Call 12 29.27%
Fold 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 12:37 AM

Default Re: A-Rod opts out of contract

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I believe the Yankees have something like $90MM to play around with this offseason assuming they increase their payroll by 5%. That's before Posada and Rivera get inked, but they'll still have a boatload to spend.

My new gameplan for the Yankees is to trade Wang/Cabrera/other prospect for Santana, and ink him to a 6/150 extension. Then sign Hunter/Jones/Rowand to replace Cabrera.

[/ QUOTE ]

No gracias. Thay3r convinced me on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does he say now that A-Rod is gone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sign A-Rod.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyway, trading for santana would be pretty terrible. i have a feeling the yankees will talk themselves into this if they lose a-rod (not yet a foregone conclusion imo)

[/ QUOTE ]

1. how can you possibly think the FO would make the mistake of going after santana? absolutely nothing points to that.
2. Like I said, now that Arod has shown that he was unhappy in NY (v understandable and reasonable), given that they have consistently maintained that they were going to make an attempt at resigning him if he opted out and that they did so knowing that in the regular bargaining Boras was going to put them in a huge bind, there is absolutely zero chance he isn't a yankee.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Charlie, get some rest and revisit this thread in the morning, bro.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll still the same way.

Yanks offered him the highest salary per year in history for the next 7 years. Arod was so insulted by that offer he wouldnt even meet them to let them make it.

Yankees told Arod if you opt out and cost us an extra 21 million we won't resign u.

Arod said [censored] you...not only will i opt out and make u pay me that 21 million but i also want 35 million over the next 10 years eventhough i don't even want to play for your [censored] team.

to which the Yanks respond. k tnxs goodbye
Old 10-29-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Boras suckers another one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still waiting for one name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom Hicks. The guy who later agreed to give the Yanks $50m to get out of this deal.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Horrible decision. He may make a little more, but that deal will cripple who ever signs him. It will be Texas all over again

[/ QUOTE ]

Texas signed Chan Ho Park and Juan Gonzalez the year after they signed A-Rod.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't find the exact contract figure, but if I recall the contracts correctly they are both significantly worse than the A-R0d.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The best part about this is, the Red Sox are six outs away from winning the WS, and all they can talk about is A-Rod [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

May as well talk about them now, they won't be talking about any Yankees-in-the-World-Series for a few years.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:54 AM

I'm curious as to how much the firing of Torre had to do with his decision and the subsequent fallout that is going to create.

I don't blame him for wanting to go elsewhere considering how he has been treated. I think that he will end up playing elsewhere for an annual salary less than the Yankees could pay and that he will be happier and better off because of it.

The team that signs him will not be overpaying even if it is $300M+ considering that he will most likely break the home run record before the end of his contract.

Without him, the Yankees are going to struggle to be a wildcard entry into the playoffs for several years. I wonder how the 'A-douche' whiners are going to take that when the Yankees start missing the post-season on a regular basis.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:54 AM

people seem to be missing something

Arod didn't just opt out...he chose not to negotiate a new contract/extension with the Yankees and then opted out.

Boras could have spent the next 10 days counter offering proposals to the Yanks from their initial offer...instead Alex told Boras...no need. Opt out now.

That says plenty in itself
Old 10-29-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Arte Moreno,
I will give you $10 to sign Bonds and A-Rod and win the WS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would Scioscia have A-Rod bat in front of Bonds or Bonds in front of A-Rod? I don't know which one would be the better bunter.

craig
Old 10-29-2007, 12:56 AM

Exactly. A-Rod didn't want to play for Girardi, A-Rod probably sees (rightly or wrongly) a ship taking on some water, A-Rod knows he's going to end up with well over 800 homeruns no matter where he goes.