All-in 7 43.75%
Fold 8 50.00%
Call 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Hey all,
This was a fascinating thread. Really makes you want to visit Thiland. My law school has a bridge course with a two-week residence in Chiangmai, Thailand. I'm really considering going after reading this. I just hope two weeks with classes would leave me time to meet some local people and see some sites. Hope this hasn't been covered but how is Chiangmi?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey all,
This was a fascinating thread. Really makes you want to visit Thiland. My law school has a bridge course with a two-week residence in Chiangmai, Thailand. I'm really considering going after reading this. I just hope two weeks with classes would leave me time to meet some local people and see some sites. Hope this hasn't been covered but how is Chiangmi?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lived there for 18 months in 2002-2004. I really liked it. It is not huge like BKK; maybe 200K in the area. Very manageable size, easy to get around. Plenty of ex-pats there and a clearly defined tourist zone where you can easily get by without any Thai language. The best parts are outside of that though.

PM or add specific questions you might have. I can recommend a guesthouse if you do go.

KJS
Old 06-20-2007, 09:12 PM

KJS:

I'm hopefully going to Chiang Mai tonight. In Bangkok right now. What guest house? Also, for people who have been there more recently, who is giving the best jungle treks nowadays? Also where is the train station in Chiang Mai?

Basic Thai question also: In my book it says that "a" is pronounced like the "u" in "run." So that means that farang is pronounced furung ya? wat=wut(like what)? I need the basic pointers because I'd feel really embarassed if I mispronounced hello or thank you or something like that.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:19 PM

Go Here

You are not correct about those pronunciations. Ask a Thai how to say those words and it will help.

KJS
Old 06-21-2007, 03:34 AM

There's no standard system for converting Thai into the western alphabet. As a result, you'll see the same thing spelled in different ways, even something as common as Khao San Rd. I have a similar book and as KJS pointed out, you really need to hear a Thai person say the phrase. Even if you get the sounds right, you won't be understood because the tones and general flow of the words would be wrong. http://www.learningthai.com/ will show you how to pronounce all the basic stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do with all these 1 baht coins I keep accumulating? I'd like to give them to a soup kitchen or something provided they have a collection box. I feel like walking in somewhere and handing them a bag of coins would be a dick move.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have any ideas about what to do with all these 1 baht coins I keep accumulating? I'd like to give them to a soup kitchen or something provided they have a collection box. I feel like walking in somewhere and handing them a bag of coins would be a dick move.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLZ There happens to be a completely [censored] cashier working at CarreFour (was really rude to me several times for no apparent reason on different trips).

Soz, when Puk and I went to get a new bed set for our new House (around 1500THB), I specifically waited in line for this cashier and paid out like 700+ of it coins and the rest in 20 baht notes. It was quite hilarious watching him count and recount and recount. It seemed he's not well liked by his colleagues either cus they were pissing themselves laughing whilst he counted. So rather than come off as yet another [censored] farang move it was great entertainment for the rest of the employees.

PS I was considerate enough to warn all the those who tried get in line behind me that they should pick a different cashier. Only one got pissed off (and he was a standard issue, 50ish, fat, I am ruler of Thailand, German). The Thais in line actually stayed in line to witness the event.

PPS WhoIam can attest that I am insanely laid back/calm/respectful when dealing with Thais of all walks of life so for me to do this this guy was clearly a CNUT.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no standard system for converting Thai into the western alphabet. As a result, you'll see the same thing spelled in different ways, even something as common as Khao San Rd. I have a similar book and as KJS pointed out, you really need to hear a Thai person say the phrase. Even if you get the sounds right, you won't be understood because the tones and general flow of the words would be wrong. http://www.learningthai.com/ will show you how to pronounce all the basic stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have enough you can make a cool looking medieval armor.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:28 AM

Well I for sure just got ripped off for a taxi and now I'm paying 20 baht for 5 minutes of internet access just to tell 2+2 about it. I was going from Khaosan Rd to Hualamphong Station. I heard it was a 30 min drive (like airport to Khaoson), so when the guy quoted me 300 baht and he was in a metered taxi I figured whatever I'll not make the trouble 30 min ride would be close to 300 baht. So I'm riding and all is good and then he stops. I'm like wtf but alas it's hualampong. Probably got fleeced for $8US or so. time running out bye
Old 06-23-2007, 10:22 AM

Banking Question: Do the ATM cards the banks issue, work in the United States? Can you send Western Union or MoneyGram back to US?
Old 06-23-2007, 12:07 PM

KSR to Hualampong has never cost me more then 40 baht. Maybe 50 baht if there is a little traffic.

Obviously if he is quoting you a price instead of using the meter then he is ALWAYS ripping you off.

Also, someone mentioned that they needed hookah coal, Suk. soi 3 and 5 are where all the indians hang out and they sell that crap in the back of the sois.
Closed Thread