Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Re: TV cooking contest shows

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was kind of funny, in that it seems like his own hard-assedness came back to guilt him up into, as he was saying, being even more of a team player now to make up for it, and therefore almost cancelling himself out of the competition. He needs to find a happy medium between the two crazinesses. It spoke well of him that he cared enough to try, especially after he kind of painted himself emotionally into a corner in all those other shows that made it embarassing to try to tiptoe your way out of.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah you could tell he was trying to get along better with the others and he seemed to be less grouchy. He took Brian's leadership very well. I wonder if his earlier tantrums will hurt his career in the restaurant industry. Will people want to hire him you think?

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I liked that one of the waitresses looked and dressed like a high-end stripper.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. I didn't notice any waitresses at all. Only Casey. Weird.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:53 PM

He's already the head chef somewhere, so I don't think it will matter much what he does here. Also, chefs legendarily need to be tough, so lots of people will like a guy who looks like he will take charge. In my experience, being an a-hole is not at all a negative to many business owners when it comes to their managers. They want someone who will be followed and improve the bottom line, not be liked. That also takes the heat off them so they get to be the good guy by comparison. Plus, a lot of them get into a mental space where they don't really like any employees anyway, so what's the difference? He should do fine, unless he starts to lose an owner money.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:42 PM

Who's watching Top Chef with me tonight? This is quite a challenge! I missed part of it so I'm hoping someone will fill me in on what the one chef did that was such a disaster.

(Blarg, you planning on watching?)
Old 09-13-2007, 08:48 AM

I'm reading Anthony Bourdain's blog and am running late for work. (lol, he's pretty funny)

Great challenge last night - prepare dinner for Continental Airlines Business Class. This is where the chefs should have been able to shine. They only had to make 18 servings ( [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ) and had a wide variety of meat and side dishes available to them.

I thought it was interesting how many of them chose fish. Would you ever order fish on an airplane? I don't know if I would. According to Bourdain, besides the problems with the overcooked broccolini (i hate that stuff) CJ's halibut was overcooked and his mint sauce tasted like toothpaste. Eww.

Bourdain also said that Sara ruined her salmon long before she boarded the plane. And LOL at Brian's humongous steak! That was too funny. What woman wants a ginormous piece of sirloin on an airline flight? Not a bright decision there.

Filet Mignon -

I thought Dale's filet looked the most appetizing. A reasonable portion of steak served up with wild mushrooms. What's not to like? I would love something like that on an airplane.

Here's what Bourdain wrote:

"Regular readers might have noticed that I am bored by -- and generally unimpressed with -- filet mignon. But if there's one piece of steak perfectly suited for a business class in-flight meal, it's this tender (yet relatively indestructible), flavorless, fat-less cliche."

I never eat filet mignon because I can't afford it, I was surprised to hear Bourdain say it is normally flavorless. Is this a typical complaint? Any filet mignon eaters out there agree or disagree?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:04 PM

Top Chef finale starts in 1 hour!
Old 09-26-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you ever order fish on an airplane? I don't know if I would.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a butterfish on Al Italia. It was pretty good.

[ QUOTE ]
I never eat filet mignon because I can't afford it, I was surprised to hear Bourdain say it is normally flavorless. Is this a typical complaint? Any filet mignon eaters out there agree or disagree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's just saying that it's very overrated, not that it's really that bad.

I had a fliet mignon once and it was indistinguishable from every other steak I've ever had. I generally don't like beef though, so I'm not any kind of expert.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:16 PM

Filet mignon done well is very tender and lean, and if you like beef, you'll like the flavor fine. It has gone out of fashion lately because it's often thought bland compared to some other cuts. However, lean and tender are some pretty good virtues too.

Katie, go to Chinatown for filet mignon. You can get it for lunch for six bucks.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Filet mignon done well is very tender and lean, and if you like beef, you'll like the flavor fine. It has gone out of fashion lately because it's often thought bland compared to some other cuts. However, lean and tender are some pretty good virtues too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought filet mignon was the preferred cut. What are the other cuts with more flavor? (sorry for the dumb questions. I don't really know much about steak.)
Old 09-26-2007, 10:17 PM

lol I like Brian saying "us seafood chefs don't even consider trout a fish." Nice cop out for making a terrible dish.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol I like Brian saying "us seafood chefs don't even consider trout a fish." Nice cop out for making a terrible dish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that sounded really silly to me. Also lol at Hung for starting to pretend he put lemon in his dish when we all know he didn't.

What was up with that comment to Casey, that being from Texas she must have a lot of experience with elk. Is there elk in Texas?