Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Ron Paul\'s racist comments

[ QUOTE ]
While I agree with you that there is a difference, legally aren't they still considered criminals?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You are a "criminal" when you are convicted of a "crime", not when you are arrested. As has been pointed out by many a prosecutor, you could indict a ham sandwich if you wanted to.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Link

Originally published in 1992, this is a re-post of it to usenet in 1993.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored]. That's really bad stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not according to RonPaulNation, it isn't. According to them it was based on facts and statistics and the comments aren't racist.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is possibly the most ridiculous thing that I've ever seen on these boards. How WOULD you define a criminal if not somebody who's been arrested?

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone who has been convicted, maybe? ANYONE can be arrested. Being arrested is VERY DIFFERENT than being convicted.

Let's put it in the most simple of terms. If you are arrested tomorrow for committing a crime (that you didn't actually commit) are you a criminal?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, if I remember correctly this line of discussion started when someone told redbean that he should learn more about pauls politics and stances because they actually make sense. Redbean says ok, I will go research paul, he comes back quickly and goes OMFG 1992 LETTER HES A RACIST, FACTS!

Redbean, why do you refuse to discuss any of pauls other policies? BECAUSE HES A RACIST I GUESS? Whether or not he wrote the comments notwithstanding, and whether the reason he never made a big deal of publicly refuting them was because no one cared enough about who he was to make it an issue, do you treat every politician this way? Or did you just see that there were a large number of paul supporters on this forum and decided to troll them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I researched Paul's platform, and if you look through the archive of posts, you'll see I came back and was mightily impressed with his stance on several things, and I only had a few questions regarding his stance on home shooling and birthright citizenship that I had questions about.

I thought the rest of his views were in line with mine, as they were presented, and I was fairly excited to have thought to have found the horse I would back.

Naturally, in doing my judicious research, I googled "Ron Paul Criticisms" to get the other perspective aside from just his own campaign website and make sure their wasn't some dragon sleeping under this guy's bed that I may need to be aware of.

And as I posted when I first came across it, whether or not you think it is irrational, I just can't put my support behind someone who defended these blatantly racist views.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is possibly the most ridiculous thing that I've ever seen on these boards. How WOULD you define a criminal if not somebody who's been arrested?

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone who has been convicted, maybe? ANYONE can be arrested. Being arrested is VERY DIFFERENT than being convicted.

Let's put it in the most simple of terms. If you are arrested tomorrow for committing a crime (that you didn't actually commit) are you a criminal?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's referring TO A REPORT IN WHICH IT SAYS 85% OF BLACK MEN IN DC HAVE BEEN ARRESTED. Intersting that you choose to move the goal posts from WHAT HE IS ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT to something totally unreleated.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes if someone could also post a link to a copy of the 2001 Texas Monthly article as well it would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their archive section is by subscription only. You have to go pay to see it.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's referring TO A REPORT IN WHICH IT SAYS 85% OF BLACK MEN IN DC HAVE BEEN ARRESTED. Intersting that you choose to move the goal posts from WHAT HE IS ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT to something totally unreleated.

[/ QUOTE ]

elwood is moving nothing. The author of this is.

[ QUOTE ]
...85% are arrested at some point in their
lives. Given the inefficiencies of what D.C. laughingly calls the "criminal
justice system," I think we can safely assume that 95% of the black males
in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal.

[/ QUOTE ]

The author is considering that 85% are criminals because they were arrested. No one with common sense would label someone merely arrested a criminal.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The author is considering that 85% are criminals because they were arrested. No one with common sense would label someone merely arrested a criminal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this so much I don't even know how to begin.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Link

Originally published in 1992, this is a re-post of it to usenet in 1993.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored]. That's really bad stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not according to RonPaulNation, it isn't. According to them it was based on facts and statistics and the comments aren't racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

So doesn't it seem odd to you that the entirety of the body of his published work is at the opposite end of the spectrum message wise? Furthermore it drastically differs stylistically from the linked newsletter? I mean come on read his books, read his online publications. The guy is perma-vomiting liberty and i don't see him claiming an exceptions to this rule...
Old 10-11-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this so much I don't even know how to begin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically, according to ItalianFX, anyone given a citation is said to be "arrested". Have you ever gotten a speeding ticket, parking ticket, or other citation? Are you a criminal?
Closed Thread