Default Re: Worst band ever?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Van Halen
The Eagles
Aerosmith

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh come on. Van Halen and Aerosmith were at one point one of the greatest rock bands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok OK, maybe I went too far with greatest. VH 1 was a great album. Aerosmith has some truly great moments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I celebrate their entire catalog.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-The Grateful Dead
-Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship
-Eric Clapton

I think a very strong case can be made for either The Grateful Dead or the Eagles, although I'd give it to the Eagles in terms of sheer loathesomeness.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is insane. Personal preference and taste is very different than 'the worst band ever'. The Dead were around for over 30 years, constantly selling out venues without ever playing the same show twice. Musically speaking they are regarded as proficient at worst, and even their worst critic can't take away their ability to jam and their mastery of their individual instruments. They challenged themselves and their fans musically each and every night they went out there, and managed to garner what could likely be considered the strongest fan base of any band ever. They did this without radio play or mainstream acceptance. They were also one of the first bands to actively encourage their fans to tape and trade their live shows - without any compensation to the band members. Revolutionary. Say what you want about their fans and subculture, but no logical person could say they are the worst band ever. Are you saying they are worse than 4 Non Blondes? O-Town? You should try listening to them with an open mind, instead of carrying over your hippy-hate from years ago.

I can't even begin to touch your comment on Clapton. Perhaps the most absurb thing I've ever read on 2+2.

And of course it's cool to hate The Eagles.

"Once in a while you get shown the light,
In the strangest of places if you look at it right"

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain how personal preference and taste are very different from 'worst band ever.' Is there some objective measurement I'm unaware of?

The Dead had one great album, American Beauty, I'll concede that. As a matter of fact, I don't really hate their music, although I find very little more boring than an hour long noodly guitar solo. I personally put them up there b/c of the complete loathsomeness of the subculture they spawned while obliviously touring for thirty years high on heroin.

Eric Clapton, IMO, is the most overrated of all the sixties rock icons. What has he done, post-Layla, that's worth a crap? Crank out background music for Budweiser commercials, and gooey ballads for forty-somethings to woo each other with. He's also the ne plus ultra of white-boy blues shredding (remember "Blueshammer" from Ghost World).

Anyway, of course I'm not saying these bands are worse than 4 Non Blondes. For that matter, these 14 year olds that live down the street from me have a band that's worse than 4 Non Blondes, but what fun would it be to pick them?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:07 PM

you concede the dead has one great album? clapton is on there because he's overrated?

the question is worst band ever. if we had a thread, who's the most overrated, or what band has the most annoying fans then post away. as it stand, you dont understand or are answering a different question.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please explain how personal preference and taste are very different from 'worst band ever.' Is there some objective measurement I'm unaware of?

[/ QUOTE ]

i mentioned earlier i think stevie ray vaughn was exceptionally talented musician. however i cant stand his music. it literally gives me a headache and i change the station when his music comes on. it doesnt mean he wasnt a great guitarist. just because i dont like something doesnt mean the art/music is inherently bad.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just because i dont like something doesnt mean the art/music is inherently bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are people picking O-Town or ICP or Creed on the basis of anything besides not liking their music? You realize a lot of people (millions, probably) think those bands are great, right? Do you see where I'm going with this?

[ QUOTE ]
the question is worst band ever. if we had a thread, who's the most overrated, or what band has the most annoying fans then post away. as it stand, you dont understand or are answering a different question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm answering it the way I want--here's the OP

[ QUOTE ]
So OOT what semi-popular or even popular bands do you consider the worst of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the question was, "name the worst band of all time, with the exception of very talented guitar players or extremely popular bands that have been around forever and sold millions of albums," then I would not be naming Clapton or the Dead.

Choosing ICP or the Spin Doctors for something like this is like beating up the retarded kid at recess.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The Dead had one great album, American Beauty, I'll concede that. As a matter of fact, I don't really hate their music, although I find very little more boring than an hour long noodly guitar solo. I personally put them up there b/c of the complete loathsomeness of the subculture they spawned while obliviously touring for thirty years high on heroin.

Eric Clapton, IMO, is the most overrated of all the sixties rock icons. What has he done, post-Layla, that's worth a crap? Crank out background music for Budweiser commercials, and gooey ballads for forty-somethings to woo each other with. He's also the ne plus ultra of white-boy blues shredding (remember "Blueshammer" from Ghost World).

Anyway, of course I'm not saying these bands are worse than 4 Non Blondes. For that matter, these 14 year olds that live down the street from me have a band that's worse than 4 Non Blondes, but what fun would it be to pick them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Bwana said, personal taste is not the same as classifying a band as the worst ever. I can't stand The Police (I find their music annoying), and they are probably my least favourite popular band out there. But I couldn't say they are the worst.

Your comments about the band and its subculture are just off. Why did you find their fans loathsome? We're talking about what could probably be considered the most passive and easy-going fans of any band on the planet. And saying they toured for 30 years on heroin is a gross overstatement of fact. Were some band members addicted to drugs? Yes. Not all of them, and not for a full 30 years. So does that make Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, and countless others 'the worst ever'?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-The Grateful Dead
-Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship
-Eric Clapton

I think a very strong case can be made for either The Grateful Dead or the Eagles, although I'd give it to the Eagles in terms of sheer loathesomeness.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is insane. Personal preference and taste is very different than 'the worst band ever'. The Dead were around for over 30 years, constantly selling out venues without ever playing the same show twice. Musically speaking they are regarded as proficient at worst, and even their worst critic can't take away their ability to jam and their mastery of their individual instruments. They challenged themselves and their fans musically each and every night they went out there, and managed to garner what could likely be considered the strongest fan base of any band ever. They did this without radio play or mainstream acceptance. They were also one of the first bands to actively encourage their fans to tape and trade their live shows - without any compensation to the band members. Revolutionary. Say what you want about their fans and subculture, but no logical person could say they are the worst band ever. Are you saying they are worse than 4 Non Blondes? O-Town? You should try listening to them with an open mind, instead of carrying over your hippy-hate from years ago.

I can't even begin to touch your comment on Clapton. Perhaps the most absurb thing I've ever read on 2+2.

And of course it's cool to hate The Eagles.

"Once in a while you get shown the light,
In the strangest of places if you look at it right"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This part is what confuses me. So,You're saying that Clapton etc. are the worst bands ever, but there are bands that are worse?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Van Halen
The Eagles
Aerosmith

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh come on. Van Halen and Aerosmith were at one point one of the greatest rock bands.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that's why all 3 are good choices for worst band ever.
Former good or great bands can easily become the worst band ever. Their past greatness becomes a joke when the bands a/o members put out horrible material coasting on their past success, or show themselves to be lame losers instead of the rockers they once were. One era's greatest band ever can easily look like a joke 20 years later.
I think the extreme rise and fall of a band makes them good candidates, along with their aging and lame fans who continue to cling to a band's former glory, unable to recognize time has shown a band to be truly the worst, despite debateable great albums in their past.
Picking Backstreet Boys as the worst ever doesn't make sense to me, because they sucked from day one and nothing has changed.
Aerosmith, the Eagles, and Van Halen have all become the worst bands ever by not quitting when they should have, and instead sticking around to embarass themselves.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the goddamn thread title, Christ. One of your 'worst bands ever' had a 'great album'? Durr....

Atreyu gets my vote in a New York minute, but probably not popular enough. Honorable mention for Blink 182....all the good ones are taken!
Old 12-15-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Read the goddamn thread title, Christ. One of your 'worst bands ever' had a 'great album'? Durr....

[/ QUOTE ]

So? Hitler built the autobahn.

But anyway, ok fine, I concede. 4 Non Blondes is a worse band than Aerosmith or the Dead. Um, what about NSync? Or Staind?!?!?111 Wow, what a fun thread--let's just name the cruddiest modern bands we can think of that no one cares about.

I would not want to be trapped with a lot of you on a long road trip.