Pacific Poker 47 6.58%
WPX 40 5.60%
William Hill 28 3.92%
True Poker 17 2.38%
I don't play Poker online 0 0%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Going All In Before The Flop....

Dear mscaces,

I was worried that poker might be getting less profitable. Having read that players like you can get staked by Men and play $5k events, i am no longer worried.

Thank you for reassuring me that i will not need to find a new job.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear mscaces,

I was worried that poker might be getting less profitable. Having read that players like you can get staked by Men and play $5k events, i am no longer worried.

Thank you for reassuring me that i will not need to find a new job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, i need to read this thread closer - i missed this entirely in my skimming.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I lied I am back, but just to share this story with you. I was playing in a $5000 WPT event several years ago at the Bellagio. 860 people entered the tournament we were down to the last 40. I was dealt KK, my stack was slightly below the average, I raised, and was reraised, I re-raised again, I now had slightly less than half my chips, he re raised and put me all in. He had AA...after the hand several very well know poker players came up to me and said you had to have known he had AA, you should have folded...I felt at the time I was in it for too much and I had to go.....I should have folded...all I am saying this is an area that needs to be thought about carefully in key situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

This story is almost certainly a lie or greatly exaggerated. I looked at Cardplayer and no $5k event at Bellagio from the last few years has anywhere near 860 entrants. They don't have any results from much before the poker boom, but I don't see how those tournaments could have had more entrants than recent tournaments.

Also, if OP is so good, why cant he/she just post a link to his/her results, since 40th place in an 860 person tournament would probably result in an ITM finish for that tourney.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:13 PM

this thread is stupid

im also tired of hearing people say poker isnt all about math. there isn't a single decision you make in poker that isn't fundamentally based in math.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im also tired of hearing people say poker isnt all about math. there isn't a single decision you make in poker that isn't fundamentally based in math.

[/ QUOTE ]The key phrase is "all". If poker requires more skills than simply math it is not ALL about math.

I doubt anyone thinks that simply being able to crunch numbers is enough to be a winning poker player, but that's what a lot of people imply when they talk about poker being "all about math".
Old 12-27-2006, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm praying that this is a real account.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 12-27-2006, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]The key phrase is "all". If poker requires more skills than simply math it is not ALL about math.

I doubt anyone thinks that simply being able to crunch numbers is enough to be a winning poker player, but that's what a lot of people imply when they talk about poker being "all about math".

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker is entirely math, its just most people think that people mean arithmetic instead of math, any skillsets used in poker(such as reading people) are just data gathering tools so you can use the math properly.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting people on ranges is not a form of math.

It is however the cornerstone of EVERY math calculation in poker because its a game of imperfect information.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is entirely math, its just most people think that people mean arithmetic instead of math, any skillsets used in poker(such as reading people) are just data gathering tools so you can use the math properly.

[/ QUOTE ]Fair enough, but this is true of almost anything in life as well. My point it is that what poeople MEAN when they say "poker isn't all math" is correct. It takes many skills to be a good player, and knowledge of staticstics and number is only part of it.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread is stupid

[/ QUOTE ]
how is looking into someone's soul "math"
Closed Thread