Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2006, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Ray Lewis vs. Mike Tyson (In a fight)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow. 3 pages of posts and no one has mentioned that Ray Lewis is a 2 time state champion prep wrestler at the 275 lb. weight class. You guys are really weighing all the info.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely critical info.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. This I did not know. Makes a huge difference. I dunno if I'm changing my mind, but this definitely matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but keeping someone down in a high school wrestling match is a hell of alot different than keeping someone down who is gonna spin to his back and start throwing right and left handed bombs at your head. Tyson is way past his prime, but he still has the power of a bulldozer. Even from his back on the ground, he is still gonna be throwing punches that can do alot of damage to Ray. Some of you guys are vastly overestimating the advantage Lewis will have on the ground, if he has any at all.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:42 PM

It's not so much the advantage he has, though with about 40 pounds over Tyson, that advantage should be there and real. It's what the ground takes away from Tyson more than what it adds to Lewis. Tyson in a stand-up game would shread Lewis like rice paper. Getting him to the ground doesn't make Lewish into Superman, but it makes Tyson so that he is NOT superman.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
prohorn,

This happens only if Ray Lewis is a complete moron and judging from what we know of him from football, he is a fairly intelligent person...maybe not a great person, but a person with the ability to reason and to think. Why on earth would he just lunge at him from 5 feet away and let himself take an uppercut? Man, that would be a quick fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, regardless of whether he runs from 15 feet away, or 5, I think he gets almost full impact.

I think, even if he charges from 15 feet, Tyson is still quick enough to get in an uppercut.

Tdarko, what do you think is Lewis' optimal strategy?

And by the way, when proposing a silly, hypothetical question, please don't sound so didactic!

What do you suppose is Lewis' strategy??

[/ QUOTE ]

Takedowns are attempted all the time in MMA fights, against people who expect it and are trained to defend it. On very rare occasions people are knocked out by a knee while attempting a takedown. I can't recall ever seeing anyone knocked out or even hurt by a punch during a takedown attempt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the uppercut is much chancier than people are giving it credit for.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the uppercut is at least potent enough to cause Lewis to become dazed, even if he follows through with the tackle. A momentary daze is enough for Tyson to take over.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:45 PM

Tyson, always.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:00 AM

Tyson would destroy Lewis even today. Ray Lewis has probably never been in a real fight, who would be crazy enough to challenge him?

I predict Lewis has no chin, weak offense and decent stamina. Tyson has him beat in all categories except maybe stamina, easy victory.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:04 AM

prohornblower,

You seem to be ignoring the point. I have seen hundreds of MMA matches and thus well over a thousand takedown attempts. I can't recall ever seeing anyone hurt by an uppercut during a takedown.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:30 AM

This is important. Boxers are often very stationary when fighting. A wrestler trying to do a takedown is very mobile.

It's also possible to launch a takedown AFTER a punch or feint is already launched, making an uppercut much less likely or even impossible.

But if it lands, landing it against a takedown is landing it against someone far more mobile, and at a much different and more quickly varying height, than boxers are used to landing uppercuts at. The classic advice about landing an uppercut is to aim for your own chin. That's pretty different from aiming at your own hip.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't recall ever seeing anyone hurt by an uppercut during a takedown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray Lewis isn't an MMA fighter. He won't be able to take a bare-fisted punch to the head as well.

Also, Mike Tyson hits harder than MMA fighters.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you Lewis people realize that Tyson was a street thug before becoming a pro boxer and heavyweight champion of the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

Judging by the company he keeps, Ray Lewis must've had a sheltered upbringing and been well-behaved young man before football.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you Lewis people realize that Tyson was a street thug before becoming a pro boxer and heavyweight champion of the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

Judging by the company he keeps, Ray Lewis must've had a sheltered upbringing and been well-behaved young man before football.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this was mostly in response to the Lewis-supporters who have been speaking as if Ray Lews is the streetfighting champion of the world and Mike Tyson has no streetfighting experience whatsoever.