Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 03:29 PM

Default Re: You misspelled \"Sklansky\"

[ QUOTE ]
The bill *has* passed. Welcome to this week, and more importantly, reality.

[/ QUOTE ] I think with all of the hard work you have been putting in on this subject the last twoweeks you may have missed your routine maintenance appointment for your sarcasm detector.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:39 PM

nh fishes
Old 10-04-2006, 04:04 PM

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, just enough to get the jist of it.

GROW UP PEOPLE!

I'm not aware that anyone is being charged for reading or participating in this message board. Sure, there are ads. Sure, they sell books. All 100% voluntary.

FWIW, passsing legislation like this has been tried multiple years in a row. It's not surprising that people were taken off guard that it actually happened at the very last minute this time.

Mason and David are not your employees. To my knowledge there's no mission statement except to educate people about poker by publishing information not available elsewhere. I don't think they ever promised to be your political gurus when it came to legislation.

If you want to point fingers at anyone, point them at yourselves. For many of you this is your livelihood. Did you organize? Did you educate others? Did you devote time outside of 2p2 taking action? Posting in other forums? Did you rally players at the WSOP? When you were in Vegas? Hand out flyers?

It's unreasonable for you to expect a publishing company that owns a bulletin board to babysit you on an issue vital to your income when they never promised to do so.

The only thing they owe you is quality in the goods and services they've provided that you willingly paid for, (books, etc.) They have to sort out what the legislation means to their organization. Legal crap takes time.

You're adults. It's your job to take care of your own interests. Don't sit around and complain that someone else didn't do it for you when they never promised they would.

The Poker Mom
Old 10-04-2006, 04:22 PM

Mason,

Your actions suggest to me 2+2 taking an active role in this matter is -EV to you guys personally - which is logical, and I can understand.

I am, however, interested in your EV calculations/approximations which would work out as something like this:

where EV of Cost of 2p2 team's time and legal fees > EV of probability of decrease in readership*(expected incremental loss in book sales)

Just wondering under what assumptions would the EV be positive (i.e. overcome legal costs and time commitments) in order to incentivize your team to take a more proactive approach to the (recent) expected changes in online gaming legislation.

I'm sure you understand this rational and logical approach to this problem at hand as I wouldn't expect a plea for your team's involvement on moral and altruistic grounds would be of much appeal or use.

Thanks,

[ QUOTE ]
Hi rabiddog:

I hope it's finished soon. Mark Tratos just returned from a trip to Europe and that was part of the hold up.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-04-2006, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The bill *has* passed. Welcome to this week, and more importantly, reality.

[/ QUOTE ] I think with all of the hard work you have been putting in on this subject the last twoweeks you may have missed your routine maintenance appointment for your sarcasm detector.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I just gown PWN3D there. Sorry guys. I was trying to do 3 things at once, and missed the pretty obvious sarcasm as a result. Thanks for understanding, and stay classy.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

GROW UP PEOPLE!

Mason and David are not your employees.

You're adults. It's your job to take care of your own interests. Don't sit around and complain that someone else didn't do it for you when they never promised they would.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, boy! Where do I start. No one mentioned anything about Mason and David being "our employees," let's start right there. Furthermore, many of us, myself included, did collectively organize through the PPA. A select few lucky enough to get to the WSOP aren't enough to "rally" at the WSOP; that's what the PPA is for and, so far, they have done next to nothing. I am hopeful they can and will do something.

I take exception your last comment, "Don't sit around and complain that someone else didn't do it for you when they never promised they would." I am not a subject matter expert (SME) in the gambling industry like Mason and David are. Because of their status coupled with the fact they are SMEs in the gambling industry we look to them for answers and what they are going to do to help, specifically, the online poker players. Remember, from those whom much is given, much is expected. Why do you think Brooke Shields gets the attention of the American public regarding post partum depression? Because she's Brooke Shields, not some midwest suburban house wife who nobody knows from a hole in the ground. Why is Charleton Heston the head of the NRA? I could cite more examples, but I think you get my point. Not only do we as 2+2ers need to rally on this issue, but we also need the heavy hitters in the industry to give us credibility. This is where the frustration in this forum is coming from.

Adam
Old 10-04-2006, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Mat, David, Mason...where are you?

Unlike 99% of the world, I am not going to oppose a bill simply because it might be bad for me. It's like the atheists on the SMP forum who think it would be terrible if God exists. Their arguments for his non existence become suspect (but not those of the neutral scientist). How many of you can say in all honesty that you would disapprove of the bill if you didn't play poker? (Not saying I do.)

On the other hand if legislation eventually comes down to showing that poker is a game of skill, I'll probably have more to do with getting laws to be what posters here want, than anyone else.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:00 PM

" Not only do we as 2+2ers need to rally on this issue, but we also need the heavy hitters in the industry to give us credibility. This is where the frustration in this forum is coming from."

Bingo.

It is remarkable to me that Mason is the only one who has ventured into this thread. It is precisely because of David's writings that I got into this game---and bought more 2+2 products. David, have you nothing to say about this horrible turn of events---directly as it affects online palyers and indirectly on it's impact on 2+2 revenues??
Old 10-04-2006, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unlike 99% of the world, I am not going to oppose a bill simply because it might be bad for me. It's like the atheists on the SMP forum who think it would be terrible if God exists. Their arguments for his non existence become suspect (but not those of the neutral scientist). How many of you can say in all honesty that you would disapprove of the bill if you didn't play poker? (Not saying I do.)

On the other hand if legislation eventually comes down to showing that poker is a game of skill, I'll probably have more to do with getting laws to be what posters here want, than anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bizarre statement.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:04 PM

I cant speak for everyone here, because poker isnt my life. But I would disapprove of the bill whether I played poker or not. To me its more about our government taking away yet another freedom. I see it more as the government trying more and more to make us a less free nation while telling us they are trying to save us from ourselves.