Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: slut?
yes 92 74.19%
no 32 25.81%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2007, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Pick your salary

The question is certainly much more interesting if there is a yearly cap for the doubling every year option, something like 5-10 million would make it close. I would have to think long and hard about taking the 2.5k, abject poverty is not at all like being broke in college, that first year would be hell, no energy because of poor nutrition, no entertainment $ (i'm assuming you can't rock the public library here) no car, no phone the cheapest clothing you can find and shitball apartment in a lousy area of town. And this is the best case scenario. Year 2 would also be crappy, but those people who think year 4 would be tough are joking i hope. After living off 2.5, 5 and 10k a year 20gs would be opulent. Far better apartment, food a car and enough left over for eating out/going to bars occasionally, compared to the previous years this would feel like the greatest year of your life. Every year after that is cake, followed by double chocolate cake, followed by eating cake out of a stripper's pussy.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:04 AM

Am I the only one who finds the girl in the above picture to be kind of attractive?

Just wondering...
Old 03-05-2007, 07:29 AM

I think the first year is absolutely horrible. The second sucks, but by year 4, we are home free. here are my ideas.

1. Pick a southern state where there isn't a real chance for dying of exposure, also pick a rural area that is fairly poor. If you look hard enough you can find a crappy shared room for $150 a month. We are talking worse than your dorm room.
2. Learn to hunt and fish--lots of public lands around. Use your work internet to learn to make traps and build your own fishing pole.
3. have a vegetable garden--same as above

I know i could survive on ~$58 a month eating expenses. These guys suggest $20 is doable.

http://getting-green.blogspot.com/20...000-month.html
Old 03-05-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt anyone on this forum could live for even 4 month on just a prorated portion of $2500 a year in America.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is easily done. Commit a felony, nothing that will get you put into one of the nasty state prisons, just the local house of correction and do some time. State pays for your room and board for the next few years.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thremp,

"Cool. Glad you plan on never having a family nor leaving your house on your 1.4mil. Enjoy!"

You're just trolling now, right?

You're saying you can't retire nicely on 1.4M post-tax? Come on, man, that is a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

While in your 20s?

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG YOU DON'T LIVE OFF THE PRINCIPLE!
Old 03-05-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is easily done. Commit a felony, nothing that will get you put into one of the nasty state prisons, just the local house of correction and do some time. State pays for your room and board for the next few years.

[/ QUOTE ]
but then you don't go into work. I think you'd need to keep your job
Old 03-05-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how many people that say living on 2.5k isn't hard live with thier parents and have never had to be responsible for living on thier own? my guess is a high percentage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or else have only been carefully eased into living on their own, without any serious doubts or fears to worry about. For most responders here, I think this question has just sparked "a thinly concealed brag post."

Pretty much all the totally coddled kids with no life experience I met in college were convinced they were masters of the universe capable of basically anything, and they sure loved saying so. Lots of these kids couldn't even manage the minor task of cranking out good grades when they had no pressure on them at all, no jobs, and far more money than they needed to get through life. GG challenges!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the first year is absolutely horrible. The second sucks, but by year 4, we are home free. here are my ideas.

1. Pick a southern state where there isn't a real chance for dying of exposure, also pick a rural area that is fairly poor. If you look hard enough you can find a crappy shared room for $150 a month. We are talking worse than your dorm room.
2. Learn to hunt and fish--lots of public lands around. Use your work internet to learn to make traps and build your own fishing pole.
3. have a vegetable garden--same as above

I know i could survive on ~$58 a month eating expenses. These guys suggest $20 is doable.

http://getting-green.blogspot.com/20...000-month.html

[/ QUOTE ]

In college I got by consistently on far less than $100 in food a month; I actually got by on less than a dollar a day for extremely long stretches. The financial aid office told me I was actually too poor to qualify; they figured nobody could live like that and I must have been lying about my income.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure your chances of dying would be greater then 50% in the first year with 2500$.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow

think about that statement again and if u still think it's true, think about it a few more times
Old 03-05-2007, 03:58 PM

I'm stunned at the amount of people who think you could retire in your 20s to a decent standard of living. Some basic questions:

1) What type of inflation adjusted ROI will you be able to achieve?
2) What type of RoR would be acceptable for your retirement? What type of SD do your investments have? If you think you can generate 7-8% ROI after inflation you like have a good chance to busto.
3) College, children, etc. You want to try to manage this while trying to keep a fixed income?

There is no doubt that you'd be able to do this, but to have any decent semblance of life or be able to do much of anything is going to require greater than 1.4mil I'm very stunned at the amt of young people who think that if they found 1.4mil they could just sit around forever. You can easily retire on this if you are comfortable living on <40k forever.