Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Bad Moments in Great Films

Don't think either of these have been mentioned yet:

Sonny's fight scene in Godfather. The punches are off by a mile and the pulled kicks are beyond the pale.

Orange blood -- the scene where Mo Green (IIRC) is shot in the eye.

Both these scenes immediately take me out of the movie.

Also completely agree with Borodog concerning dialog between Sam J and QT in Pulp Fiction, absolutely terrible scene. GG ego stroking...
Old 09-02-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't think either of these have been mentioned yet:

Sonny's fight scene in Godfather. The punches are off by a mile and the pulled kicks are beyond the pale.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny--I just pointed this out to my girlfriend last week when we just happened to catch it whilst flipping around.

Being a woman, she said "Well, what did you expect--it's fake."

Uh, I, well...good point?

And the orange blood is almost definitely to placate censors.

Watch the "making of" thing on the Taxi Driver dvd, for instance. It took a LOT of desaturation, etc to get that final scene (Travis pointing finger-gun at his own head..."Blooh, blooh...") onto the big screen at all.

But as far as Sonny goes, he was missing his brother in law by a full nine inches or so in that scene.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:06 PM

If Sonny missing Carlo by a foot "takes you out of the movie," you are a [censored] retard.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Sonny missing Carlo by a foot "takes you out of the movie," you are a [censored] retard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he's OCD, who knows?

Regardless, the inability to suspend one's disbelief could hardly be characterized as "retarded."

In fact, I suspect the opposite is more true. I would imagine a person with this affliction would very likely be more highly intelligent than one who takes as gospel anything in any film or television show.

Edited for typo..(OCD)
Old 09-02-2007, 03:29 PM

Sonny's missed punches always bother me for a second, but then I see him smash the garbage can on the guy and all is forgiven
Old 09-02-2007, 03:32 PM

lol Rushmore, that might be the dumbest [censored] thing I've ever read. Just stop posting, you're an awful person.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:34 PM

I give old movies a lot of leeway on that kind of stuff. Not only did they have to deal with censors who were harder on violence, it wasn't until the 1970s that we really figured out how to make movies. That's just being nitty(and I'm a massive nit. It bothered me in the most recent James Bond movie that the chip counts were all [censored] up in the poker game).

I thought of another good one, though of course we have to stretch the definition of "great":

The "everyone gets a text message" montage in The Bourne Identity, with all the gay GUI [censored] on the screen. That was cheesy as hell. And then the dude rappels through the window? That fight sequence was completely out of character for the rest of the trilogy, seemed like it belonged in The Transporter or some such.

Kurt Russell's mistress killed every part of Tombstone she was in, but that's more of a "Bad subplots in Great Films" thing.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:36 PM

So on one side you have the countless intelligent people who love The Godfather for what it is, even after 20+ viewings, and on the other side you have nitpicking people who pause the movie during the FIGHT SCENES and go "OMG LOL HOW FAKE GG COPPOLA." I'm as nitty as most people wrt movie inconsistencies or obvious fakes but you're talking about a film made 35 years ago where the quality of the fight scenes is of relative unimportance. It isn't X-Men.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol Rushmore, that might be the dumbest [censored] thing I've ever read. Just stop posting, you're an awful person.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might well be an awful person, but it's got nothing to do with anything I have ever posted here.

As for dumb, I'll just assume there's not much point to responding to that, other than to say that if you see no validity whatsoever to the previous post, then you are either incredibly stupid, or amazingly stubborn, because you're wrong.

You don't seem terribly stupid, truth be told, so I must assume the latter to be true.

Not a great trait.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:39 PM

I missed the first 5 minutes of American Beauty, so I didn't know from the beginning that he dies. I didn't know how much I missed, so I went back and watched it again the next time it was on cable. My reaction to the end was totally different not knowing. It makes the ending much darker, which is a good thing.