Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Headphones!!!

so I got my Etymotic ER6i yesterday. 2 things.

1. are you supposed to use the ear filters OR the ear tips? why are both included?

2. I compared them to my buddies Noise Canceling headphones. for Noise Canceling, the Bose did much better. (they are 4x as expensive, as well)
Old 06-12-2007, 01:14 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

duke,

sennheiser hd280 pro would do the job just right there. I believe they generally go for like $120.

Devil,

I am glad you like them, i really would like to give those a listen sometime.

Zod,

1. The filters go in the unit itself to keep earwax from getting on the drivers. The tips are to make unit fit in your ear better.
2. I am not surprised.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
duke,

sennheiser hd280 pro would do the job just right there. I believe they generally go for like $120.

[/ QUOTE ]
PITTM - I looked at some reviews for these headphones and they do seem like they'd work well for my purpose - I'll definitely go into a store and check them out. It also seems like they can be found for less than $120, which is a nice plus. Thanks! Much appreciated.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:49 AM

You should be able to get Sennheiser HD600s for $300, and they're very good. Grados are very popular but I'm not a big fan. One thing to keep in mind is that HD600 are open headphones. They will sound very loud to the person in the same room with you (not suitable for reasonable volumes in a work environment with cubes, for example). The AKGs mentioned are closed and quieter to the outside. Of course you will hear outside noises less too.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
/RS1's/etc

[/ QUOTE ]

Colored. But some like that sort of sound. "rich warm smooth" if you like them or "fat wooly bloated" if you don't.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:56 AM

I have the HD600 but I don't know that they are necessarily better than the HD580s. I can't recommend the 580s because I've never heard them but I suspect they sound the same if not very close, and in any case are probably a much better value.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. The filters go in the unit itself to keep earwax from getting on the drivers. The tips are to make unit fit in your ear better.

[/ QUOTE ]

tx. just to be clear - do the tips go over the filters? it doesn't look like both can be used at the same time.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:26 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

jeff,

if you are telling duke to get the hd600s i disagree with this advice for a few reasons.

1. he wanted some sound isolation, the 600s literally couldnt offer less sound isolation. I have had my roommate who lives across the hall ask me to turn down my headphones. that is not isolation.
2. the hd600s are possibly the worst deal in the headphone world. why? because the hd580s use the exact same drivers, can be bought used for like <100 bucks and with a simple modification(replace the 580 grilles with 600 grilles[$18 bucks from sennheiser parts] you have pretty much exactly the hd600s.

re: RS1's- THESE LACK SO MUCH BASS IT MAKES ME CRY. The HF-1 is the best headphone grado has ever made imo and all of their other stuff is kind of garbage. i know this opinion is a bit controversial. but i would say that imo grado is the most overrated headphone company in a tie with sony.

zod.

if you take off the tip, you will see a little screen on the top of the part the tip was on. this is the filter. They come with filters in them, but once the filters are clogged with earwax they need to be replaced. The tips go OVER the filters.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jeff,

if you are telling duke to get the hd600s i disagree with this advice for a few reasons.

1. he wanted some sound isolation, the 600s literally couldnt offer less sound isolation. I have had my roommate who lives across the hall ask me to turn down my headphones. that is not isolation.
2. the hd600s are possibly the worst deal in the headphone world. why? because the hd580s use the exact same drivers, can be bought used for like <100 bucks and with a simple modification(replace the 580 grilles with 600 grilles[$18 bucks from sennheiser parts] you have pretty much exactly the hd600s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well for one thing, I was replying to the original post. For another, I pretty much already made the 2 points you just made. So I'm really not sure where you're coming from.

[ QUOTE ]
re: RS1's- THESE LACK SO MUCH BASS IT MAKES ME CRY. The HF-1 is the best headphone grado has ever made imo and all of their other stuff is kind of garbage. i know this opinion is a bit controversial. but i would say that imo grado is the most overrated headphone company in a tie with sony.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you mean there either, since if anything the RS1 is very tubby in the bass - at least the pair I heard. But in any case I basically agree, Grado headphones are colored and overrated. But then, if you like the way something sounds to you, that is what is worth paying for.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:30 PM

jeff,

i thought you were responding the the guy above you about the hd600s and it would have made no sense if you were. my bad.