Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Stupidest thing you\'ve heard in school?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's also criminally stupid to classify native Haitians as African Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I’m not sure what you’re saying b/c you’re kind of confusing. I would agree with you that the native peoples of Haiti were not African-Americans. They were Arawak. The nativity of the Africans living in Haiti then and now, never came up.

I never classified Haitians as African Americans (though they were Africans living in the Americas). I was merely pointing to the Africans in Haiti during the 19th century who led the first successful black independence movement. This event had a major impact on the lives of native Africans and African-Americans. It buoyed all the subsequent African independence movements during the 20th century and gave hope to the slaves in America to start their own move for emancipation. It’s all heavily interrelated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your words:

"What’s really stupid (if you’re not BSing), is that a group of American teachers would try to convince a Haitian kid that there was no African-American holocaust. That’s like criminally stupid."

You're saying that black people, no matter what their nationality, are African Americans.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:47 PM

ban Jim Jimeniez please, thanks.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In 10th grade I asked my chemistry teacher why a hot shower causes steam when it's not 212 degrees, and she didn't know. I still don't know to this day, and I blame her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evaporative cooling. Hot water molecules bounce around off of each other, echanging energy. There is a distribution of kinetic energies among the water molecules, and some are kicked up to much higher than the average kinetic energy. These molecules can break free of the liquid's surface and become water vapor.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense, that some molecules would get enough energy to become vapor, but then why does anything have a boiling point in the first place? (ie what is so special at the boiling point?) Is it the point where the average energy is at the point to become vapor? (This is a serious question)

[/ QUOTE ]

Short answer: You're confusing boiling and evaporation, two totally different concepts. Evaporation has to do with molecules near the surface of a liquid escaping and boiling point is the maximum temperature at which a liquid can remain a liquid. Just wiki it.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I’m not sure what you’re saying b/c you’re kind of confusing. I would agree with you that the native peoples of Haiti were not African-Americans. They were Arawak. The nativity of the Africans living in Haiti then and now, never came up.

I never classified Haitians as African Americans (though they were Africans living in the Americas). I was merely pointing to the Africans in Haiti during the 19th century who led the first successful black independence movement. This event had a major impact on the lives of native Africans and African-Americans. It buoyed all the subsequent African independence movements during the 20th century and gave hope to the slaves in America to start their own move for emancipation. It’s all heavily interrelated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your words:

"What’s really stupid (if you’re not BSing), is that a group of American teachers would try to convince a Haitian kid that there was no African-American holocaust. That’s like criminally stupid."

You're saying that black people, no matter what their nationality, are African Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he's not.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your words:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure I'm not saying that too.

But if you must insist that that is what I'm saying, go for it. I don't know what you're trying to prove/argue, but w/e, you win.

See this:

I was merely pointing to the Africans in Haiti during the 19th century who led the first successful black independence movement. This event had a major impact on the lives of native Africans AND African-Americans. It buoyed all the subsequent African independence movements during the 20th century and gave hope to the slaves in America to start their own move for emancipation.

In other words, these historical facts (the Haitian Revolution and the centuries long system of slavery) are interrelated. There is a shared history there.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My daughter, who is a high school freshman, overheard this exchange in class:

Girl: What is the largest number?

Teacher: [responding tentatively] "Ahhh...infinity."

Girl: [In all seriousness] "No, I mean before infinity."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually a pretty good question. I am curious as to what the largest number computers can get to and it also brings up questions about whether math is created or discovered.

[/ QUOTE ]

From a practical standpoint computers can count to infinity. The size of the number is limited only by the amount of memory in the computer. What that actual number is for a modern PC is WELL beyond the range of numbers we have names for.

I also don't think this is a stupid question. Infinity is one of those hard simple-concepts for a lot of people. Asking what infinity - 1 is, is a good step to understanding what infinity actually means.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of saying all this, why dont you just say Graham's Number
Old 06-03-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ban Jim Jimeniez please, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times have you been banned again KKF?

And you keep coming back. Sad.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Student: "Chef, we don't the have scotch bonnets for this recipe. What should we do?"

-pause-

Instructor: "Just substitute parsley."

I want my money back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this one is getting enough respect. This might be the dumbest thing ever said.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Student: "Chef, we don't the have scotch bonnets for this recipe. What should we do?"

-pause-

Instructor: "Just substitute parsley."

I want my money back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this one is getting enough respect. This might be the dumbest thing ever said.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had to google scotch bonnet, but yeah, this is pretty awful, in context.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:07 PM

This thread is USELESS without pics