Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Heavy Metal - If there was a God, this is what he would listen to

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just want you to SHRED. This is MUSIC not literature.
KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

This shows the redundancy of your opinion. Go watch some television.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain. I will too.

My point was that you copy+paste an article about a MUSIC act that talks about their philosophy, views, beliefs, etc.. and does not barely, if at all, describes their MUSIC. That to back up a statement that people's MUSICAL tastes are bad. So people are supposed to see you as a good arbiter of musical taste because you like someone with a controversial lyrics? Burzum's music is f'ing boring as hell and the article you so thoughtfully CTRL+V'ed does not address AT ALL whether they can play decent metal music. It just goes on about his world views.

I am not saying I wouldn't like Slayer less if they sang about life at the local mall, I probably would. But I would still listen to Reign in Blood and feel f'ing awesome doing so. I don't care if Burzum has a Phd in Theology and is the head of a Satanist church of 1 million if his MUSIC puts me to sleep.

Maybe you just enjoy trolling.

KJS
Old 06-05-2007, 07:51 PM

Music and idealogy are inseperable, and as such Burzums music reflects his idealogical profundity. Music is a direct interpretation of will, and music works best when idealogy is closely correlated with the sounds of the music. This is why if Slayer wrote about going to the mall still set to a backdrop of choatic guitar riffs the lyrics simply wouldn't work.

For further information on Burzum, the link contains musical reviews to all of their albums.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Cannibal Corpse
KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

NO.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Music and idealogy are inseperable, and as such Burzums music reflects his idealogical profundity. Music is a direct interpretation of will, and music works best when idealogy is closely correlated with the sounds of the music. This is why if Slayer wrote about going to the mall still set to a backdrop of choatic guitar riffs the lyrics simply wouldn't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Still not a fan of his music or ideology. I would give his ideology a pass (see mention of Genocide SS on my album list) if the music moved me but it does not. Also note my disdain for commercial metal throughout this thread and many other music threads on 2p2. That stuff is ideologically vacuous and therefore largely unappealing to me. But I will not necessarily disregard all of it, some of the musical parts can be appealing. But major points off for allowing suits to control their artistic output.

We can agree to disagree on Cannibal Corpse and Burzum. I think CC have 3 amazing albums. You seem to hate them. Like I said, I have read Lords of Chaos, which covers Burzum and Varg in depth and still not a fan. You are. C'est la vie. Boring world if we all agreed all the time.

KJS
Old 06-05-2007, 08:13 PM

I'm not a huge fan of their entire catalog but Nevermore's "Dreaming Neon Black" is one of the best metal cds I own
Old 06-05-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

We can agree to disagree on Cannibal Corpse and Burzum. I think CC have 3 amazing albums. You seem to hate them. Like I said, I have read Lords of Chaos, which covers Burzum and Varg in depth and still not a fan. You are. C'est la vie. Boring world if we all agreed all the time.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread deals with Cannibal Corpse and opinions on the band: http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/YaBB....9846;start=0#0
Old 06-06-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread deals with Cannibal Corpse and opinions on the band: http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/YaBB....9846;start=0#0

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem smart. That is pretty lazy.

KJS
Old 06-06-2007, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Is Pig Destroyer "grindcore"??? Just because Scott Hull is in Pig Destroyer AND Agoraphobic Nosebleed doesn't automatically make PD grindcore. I think the blast beats are too few and far between to be considered grindcore. As far as Grindcore, I only like a select few.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Misery Index - The Great Depression

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm about 100% sure that Misery Index is not grindcore either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you. But instead of saying that this and this band is not grind (note that I didn't say grindcore, I just said grind), how about telling us ignorant folks in what genre would you put Pig Destroyer or Misery Index.

If you are anal and think certain band isn't grind, 'cos there are elements of punk/rock/thrash/whatever in their music, you have 200 extreme music genres, but not a single band in any of those.

http://shop.relapse.com/artist/artis...ArtistID=10081

[ QUOTE ]

Virginia’s extreme sound nihilists PIG DESTROYER deliver savage grindcore that is both intentionally confrontational and thoroughly pummeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://shop.relapse.com/artist/artis...ArtistID=10163

[ QUOTE ]

The music of Misery Index combines the most intense elements of metal with a distinct grind approach, added with a touch of hardcore and extreme punk attitude and passion, thus pushing the limits of metal with an insane mix of regressive thrashing rhythms, corrupting breakdowns and energetic ferocity.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misery_Index_%28band%29

[ QUOTE ]

Misery Index is a deathgrind band

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-06-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Burzum.

[/ QUOTE ]
Early albums are ok, but I don't care about the synth stuff. And what comes to Christian Vikernes' ideology, the guy simply is a moran.

[ QUOTE ]

Black metal:

Darkthrone, Immortal, Emperor, Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir, Celtic Frost, Bathory, Gorgoroth, Beherit, Arcturus, Summoning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Darkthrone's A Blaze In a Northern Sky is amazing. One of my all time favourite albums and easily my favourite black metal album.

It owes a lot (in a good way) to Bathory's Under The Sign Of Black Mark. I'm a big fan of early Bathory, but don't like the viking stuff.

Early Beherit is also divine, even though the production is beyond horrible.

Mayhem's De Mysteriis is a classic, but I'm in the camp that doesn't like the vocals.

Immortal and Gorgoroth are good, but I never got into Emperor, Dimmu or Arcturus. I like my black metal cold and dark, not symphonic.

I loved Celtic Frost until they went glam (didn't we all), but they made one hell of a comeback album last year. Amazing live band too. Last summer they played all the old songs at slower tempo so they all fitted together with the Monotheist songs.

Last time I saw 'em two months ago they played the old songs faster again.

Satyricon needs more love. The new album is excellent (not according to black metal purists, but I'm into good music and this album delivers)

Satyricon - Now, Diabolical (live)

Susperia's debut album Predominance is amazing. Excellent combination of thrash and black.

Illusions Of Evil (audio)
Old 06-06-2007, 11:33 AM

Satyricon never really did anything of note but managed to create a couple of solid black metal albums along the way. Now Diabolical is better than a lot of the rubbish coming out nowadays in the metal genre.

"And what comes to Christian Vikernes' ideology, the guy simply is a moran."

He's the closest thing to a genious in metal, and along with Mayhem, Immortal and Darkthrone most embodies the spirit of black metal philosophy (and is the most copied). But I guess any talk of pride in your race is a sin for most Americans now so you don't offend your black neighbours. I'm confused as to how you can like cold/dark black metal and fail to appreciate Burzum more than having a few OK albums. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is the most meloncholy black metal album I have ever heard and in short, a masterpiece of classical scale. His two synth albums divide opinion a lot of the time but I enjoy Hlidskjalf, Daudi Baldrs just sounds too much like it was written on a SNES for me to enjoy.