Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 11:20 AM

Default Re: obscure MUST SEE movies

[ QUOTE ]
Take another movie on that list like Dog Day Afternoon (another one of my all-time faves, a young Al Pacino in a botched bank-robbery attempt).
I really don't think it should be counted as 'obscure' but I also suspect there are many people on this forum who have never seen or heard of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree on all counts. Fantastic movie and probably obscure enough around these parts to qualify.

cero: I love Flirting with Disaster. Is it obscure enough to warrant mention?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:03 PM

Waking Life
A really trippy film about lucid dreaming/philosophy/politics
entirely rotoscoped

Not sure how obscure it is but i'm sure many of you havn't seen it
Old 02-08-2007, 12:20 PM

i recently saw two great robert altman films from the seventies,both starring elliot gould who is phenomenal in both.

california split is a poker film,its about gould and one of his mates hanging around l.a cardrooms,and it has all the usualy altman scenes with overlapping dialogue and so on...
its a good film anyway,but the main reason to see it is elliot gould's performance-from the very first scene he steals the show,i could watch him all day.

the second one is the long goodbye,which is like a seventies l.a version of film noir-its based on a chandler novel,and elliot gould plays phillip marlowe.
its a genuinely strange film,lots of odd characters and unsettling scenes,very enjoyable.

as for films that have been mentioned already,i couldn't agree more about bob le flambeur and especially rififi...

i think i'd probably like any films set in paris in the forties featuring various gamblers and petty hoods hanging around in cool looking bars planning improbable heists,but these two are particularly good,the city just looks amazing and all the characters are interesting and fairly cool.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 PM

How about Southern Comfort ?
Make sure to get the 1981 one, not the 2001 one about a transexual.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:19 PM

I'm not sure how obscure it is, because it's on HBO all the time, but "Without Limits" is a good time.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:24 PM

Aguirre, the Wrath of God is a famous classic.
The original 'The Vanishing' on Criterion Collection.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:58 PM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

Black Cat, White Cat

solid
Old 02-08-2007, 01:58 PM

Lot's of good flicks on this list although we could quibble with the "obscurity" level of many of them.

My obscure "must see" film is "Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles" by the great Chantelle Akerman. This movie is ver famous in film critic circles but I believe it should be considered obscure because very few people have actually seen it, it is not available on DVD to my knowledge (at least not in the U.S.), and even in a film-centric city like NYC it has screened only 2 or 3 times in the past 15 years.

Ackerman's mise-en-scene and the rhythm of her shots fully envelop the viewer Dielman's hyper-ordered world, creating such tension and constriction that a dropped piece of silverware becomes one of the most shocking scenes in cinema.

Other great semi-obscure films of the '90's (available on VHS but not DVD in the U.S.) are "When the Cat's Away" by Cedric Klapisch, "In the Land of the Deaf" byNicolas Philibert and each of "La Sentinelle" and "My Sex Life . . . or How I Got Into An Argument" by the awesome Arnaud Desplechin.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:02 PM

Incident at Loch Ness--Werner Hertzog and the chick from the Miller Lite catfight commercials discover Nessie and the nature of truth.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:23 PM

I'll mention 2 somewhat obscure comedies done by skit comedy groups:

Brain Candy : This is The Kids in the Hall movie. It is about the creation of an anti-depression drug. It rules.

Wet Hot American Summer : This is about a Jewish summer camp in the early 80s. This has all the people from The State, Amy Poehler, Janine Garofalo, and Paul Rudd and Christopher Meloni in their greatest roles ever. I love this movie.