FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: just a note on barry\'s 755th homer

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The whole situation disgusts me. 40 years ago, if a player who was a verifiable juicer was getting close to breaking Ruth's record, some aging pitcher getting ready for retirement wouldv'e been sent to the mound, with the express intention to stop juicebox, willing to lay his own career down early, knowing he'll be a hero in due time. This would be done to set an example to every other kid who would one day coming to the majors.

I believe Bonds, writhing on the ground, clutching his bad knee, which was just popped beyond repair from the sudden impact of a 100mph fastball, would be one of the great video clips in the history of professional athletics, but, wouldn't matter now. Guess I'll have to join the people who want to brand a * into his forehead.

~Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

And just how would this aging,near-retirement pitcher throw a baseball 100MPH? I am convinced that Roger Clemens (who is also a complete [censored] as Bonds is imo) took steroids just as I'm convinced Bonds did, but I won't make baseless accusations because unfortunately the guy has never failed a drug test.

If you do any research you'll find that steroids help pitchers more than they help hitters.

Also, a 100MPH fastball to the knee wouldn't come close to ending Bonds' career. Moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

The accusations aren't baseless. They are based on observations, statistical evidence, and Bonds' own testimony... And a 100 MPH fastball to his knee would almost certainly end his career as it would probably do enough damage to keep him from playing, and aas old as he is I doubt he would be able to recover to come back for another year.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seriously think there is some tough guy, old-timey age in which this would actually happen to Bonds for taking roids? This is more of the same typical BS, "the old days were so much better/tougher/cleaner/more manly" when its all a bunch of crap. There was cheating 40 years ago, there was cheating 70 years ago, there is cheating now. No one cared then, no badass pitchers were ending careers, and they aren't about to start now. You know why? They don't care. They cheat too. And its a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL where did you get any of that from anything I've posted, dude you need to calm down. You said a 100 MPH fastball woudn't hurt barry's knee and I said it would almost certainly end his career. As for the old times being rougher, it sure as hell was, do you know anything about baseball? I'm not saying Barry would have bene thrown at in the manner that that poster was tallking about, but he most certainly would have for other things, mainly hogging the plate, and perhaps being black. Read a little about Ty Cobb and then get back to me on wether or not it was a rougher era.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anything about whether a 100 mph fastball would end Bonds career, you must have me confused. I simply said no one would throw at Bonds for this in any era, and that all this crap about how baseball used to be so much tougher is almost all hyperbole. Wow, Ty Cobb was a prick, fantastic. The rest of the guys were professionals not little children who tried to end everyones career for any perceived slight. The only good point you raise is the racism one, but I think thats well established and not really relevant.

The original person who started this argument has since rescinded it, but his basic point was that baseball players today are pussies and losers because they aren't out there trying to end Bonds career, because he is a jerk and is on roids. I think that is a ridiculous comment, for two reasons. One, they would be huge dbags if they DID try to end his career for that, since most of them are probably on roids also. And two, that would never have happened 40 years ago EITHER, because there were lots of cheaters and douchebags and I can't think of any of them who ever had their career intentionally ended. Can you name me one? Cobb must have killed at least half a dozen guys right? Give me some names of guys whose careers were intentionally ended at the end of a fastball for being cheaters, pricks, whatever.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:09 PM

rabblerabblerabblerabble things were better in the good ol days.

more use of the word old-timey plzkthnksbye
Old 08-06-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rabblerabblerabblerabble things were better in the good ol days.

more use of the word old-timey plzkthnksbye

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem, I'll try to work it into every BBV post from now on. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The whole situation disgusts me. 40 years ago, if a player who was a verifiable juicer was getting close to breaking Ruth's record, some aging pitcher getting ready for retirement wouldv'e been sent to the mound, with the express intention to stop juicebox, willing to lay his own career down early, knowing he'll be a hero in due time. This would be done to set an example to every other kid who would one day coming to the majors.

I believe Bonds, writhing on the ground, clutching his bad knee, which was just popped beyond repair from the sudden impact of a 100mph fastball, would be one of the great video clips in the history of professional athletics, but, wouldn't matter now. Guess I'll have to join the people who want to brand a * into his forehead.

~Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

And just how would this aging,near-retirement pitcher throw a baseball 100MPH? I am convinced that Roger Clemens (who is also a complete [censored] as Bonds is imo) took steroids just as I'm convinced Bonds did, but I won't make baseless accusations because unfortunately the guy has never failed a drug test.

If you do any research you'll find that steroids help pitchers more than they help hitters.

Also, a 100MPH fastball to the knee wouldn't come close to ending Bonds' career. Moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

The accusations aren't baseless. They are based on observations, statistical evidence, and Bonds' own testimony... And a 100 MPH fastball to his knee would almost certainly end his career as it would probably do enough damage to keep him from playing, and aas old as he is I doubt he would be able to recover to come back for another year.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seriously think there is some tough guy, old-timey age in which this would actually happen to Bonds for taking roids? This is more of the same typical BS, "the old days were so much better/tougher/cleaner/more manly" when its all a bunch of crap. There was cheating 40 years ago, there was cheating 70 years ago, there is cheating now. No one cared then, no badass pitchers were ending careers, and they aren't about to start now. You know why? They don't care. They cheat too. And its a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL where did you get any of that from anything I've posted, dude you need to calm down. You said a 100 MPH fastball woudn't hurt barry's knee and I said it would almost certainly end his career. As for the old times being rougher, it sure as hell was, do you know anything about baseball? I'm not saying Barry would have bene thrown at in the manner that that poster was tallking about, but he most certainly would have for other things, mainly hogging the plate, and perhaps being black. Read a little about Ty Cobb and then get back to me on wether or not it was a rougher era.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anything about whether a 100 mph fastball would end Bonds career, you must have me confused. I simply said no one would throw at Bonds for this in any era, and that all this crap about how baseball used to be so much tougher is almost all hyperbole. Wow, Ty Cobb was a prick, fantastic. The rest of the guys were professionals not little children who tried to end everyones career for any perceived slight. The only good point you raise is the racism one, but I think thats well established and not really relevant.

The original person who started this argument has since rescinded it, but his basic point was that baseball players today are pussies and losers because they aren't out there trying to end Bonds career, because he is a jerk and is on roids. I think that is a ridiculous comment, for two reasons. One, they would be huge dbags if they DID try to end his career for that, since most of them are probably on roids also. And two, that would never have happened 40 years ago EITHER, because there were lots of cheaters and douchebags and I can't think of any of them who ever had their career intentionally ended. Can you name me one? Cobb must have killed at least half a dozen guys right? Give me some names of guys whose careers were intentionally ended at the end of a fastball for being cheaters, pricks, whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, once again, why should I name one? I have never made that claim. You are quoted in this very reply saying that a 100MPH fastball wouldn't "come close to ending Bonds' Career" then you call the guy you were responding to a moron. It appears you edited out the comment, nice try. That's pretty pathetic. For you to act like players today aren't any different than when the game started is moronic. Today's atheletes are completely pampered playing for astronomical sums. They have their own trainers, nutritionists, and physical therapists. Most of them have been recruited since highschool and sometimes even earlier. In the early days of baseball, guys were playing for 50 bucks a month. Playing baseball professionally back then wasn't glamorous or highpaying therefore most of the people playing the game were poor low class citizens and much more "rough and tumble" as a result. It was common for pitchers to throw at hitters who hogged the plate or gloated too much when they hit a homerun as was players sharpening their spikes to punish middle infielders turning double plays. Today if a pitcher has the audacity to throw a pitch on the inside half of the plate hitters bitch about being thrown at.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

~Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, once again, why should I name one? I have never made that claim. You are quoted in this very reply saying that a 100MPH fastball wouldn't "come close to ending Bonds' Career" then you call the guy you were responding to a moron. It appears you edited out the comment, nice try. That's pretty pathetic. For you to act like players today aren't any different than when the game started is moronic. Today's atheletes are completely pampered playing for astronomical sums. They have their own trainers, nutritionists, and physical therapists. Most of them have been recruited since highschool and sometimes even earlier. In the early days of baseball, guys were playing for 50 bucks a month. Playing baseball professionally back then wasn't glamorous or highpaying therefore most of the people playing the game were poor low class citizens and much more "rough and tumble" as a result. It was common for pitchers to throw at hitters who hogged the plate or gloated too much when they hit a homerun as was players sharpening their spikes to punish middle infielders turning double plays. Today if a pitcher has the audacity to throw a pitch on the inside half of the plate hitters bitch about being thrown at.

[/ QUOTE ]

OT, but that does grate on me. I was a catcher in HS, and we had several umps who would warn us AND THE DUGOUT about inside pitches. Any team who clears the bench because of an inside pitch that didn't make contact needs to be disbanded. As a matter of fact, I'm against clearing the benches anyway, unless it was an intentional message to an innocent victim.

As for the other night, I was incredibly drunk, but, my feelings come from the way I was taught the game. My father wasn't around much, so I was taught some by my grandfather and alot by my great-grandfather (Played for a few minor league clubs, mid-late 50's). That's where my feelings on Bonds come from, and, for the record, when I played, if I was on first and the batter hit a grounder to the SS, I went in cleats up 95% of the time. Its just the way I was raised LOL. Sorry for the hijack.