Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: aba caught bluffing against bobby baldwin in 1.8mil pot

wow. it is ridiculous how [censored] results oriented everyone has become over ONE HAND that no one even knows the details too.

this whole thread puts me on tilt.

honestly JH, wtf are you talking about? your post is just horrible.

"He is better online than he is live. "

Thanks Captain Obvious.

"Farha and Baldwin are better live and may have better reads on Brian than he would understand at this time in his tender life."

Really? Hm, funny that Brian is up on Farha. Still.

And Brian has stated that Baldwin's play impressed him greatly and he respects him. But yeah, they have magical "reads" when YOU DON'T KNOW THE DETAILS OF A SINGLE HAND. Farha's read was SO GOOD that he knew he was drawing to running 9/T and his flush was no good but he still called with no dfjklghsdf odds?!?! god this stupidity just [censored] kills me. NICE READ SAMMY!

"Farha did not set that up all in one hand."

Yeah he set it up by playing like a [censored] donkey and being down 1M+. Nice plan Sammy.

"How many people have you heard of losing two million live in two days?"
Yeah, this matter because its the biggest [censored] NL/PLO game of all time. Oh wait, NO IT DOESNT.

"Brain is obviously a brilliant young player. I doubt he can beat Bobby's Room. Sure doesn't look like it."

Good [censored] god. I didn't know you were sweating all the hands, John. Thanks for your expert opinion.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really wonder if Bobby's actually any good. It's nice to imagine that he is, but hard to see how that's possible if it's true he's hardly played in the last 20 years.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't have to imagine...he's one of the best poker players of all time. He's seen people make plays on him countless times and more often or not he catches them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Chilltown... when my friends ask me about Bobby Baldwin, I just tell them that he plays the man, not the cards. Know what I mean?
Old 07-14-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why are people all of a sudden acting like Brian is the worst player in the world now and can't back up any of his claims and Bobby Baldwin is TeH gOd because of one hand. I'm not taking either side, but since when did one pot mean you are either good/no good at poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right that's not the case. But...people were saying Brain was God because he went on a three-day heater.

[/ QUOTE ]

More like people think he is god because he's crushed every stake he has ever played pretty quickly online. And from his previous blog entries I'd say he is still up in these huge live games to the tune of 500k-1million, but I could be wrong. He is at least even though I'm sure.

[ QUOTE ]
Bobby "the Owl" Baldwin was a top road gambler before the won the World Series. He played the Oklahoma/Texas circuit at a very early age against the top players at the time. Later, in Las Vegas, it was generally understood that Baldwin was a cut above everyone else. The legend behind his name is what enouraged Steve Wynn to give him an unprecedented career path. He plays often enough and high enough to keep his hand in.

Brian is a nice enough fellow but he has himself fooled at this time. He is better online than he is live. Check the results. I don't care how many hands he has played, Farha and Baldwin are better live and may have better reads on Brian than he would understand at this time in his tender life. It is not one hand but a series of hands that sets up the big pot bust-out situation. He called a 400K bet with a straight in Omaha when there was a pair on the board. Then he blogged about it being a good play. Farha did not set that up all in one hand.

How many people have you heard of losing two million live in two days? Sure, Brian has a bankroll. So does Andy Beal. The regulars and winners in Bobby's Room are world class poker players. One way you evaluate your play is asking yourself how well you are doing in a particular joint or at a particular level.

Brain is obviously a brilliant young player. I doubt he can beat Bobby's Room. Sure doesn't look like it.

Two million is not a lot of money if you say it real fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you pick one questionable play of Brians and that makes him worse than Farha/Baldwin? I could pick out several poorly played hands by Farha on HSP, or almost any live pro you worship that isn't actually any good (maybe in relative to the field, but that's it).

Like I said, even after this downswing Brian is still up in these games over a pretty small sample. 2 million is a lot of money, but given the stakes and how deep it plays losing a couple million isn't that crazy. You never heard about somebody losing 2 million live because the stakes and or variance was much smaller before than it is now.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:36 PM

All,

Maybe Brian is out of his league against these players in live games this big. Or maybe Brian has just gotten unlucky the last couple of sessions. It will take a lot more play on Brian's part to see how he really stacks up against the highest stakes players in the world. I am far from an aba fanboy, but it's imo pretty badass that he's willing to step up to the plate and give it a shot at these insane stakes.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:39 PM

el d,
maybe? wtf. things are obv cut and dry. we all know that our opinions are 100% right. you can take your maybes back to your own forum.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:45 PM

I love how Brian might still be up for the trip, despite having multiple 7 digit bluffs that didn't work, and people are saying he might be out of his league at these stakes.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow. it is ridiculous how [censored] results oriented everyone has become over ONE HAND that no one even knows the details too.

this whole thread puts me on tilt.

honestly JH, wtf are you talking about? your post is just horrible.

"He is better online than he is live. "

Thanks Captain Obvious.

"Farha and Baldwin are better live and may have better reads on Brian than he would understand at this time in his tender life."

Really? Hm, funny that Brian is up on Farha. Still.

And Brian has stated that Baldwin's play impressed him greatly and he respects him. But yeah, they have magical "reads" when YOU DON'T KNOW THE DETAILS OF A SINGLE HAND. Farha's read was SO GOOD that he knew he was drawing to running 9/T and his flush was no good but he still called with no dfjklghsdf odds?!?! god this stupidity just [censored] kills me. NICE READ SAMMY!

"Farha did not set that up all in one hand."

Yeah he set it up by playing like a [censored] donkey and being down 1M+. Nice plan Sammy.

"How many people have you heard of losing two million live in two days?"
Yeah, this matter because its the biggest [censored] NL/PLO game of all time. Oh wait, NO IT DOESNT.

"Brain is obviously a brilliant young player. I doubt he can beat Bobby's Room. Sure doesn't look like it."

Good [censored] god. I didn't know you were sweating all the hands, John. Thanks for your expert opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol qft. this is pretty much what i would have said in my post if i wasnt lazy.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:48 PM

it appears that he's just out of his league and cannot compete with these live pros....

it's a shame.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:55 PM

He obviously will only get better by playing at these stakes, and im sure hes better than SOME of the players sitting in this game.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:58 PM

A team of you guys should get together and pen Rounders Part 2: Mikey takes on Vegas