Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: QB
Brees @PIT 3 50.00%
Brady vs. NYJ 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Colts Pumping Artificial Noise into The Dome

Apologies if this has been posted, I haven't read all the replies. But this contains a quote from a sound engineer. Apparently, it was not recorded crowd noise, but a system for amplifying the actual stadium noise that was turned up too lod, creating a feedback loop.

Interesting stuff, but the Pats should say nothing. After all, they won the game. Now, if I were a team official for, say, the Jags, I'd make a huge issue out of this since they have to play there every season.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the completely unbiased, verifiable source. You can tell it was written by a neutral observer because of the sign-off

"Final Score
Patriots 24
Colts 7
Referees 13"
Old 11-05-2007, 01:29 PM

Really?
Seems a little strange to me but I guess since they're inside a dome they don't have the same kind of weather considerations that other football press-boxes have.

Lots of times the radio and TV boxes are the only ones where the windows are OPEN. That's how I've always seen it anyway. But again, my experience is in CFB and not the NFL.
Very few announcers like doing games with closed windows in my experience.

I just got so used to watching college-football from the press-boxes where it's so freaking quiet it's kind of creepy. All these people jumping up and down and going crazy and you practically don't hear anything.

It's still entirely possible that if it was pumped in noise it would be heard more in some locations than in others. And if the Colts were super devious about it then they would have it be only on speakers directed to the field or something like that.
It's a bit of a stretch since I would expect the reporters to have been able to hear it if their press-box is open-air even if all the speakers were directed away from them.
Again, just thinking through some hypotheticals.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:33 PM

Has any mainstream news source published an article about this? It seems to me like if this happened inside the dome, we would have heard something about it now.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:40 PM

somebody posted the link for the 'feedback loop of their own crowd-noise theory' but I can't find that post right now.

This link gives the most likely explanation of what happened imo.
It's not a skipping CD.
They took their own noise from the upper-sections and cranked it up and ended up getting a silly-sounding feedback loop.

http://coloyan.com/society/s110407.html

This seems extremely plausible to me.

And as I stated previously, just because CBS had their mics cranked up enough to pick this up does NOT mean the radio broadcasters would also. They might have had their mics turned down as a lot of broadcasts do...or they might just use one or two mics from way up high where they would not have heard it as much.

The only other plausible explanation is if somehow they could get the same kind of feedback loop via their own crowd-mics which is probably possible somehow if you really tried.

For example, if they accidentally turned-up one of the on-field mics that wasn't supposed to be used or something and it happened to be next to a head-phone playing it's own FX noise or something then you could make this same feedback noise happen. But it seems pretty unlikely to me.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The NFL is looking into allegations that the Indianapolis Colts piped in noise during the game Sunday between the Colts and the Patriots. The charge comes after Patriots President Jonathan Kraft became the latest NFL team executive to accuse the Colts of the distracting tactic that is against the rules.

"We're aware of it and we're looking into it," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday. "It may just be the TV feed from CBS, but we're checking it out."

Observers at the game said there seemed to be a "skip" in the sound during the game Sunday, which the Patriots won 24-20. That might confirm the long-held suspicion among many people in the NFL that the Colts play loud crowd noise to help distract opponents when the other team is on offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

from article on Yahoo Sports

edited to bold.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:52 PM

There are literally hundreds of ways that noise could have happened but the fact remains that a day later no one who was in the stadium has said anything about it, which makes it pretty damn likely that the noise was heard only on TV.

Edit: In light of the previous post I'd like to hear a player coach or media member stand up and say they heard this. It be a hell of a lot more useful than "observers."
Old 11-05-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are literally hundreds of ways that noise could have happened but the fact remains that a day later no one who was in the stadium has said anything about it, which makes it pretty damn likely that the noise was heard only on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmmm read the post directly above yours.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmmm read the post directly above yours.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ummm, be a douche bag when I was obviously composing my post before yours was up.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: In light of the previous post I'd like to hear a player coach or media member stand up and say they heard this. It be a hell of a lot more useful than "observers."

[/ QUOTE ]

How about Bob Kraft? Is his word no good?