Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2007, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Hoss TBF - part of Think Tank?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It may be obvious that we are loads of Scandinavians adoring Pokkermon, but if you look at 100/200 (datamining) he has dominated.

Wanna look for the highest stakes? 200/400 and higher? He has killed too often not to be considered the best, but I was not very harsh. Did I just just mention Mr X? No?

I mentioned a guy who has been killing games lately and winning loads heads up...Papawarbucks and others, I had a little bit of respect for you but now I just hope he robs you of everything you have.
100 % domination and lose your BR to him....that's the only solution and our predictions have been right so far......

POKKERMON KILL THEM AGAIN PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

you are dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you fell into the trap....You must be dumber then dumb [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Are you an imbecile with too much milk Pokerboob?

[/ QUOTE ]

someone band this retard.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It may be obvious that we are loads of Scandinavians adoring Pokkermon, but if you look at 100/200 (datamining) he has dominated.

Wanna look for the highest stakes? 200/400 and higher? He has killed too often not to be considered the best, but I was not very harsh. Did I just just mention Mr X? No?

I mentioned a guy who has been killing games lately and winning loads heads up...Papawarbucks and others, I had a little bit of respect for you but now I just hope he robs you of everything you have.
100 % domination and lose your BR to him....that's the only solution and our predictions have been right so far......

POKKERMON KILL THEM AGAIN PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

you are dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you fell into the trap....You must be dumber then dumb [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Are you an imbecile with too much milk Pokerboob?

[/ QUOTE ]

someone band this retard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Predictable reply by a humourless and recycled vegetable.

Go away for your daily walk and collect hamster droppings. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2007, 05:24 PM

I don't see why this has escalated into childish name calling.

Schneids, who is an excellent player in his own right, and one of the winningest posters here, never bragged on himself or got into name calling. He humbly didn't even try to put himself into the "best of the best" class, even though he's one of the few here who could even think to hang with guys like Hoss or pokkermon.

On the contrary, he even gave props to pokkermon in this thread. He was simply stating his preference for Hoss' game. The thing is Cedrico, you and I wouldn't even understand half the plays these guys make (and/or why they make them), in order to determine whether or not they're playing good or bad in a typical session. Schneids however, can. So no offense, but I'll take his opinion over yours. I also think you're misjudging him. He didn't set out to tear down pokkermon. He was just pointing out some of the things that make Hoss' game so good.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:43 PM

Hmmm-as founding member and President Emeritus the best I can do is give you a big thumbs up to the man himself and let him take it from there. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really think you guys are way underestimating how important having a combination of razor sharp insticts, logical intelligence, and a whole lot of gamble it takes to become a world class poker player. Being super smart is really only one part of it. Of course, I do believe that any very intelligent person could become a winning poker player, but that's not what this thread is about. I challenge you to name one world class poker player who is not a sick gambler at heart. It is the necessary ingredient to becoming the best. Often times, the super geniuses are just too smart to be degenerate gamblers and they take a much more mathematical approach to the game (sklansky, chen, mason malmuth etc) and their success is limited. Very rarely, and I do believe as the games get bigger you will see more and more, do you find a super genius sick gambler and from observation it looks like that's what we have in Hoss. Although I don't think I have ever met him. Anyway, for someone who has developed a new fascination with trying to learn the ins and outs of SH LHE I have really enjoyed this thread. From observing some of the high limit LHE matches, and playing a little, I think Hoss is an awesome player and if he stays away from the NL and PL games he should make tons of money in todays poker world...unless of course he traded me LHE tutoring lessons for NLH tutoring lessons lol.

Daniel Alaei

[/ QUOTE ]

dan you named 3 things it takes to be a great player, logical intelligence, sharp instints and gamble. but sharp instincts are a product of intelligence. that means 2/3 categories are intelligence and having a lot of gamble to be one of the best is debatable. IMO most people underestimate how important intelligence is, i am constantly struck by the huge correlation between between how IQ gets higher as the stakes get higher. all the good players at the highest games are really really smart.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:14 AM

Someone want to let me in on this book. i.e. is it a real book or metaphorical, and what's the title, lol?

Hey, I'm a little clueless, please be patient.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
who else immediatly ordered the chen/ankeman book after reading hoss post?

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks... bill/jerrod didn't do it for me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really think you guys are way underestimating how important having a combination of razor sharp insticts, logical intelligence, and a whole lot of gamble it takes to become a world class poker player. Being super smart is really only one part of it. Of course, I do believe that any very intelligent person could become a winning poker player, but that's not what this thread is about. I challenge you to name one world class poker player who is not a sick gambler at heart. It is the necessary ingredient to becoming the best. Often times, the super geniuses are just too smart to be degenerate gamblers and they take a much more mathematical approach to the game (sklansky, chen, mason malmuth etc) and their success is limited. Very rarely, and I do believe as the games get bigger you will see more and more, do you find a super genius sick gambler and from observation it looks like that's what we have in Hoss. Although I don't think I have ever met him. Anyway, for someone who has developed a new fascination with trying to learn the ins and outs of SH LHE I have really enjoyed this thread. From observing some of the high limit LHE matches, and playing a little, I think Hoss is an awesome player and if he stays away from the NL and PL games he should make tons of money in todays poker world...unless of course he traded me LHE tutoring lessons for NLH tutoring lessons lol.

Daniel Alaei

[/ QUOTE ]

dan you named 3 things it takes to be a great player, logical intelligence, sharp instints and gamble. but sharp instincts are a product of intelligence. that means 2/3 categories are intelligence and having a lot of gamble to be one of the best is debatable. IMO most people underestimate how important intelligence is, i am constantly struck by the huge correlation between between how IQ gets higher as the stakes get higher. all the good players at the highest games are really really smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstand what "instincts" are in relation to poker. Sure, they come from your brain, but most of poker does in essence... it's not like you have to make a clutch jumper over Craig Ehlo to win the WSOP or anything. Physically all you have to do is sit upright for 15 hrs/day and not fidget too much when you flop a FH. Online, you don't even have to do that!

Instinct is processed in a totally different part of your brain than logical thought. It's meant be that way so we can react quickly... like stepping up in the pocket when a 300 lb. defensive end is bearing down on our blind side. In poker you don't have to react quickly in live games, but you only have 30 seconds online in most cases. Even super geniuses won't always be able to process all the data needed to come up with an optimal answer that fast ALL of the time, especially when having to make game theoretic adjustments to other players.

Having super-sharp, highly trained instincts allows you to take in all the available information, make your reads, and decide on the optimal play quickly enough to exploit your intellectual advantage.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:25 AM

Your allusion to football is appropriate in as much as it is a sport. Intensive training in any sport is helpful in the development of this "instinctual" ability. Intensive training in individual sports like wrestling and martial arts is even more helpful, I would think. It could well be that this sort of training is what differentiates an incredibly smart, talented successful poker player from the "super sick crazy genius gambler" described by another poster. While it is possible to learn to become an excellent and even winning poker player by loving the game, reading the books and working hard, there are unique individual experiences that bring that something extra to the table that some players seem to have. I believe Doyle Brunson was a basketball player, wasn't he? I know for a fact that Hoss_TBF is an athlete.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:43 PM

It depends if you find the patterns and correlations where you may connect one activity with poker aspects; I know that my idol Pokkermon is one of the best chess players around in FIDE ...