, what he has turned into is, is a deadly clinical finisher in the mould of Shearer or Lineker. That isn't a bad thing at all and he will probably break Sir BObby Charlton's goals scored record for england since he only has 13 to go to tie him

[/ QUOTE ]

Raul is actually a pretty good finisher as well.

My point is that while that's not bad, these guys just have not lived up to the potential of their youth. Maybe Robbie Fowler would be a better (worse, actually) example.