Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: The Sushi Thread

If you are ever in the Australian country town of Raymond Terrace, you will (like me) unfortunately discover that there is not a single place in the whole town that sells sushi.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:15 PM

I like sushi but will be the first to admit I have no idea what I'm eating. But I've learned a few tricks along the way to get something edible, something all beginners can use.

Being in the Midwest, this is not exactly sushi country. Oh, they make a fine sushi, but fish has to be flown in, so sometimes things are not as fresh as they should be. That's the first rule for any sushi restaurant, anywhere, even on the coast - not everything is at it's best on the day you are there. Don't get set on anything before you ask how it is. Your best friend in the sushi world is a waitress or chef who tells you you don't want something that particular day. Value this person forever.

Rule number two if you want the best there is is to find a place with staff you can trust and put yourself in their hands. Tell them to bring you whats good that day, and a good chef or waitress will lead you exactly where you want to be. You can set rules about saying what you like or don't like, but maybe something special is in that day that isn't on the menu. Being a know-it-all won't get you that item. Be willing to try what they offer, you might be in for a nice surprise.

Sushi restaurants and sommeliers are the two best times to put yourself in the hands of the experts. They almost always know far more than you, and if they don't, you're in the wrong place.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:25 AM

Went to Tomisushi tonight. It is sister one of Sushitomi in Mountain View.

They had omakase sushi on the menu so I ordered that. They also had omakase sashimi, but I didnt feel like having that tonight.

The omakase comes with 12 pcs of Nigri, a roll, a few pieces of crab leg, and a bowl of soup using the bones from the fish from what it looks like.

My wife got 6 pcs of sake, 2 pcs of hamachi, and 2 pieces of unagi. We also shared a spider roll.

The only pic I got is of the omakase plate since we had our 1.5 year old and he was a pain in the ass. He wouldnt sit still for one minute. I had to hold him with one hand the whole time we were eating.

ED: edited huge image to link. (Next post has resized image).
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1467/dscn0084uu8.jpg

I wasnt sure what I was going to get as long as there was no squid. I just dont like raw squid.

I didnt recognize quite a few of these. Here is my guess as what the pieces were.

Top roll from left to right:
Toro - OMG!!!! I almost got another separate of toro it was so good. Literally melted in my mouth!
Snapper - couldnt tell what kind, but it's kind of chewy and from my experience, I am guessing it's snapper.
Salmon - Love the fat stripes. However, it was tougher than I expected. Had better at other places.
Not sure what this one is since I've never seen it before. It's kinda chewy. The waitress couldnt tell me in English what it was.
Yellowtail - I've had better
Real crab meat from a leg - nothing special here
Halibut - sweet and also melted in my mouth, will definitely get this separately next time

Second row from left to right:
Some kind of clam - it was sweet crunchy. A little bit fishy
Abalone - same as the clam but not fishy
Some kinda of tuna - almost as good as the toro!
Uni - nothing special here. Like the other times I've had this, I like the initial flavor but dont like the after taste
Anago - I thought this was uncooked, but it actually was. Less fishy and I softer than unagi.

The roll was Tekka Maki, but I think the tuna itself was the same as the one in the second row. The tuna was chopped but it gushes out as soon as I bit down. It's really good!

The bowl at the bottom had pickled cucumber and seaweed topped with king crab leg bits. Nothing special here.

I didnt get a pic of the fish soup as that was brought after I put away the camera.

My wife like all her items. We both agreed that the spider roll was dissappointing. It may be b/c they were getting ready to close as we came late. Couldnt really taste the crab at all.

Overall, I thought it was an ok experience. I would probably only go back for the Toro ($12 tonight) and the tuna in the second row.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:16 AM

offTopic - ever tried "Sushi on the Run" (114 N Santa Cruz Ave, Los Gatos, CA)? It's a mom/pop-8-seat place w/ delicous cuts.

millionDollaz - if you see this thread, we are going to a sushi place when I'm out there next week. Hopefully I'll get something better than a ghey little PT convertible this time.

for those on laptops...
Old 02-05-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
offTopic - ever tried "Sushi on the Run" (114 N Santa Cruz Ave, Los Gatos, CA)? It's a mom/pop-8-seat place w/ delicous cuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never been...I think I may have heard of it, though...is that the really small place that has the menu written backwards on the wall facing the bar, and a mirror above the bar so the customers can read the menu?