Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Beat: My roommates are up $2.6M in 6 weeks and I work a 9-5

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dude ill obv help you for free, im sure emil feels the same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, you guys are in the same room have a verbal conversation =P

[/ QUOTE ]

Note the thread title: I am at work.

Jay - That's awesome man, really good news, I appreciate it. This thread might end up being the most profitable one I start on 2p2.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're roommates, why have you never asked him "Yo Krantz can I get some help on this hand? Kthx"
Old 07-19-2007, 06:20 PM

i come from no money. i grew up in a pretty wealthy area in long island where my dad worked his ass off to basically just keep us afloat. he was laid off multiple times, we lost the house i grew up in around the time i was 13 and moved to an apartment... i was always extremely jealous and frustrated surrounded by peers who had never even thought about money as a factor in any decision they made.

senior year my father wanted me to apply to fewer schools because the applications were so expensive.

i went to college on scholarship and didn't go on spring break once, until senior year. sophomore year, before i got the hang of online poker, i would have one of our fraternity pledges bring back food from the dining halls for me because all i could afford was ramen.

i may have a warped sense of reality these days, since i'm on the run of a lifetime. but i know an inevitable downswing is coming, they always do. i wake up every day lately as if i'm still in some kind of fuzzy dream. i DEFINITELY appreciate just how much [censored] money i've been winning. i've worked hard at poker, harder than many, many people, but i'd be naive to deny that a single twist of fate doesn't have these past two months turning out all differently.

and there are moments, times when i'm in the elevator and someone gets in on a random floor, and i'm just smiling ear to ear and they're looking at me in confusion, like "what is this weirdo doing?"

if they only knew!
Old 07-19-2007, 06:22 PM

JMac, start using the word "housemate" rather than "roommate".

I love this thread because I spent 5 years living in a crazy share house and the coolest brag I had was that one of the guys did lighting at the best nightclub in town and my name was permanently on the VIP list. This obviously pales in comparison to JMac's situation.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i come from no money. i grew up in a pretty wealthy area in long island where my dad worked his ass off to basically just keep us afloat. he was laid off multiple times, we lost the house i grew up in around the time i was 13 and moved to an apartment... i was always extremely jealous and frustrated surrounded by peers who had never even thought about money as a factor in any decision they made.

senior year my father wanted me to apply to fewer schools because the applications were so expensive.

i went to college on scholarship and didn't go on spring break once, until senior year. sophomore year, before i got the hang of online poker, i would have one of our fraternity pledges bring back food from the dining halls for me because all i could afford was ramen.

i may have a warped sense of reality these days, since i'm on the run of a lifetime. but i know an inevitable downswing is coming, they always do. i wake up every day lately as if i'm still in some kind of fuzzy dream. i DEFINITELY appreciate just how much [censored] money i've been winning. i've worked hard at poker, harder than many, many people, but i'd be naive to deny that a single twist of fate doesn't have these past two months turning out all differently.

and there are moments, times when i'm in the elevator and someone gets in on a random floor, and i'm just smiling ear to ear and they're looking at me in confusion, like "what is this weirdo doing?"

if they only knew!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a good story, have you been putting some of the money away?
Old 07-19-2007, 06:27 PM

krantz downswing is not coming enjoy your millions. If the NLH ever gives you trouble pm me for UB BJ coaching ask mattsuspect how well it's done for him this week.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:34 PM

When you start to run bad, MOVE DOWN, when you run good again move back up. If only every successful player did this none of them would ever go broke. FACT.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

if they only knew!

[/ QUOTE ]
really good post...changed my opinion of you (not that i feel my opinion should or does matter towards anything)

horrible post bbv wise tho
Old 07-19-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Awesome.

1) Do you think statements like, "He made 4 years of my salary last night!" helps a guy like Krantz have a better appreciation of how much freaking money that is? Not implying that they don't get it already but I think throwing around the money like that online might make someone lose touch of a $18/hr working person and how fortunate a position they are in life to be able to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Jay and Emil, like all good high stakes players, view their poker bankroll primarily in terms of buy-ins. Otherwise, dealing with the inevitable $100k+ downswings at nosebleed NL would be psychologically crippling. If Jay thought to himself, "Wow, I just made John's annual salary four times over in one session," he'd have to puke when he lost 4 times my annual salary in one session.

That said, Jay and Emil worked up from the bottom, Emil, for example, started with 10 cent giveaway freerolls and never made a deposit (boy, I bet THAT is gonna piss some people off), and they know how fortunate they are to be situated where they are. But I don't know how much you really can value a dollar if you make $500,000 in a particularly sick afternoon. How can you really wrap your mind around that soberly?

[ QUOTE ]
2) Hypothetically, if both roommates coached you for 1 hour each night and staked you say $50,000 after 30 days of coaching, do you think you could quit your 9-5 and live off your winnings after 3 months of grinding with that bankroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was living off my winnings for over a year playing 1/2 - 3/6nl before I took this job, so I can support myself now. In fact, I've probably made more money at 200nl (>$50k) than almost anybody online for the sad fact that anybody decent moves up past 200nl after a short while and I never really moved up beyond it due to a combination of not playing much, always having to cash out to cover the cost of living in Manhattan, and not being a significant winner at the higher stakes when I played them.

I took the job because poker wasn't a fulfilling interesting career to me, and while I could survive on it, I wasn't making serious enough money to justify continuing. Plus, as Emil and Jay really anyone who knows me can tell you, my emotional control at the poker table absolutely sucks. I tilt, I break [censored] (mice, keyboards, glasses, my POS coffee table, in case you're wondering why the legs wobble, Ezra), and I really like being able to have a losing session now and think, well, I've got a job, I don't need to really stress about the rent. Playing poker for champagne money is more fun and way less stressful than playing for grocery money.

I've never really played, say, 3/6nl - 10/20nl as my range, so I don't know if a $50k bankroll and 30 hours of coaching would be enough for me to be a winner at those stakes, but I'd certainly like to think so. Watching Jay and Emil go on this sick run has been positively inspiring, and I've started reading the strategy forums again and I feel like I've really been playing very good poker recently. I'm planning to move up again soon if I could get some goddamn hands in.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Do your coworkers know how much your roommates make monthly? Cause that would be humorous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find their results more interesting than my work, so I almost can't shut the [censored] up about how they're doing to my co-workers. The day I noticed they were # 1 and 2 on highstakesdb.com since June, I got a big grin and called over a few co-workers, "hey dudes, wanna see something disgusting?"
Old 07-19-2007, 07:36 PM

krantz=pr1nnyraid=jay
whitelime=emil

who was the 3rd guy in the video or was J-Mac the 3rd guy in the video

edit: i guess this would be a good time to ask how you met jay and emil. also, when did you notice that they were going in a different direction in regards to poker than you were?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dude ill obv help you for free, im sure emil feels the same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto.