Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: most emotionally devasting moment in film

[ QUOTE ]
when jennifer connelly give the black guy a bj for crack in requiem for a dream was pretty brutal. he was like 'les let it breathe'. i almost collapsed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must be the only person who thought this film was just lame - I was literally laughing at the end. It was like the most over the top cautionary tale ever. Too much.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:48 PM

not sure if it's been mentioned as I haven't read the whole thread... but "Requiem for a Dream", the scene where the old lady goes into the tv station (or pretty much any scene from that movie) and nothing else is really even in the same league imo
Old 09-20-2007, 06:37 AM

There are a few scenes in the film 'In America' that make me cry, but one that really gets me is when they get home from the fair - after Johnny risks their life savings to win his daughter the ET doll - and they're all playing hide and seek, laughing having a good time, then Johnny has to stop because he realizes he's looking for his dead son.

Such an incrdebile high that shifts on you so unexpectedly. It gets me every time. Paddy Considine and Samantha Morton are amazing in this film.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:40 AM

And the final scene in 'Breaking the Waves' - bells in the sky...
Old 09-20-2007, 07:33 AM

The scene in Band of Brothers where Doc Roe is talking to the nurse always chokes me up.

Roe: You're a good nurse.
Renee: No. I never want to treat another wounded man again. I would rather work in a butcher shop.
Roe: But your touch calms people. That's a gift from god.
Renee: No. It's not a gift. God would never give such a terrible thing.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:35 PM

Passion of the Christ is pretty devestating imo. But then again its not totally devestating because of the whole ressurrection/died for our sins bit.

I don't see how the knife scene in Saving Private Ryan is even close tbh, its pretty grim and harrowing yes, but I didn't really have any huge affinity for the character so it wasn't really that emotional for me tbh.

For a slightly different choice - the scene outside the Opera house at the end of Godfather 3 (f the haters) is a scene I've always loved and been touched by. Al Pacino scream is absolutely chilling, its like the remnants of his soul are literally being ripped out of him during that scream. Amazing.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:00 PM

The final scene in Hair usually gets me.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:38 PM

I had to turn away when Tony killed Monolo. That's real.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are a few scenes in the film 'In America' that make me cry, but one that really gets me is when they get home from the fair - after Johnny risks their life savings to win his daughter the ET doll - and they're all playing hide and seek, laughing having a good time, then Johnny has to stop because he realizes he's looking for his dead son.

Such an incrdebile high that shifts on you so unexpectedly. It gets me every time. Paddy Considine and Samantha Morton are amazing in this film.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really one of my favorite movies ever. I would say its the best movie made in the last five years, but I've been spotty about seeing new movies, so suffice to say its the best I've seen since its release. The first time I saw it I was balling beginning to end. Five stars. A+. Two thumbs up. A perfect ten. Etcetera.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Come and See

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad someone put up a trailer for the most harrowing film of all time, "Come and See" (Russian, 1985). It's kind of like Schindler's List meets Apocalypse Now in Russia. The trailer is here (and wait for the final image which is just brutal):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMKwM...ed&search=

The scene with the girl and boy running and the girl looking back at the village is the most devastating thing I ever saw on film. This picture explains things better than I can:

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard of this film before...is it worth seeking out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saw this.

Wow. What a triumphant, technically brilliant, devastating motion picture. The whole film is like one long nightmare you can't wake up from, with no traditional narrative - just the chaos of war as seen through the eyes of a teenaged boy.

There were sequences in this film that were so good I was astonished at the level of film making. Most of the film is shot with a Steadicam and in long, incredibly choreographed takes that must have taken weeks to get right. But it all feels real, as if the camera is capturing events as they happen.

To me, this is the beauty of watching foreign films: to realize there are other ways to make movies, not just the Hollywood model.

Fantastic film and one I'll be thinking about for a long time.

Thanks for recommending this!