FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: The better flick is:
Firefox 3 42.86%
Coogan's Bluff 4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2007, 08:35 AM

Default Re: About This Forum

[ QUOTE ]
About the Locked Islam thread Iron the poll shows that people wanna discuss this issue. I think the thread walks a thin line but there was good discussion there. Gotta keep snowball out

[/ QUOTE ]
If listing the reasons why religions are evil doesn't inspire hatred, I don't know what does. For those who didn't read it, zasterguava posted a list of reasons why Islam is evil full of half truths. Snowball did the same WRT Judiasm and Christianity. I understand that people were enjoying that thread and debating honestly and that's why I didn't ban them.

[ QUOTE ]
a serious question to the mods - what if the name of country was changed to the name of two other countries? would that be allowed too?

[/ QUOTE ]
Avatars have special rules. They are not subject to forum specific rules because they are used site wide. However, any moderator can have an offensive avatar removed from any forum. The fact that no moderator had either Govman or TomCollins (that I'm aware of) remove their avatars tells me that the avatars are fine. Admittedly, the rules on avatars are pretty loose.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If listing the reasons why religions are evil doesn't inspire hatred, I don't know what does.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH and I agree.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If listing the reasons why religions are evil doesn't inspire hatred, I don't know what does.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH and I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

My memory is a little hazy, but didn't David S. start like 50 threads in SMP with a general theme along these lines?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NH and I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I didn't see any "hatred" in that thread, inspired by the OP or otherwise. What I saw was intelligent conversation/debate about the religion. Maybe it would have turned into hatred further down the line, but I think if threads are going to be judged on what they might turn into, we might as well just lock all threads. This is politics, people have strong opinions that go against other people's opinions, anything COULD result in hatred, but I don't think it should be stopped until it does. I didn't even participate in the discussion there, because I don't think I have enough knowledge to do so, but it made for interesting reading.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but I think if threads are going to be judged on what they might turn into, we might as well just lock all threads. This is politics, people have strong opinions that go against other people's opinions, anything COULD result in hatred, but I don't think it should be stopped until it does.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-06-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NH and I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't 90% of threads in SMP along these lines?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-06-2007, 12:50 PM

Location: There\'s no real \"evidence\" for it but it is scientific fact

Iron, can you elaborate on the line between posts which "inspire hatred" and legitimate criticism of religion?
Old 07-06-2007, 12:59 PM

You, sir, have a crappy job and I don't envy you. Hopefully the pay has increased since I had it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm talking about govman6767's avatar which says 'Nuke Iraq'.

I cannot think of anything more insulting, gross, offensive, backward, etc.

How do others feel?

[/ QUOTE ]

a serious question to the mods - what if the name of country was changed to the name of two other countries? would that be allowed too?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not stationed in either of those countries. Walk a mile in my shoes.

I bought the T-shirt for 16 bucks.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've PMen Iron and Ryan Beal about the following. Iron said it was conform the rules and Ryan didn't respond.

I'm talking about govman6767's avatar which says 'Nuke Iraq'.

I cannot think of anything more insulting, gross, offensive, backward, etc.

How do others feel?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it depends how you look at it. i hope he doesn't actually mean that, but if he does, it's his own suggestion. it doesn't involve any hate directly, so i think that's the reason why the avatar isn't banned yet. after all, nuking other countries is something that, unfortainly, has its place in history as "foreign politics".

of course i agree with you, its pretty ugly, but i understand the rules define it as a political statement and not hate.