FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are you down
YES, AWESOME 10 66.67%
NO, BASTARD 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Re: The Fate of #756 by Marc Ecko

[ QUOTE ]
Are you claiming that it's a myth that steroids were illegal under baseball rules in 1991?

[/ QUOTE ]

I claim it is a myth that steroids were unilateraly banned.

[ QUOTE ]
According to ESPN (are they out to get Bonds too?), the 1991 Vincent memo said "This prohibition applies to all illegal drugs and controlled substances, including steroids."

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you notice they left of the last part of that excerpt....."for which the individual in possession of the drug does not have a prescription."

Oops...

Exactly as I said previously, if the player had a prescription for steroids, they were perfectly legal.

Steroids that have since been banned by baseball in 2004, (with or without prescription)....those substances have legitimate medical uses, and prescriptions for them are written every day by thousands of doctors.

Fay's memo in 1991 prohibited the use of illegal drugs, to include prescription drugs that the player didn't have a prescription for.

[ QUOTE ]

The fact that other things might have qualified as steroids doesn't mean that performance-enhancing steroids weren't, in fact, banned.

[/ QUOTE ]

It speaks to the matter that unless properly defined, the memo is at best vague, and the rules governing these matters are clearly defined later in the CBA, to which steroids are not mentioned at that time.

[ QUOTE ]

Your semanticamacation machine is revved up, I see, but hopefully people reading this thread will see through it and understand that steroids were, in fact, banned by Vincent's memo in 1991.

[/ QUOTE ]

Illegal use of prescription steroids without a prescription was prohibited. I agree with that.

Use of prescription steroids was most definately not banned.

And speaking of semantification.....I'd still like you to rectify how you grant Aaron amnesty despite being in violation of federal law and his Player contract......yet villify Bonds for being in compliance with federal law and the MLB CBA.....yet point to an 16-year old vague memo that you just saw for the first time yourself today.

I can understand and accept most folks views, whether it be on complete opposite ends of the spectrum....but you seem to jump back and forth between each side of the fence depending on who the player is being discussed, not so much as to what the circumstances are.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:49 PM

Red Bean:Bonds :: Cochran:OJ

he casts small bits of doubts on the scores of information
he gets everyone focused on every little tree

DON'T FORGET THE FOREST

maybe he is the heroic Henry Fonda of 12 Angry Men
I think he just has a mancrush and wants to deny everything and make counter-accusations
Old 09-27-2007, 06:53 PM

The memo bans illegal substances, so why do you keep harping on the prescription thing? Prescribed steroids aren't illegal and never have been, so they've never been banned by baseball.

Are you claiming that Bonds roided up with prescribed steroids? If not, why do you keep bringing it up?

You know I'm talking about illegally obtained steroids, just as you know that's what the memo bans. Why do you keep being deliberately obtuse?

I love Aaron and hate Bonds because I am a racist, obviously. But if you'll cite the federal law prohibiting greenies in 1973 and produce Aaron's 1973 contract, I'll take a look at them.

I know you'll never give an inch, so there's really no point. I'm just disappointed that no one else sees through all your semantics. If I weren't a lawyer, I'd call them "lawyer tricks."
Old 09-27-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Red Bean:Bonds :: Cochran:OJ

he casts small bits of doubts on the scores of information
he gets everyone focused on every little tree

DON'T FORGET THE FOREST

maybe he is the heroic Henry Fonda of 12 Angry Men
I think he just has a mancrush and wants to deny everything and make counter-accusations

[/ QUOTE ]

Its funny because to me its sort of the exact opposite. Drew thinks that if he can just keep saying the same things over and over again, and keep RedBean on the defensive, it doesn't matter HOW well RedBean does at refuting his arguments. There isn't a forest there at all, but if you just keep pointing at the same couple trees, people might get confused.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What about the part of the memo where it says illegal drugs are prohibited, "including steroids" ???

???

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more fun when you include the rest of the sentence...

"...for which the individual in possession of the drug does not have a prescription."
Old 09-27-2007, 07:02 PM

DrewDevil being retarded?

RedBean owning everyone in a Bonds thread?

SHOCKING
Old 09-27-2007, 07:03 PM

jesus...If I'm a participant in a forum that thinks Reb bean owns anyone, I'm in the wrong place
Old 09-27-2007, 07:04 PM

And we really should submit all of these threads to DrewDevil's State Bar, i'm sure his Law Practicing License would get revoked [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2007, 07:06 PM

I can just imagine a court proceeding :

DD : Your honor, the defendant is guilty. It is undeniable fact.

Judge : And what evidence do you have?

DD: <awkward pause>
<DD runs out of the courtroom giggling>

Judge : Not him again...
Old 09-27-2007, 07:08 PM

Yes, arguing in 2+2 sporting events is pretty much the same thing as practicing law.