Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]
how'd the [censored] hat get the sword?!?!/

[/ QUOTE ]

A wizard did it. Seriously,a true Griffindor can pull it out of the hat when needed.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how'd the [censored] hat get the sword?!?!/

[/ QUOTE ]

A wizard did it. Seriously,a true Griffindor can pull it out of the hat when needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

even after a goblin swoops it? if so, harry should have known this and not cared about giving it to the goblin since he could just use a house elf to get the hat from hogwarts and then pull the sword out.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:55 PM

I think the idea is the sword only comes to you when you need it, but it was very deus ex machina, as was alot of the book
Old 07-24-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We understand it's a theme, that doesn't mean it makes sense.

The smartest wizard in the world would know to use house elf magic for their own benefit

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is Voldemort hated any creature that wasn't a pureblood. He wouldn't use a house elf for any reason no matter what the situation was because he prided himself on being above these creatures.

Also, patronuses had been used throughout several of the past books to carry messages. Specifically, Snape intercepting Tonks' patronus that was meant for Hagrid telling him to come pick up Harry at the gate in HBP. They were also used in other places to carry messages, but this was the best example I could think of. Thus, there is already groundwork for Snape to be able to send his Patronus into the woods and guide Harry to the sword. The patronus is more of a piece of yourself that can act out of your body than a shield charm against dementors.

[/ QUOTE ]

JKR actually addressed this question specifically a few years ago. The question stemmed from the end of OotP when Dumbledore told Harry members of the Order have better forms of communication than the "Fire in Umbridge's office."

Here's the story behind Patornus messengers:
[ QUOTE ]
Members of the Order use their Patronuses to communicate with each other. They are the only wizards who know how to use their spirit guardians in this way and they have been taught to do so by Dumbledore (he invented this method of communication). The Patronus is an immensely efficient messenger for several reasons: it is an anti-Dark Arts device, which makes it highly resilient to interference from Dark wizards; it is not hindered by physical barriers; each Patronus is unique and distinctive, so that there is never any doubt which Order member has sent it; nobody else can conjure another person's Patronus, so there is no danger of false messages being passed between Order members; nothing conspicuous needs to be carried by the Order member to create a Patronus.

And, as many of you have deduced, Dumbledore's Patronus is indeed a phoenix.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-24-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the idea is the sword only comes to you when you need it, but it was very deus ex machina, as was alot of the book

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, i thought she set it up great with neville being able to pull i out. Showed how much his character has progressed into a truly brave wizard, etc. Also i liked the backstory to the hat out of the sword with harry in CoS i think. I agree though that Voldy putting it on his head was pretty weak
Old 07-24-2007, 10:24 PM

Off topic, but the part Narcissa Malfoy will be played by Naomi Watts.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com/...-spoilers.html

Somewhat amusing parody which covers my main gripes with it, the crappy convenient plot devices etc. That said I did enjoy it a lot in parts, and the battle of Hogwarts in particular should look awesome on screen if done well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, this whole thing was pretty funny...

"Then Voldemort's voice echoes through the night.

Voldemort: Brave fighters of Hogwarts, I do not wish to spill blood that doesn't need to. Therefore I shall withdraw my Death Eaters for one hour. Potter, if you don't want more of your friends to die, I suggest you come out and face. I'll be in the Forbidden Forest.... No Lucius, I told you a Big Mac, hold the pickles. Does this look like they held the pickles? I don't care what the clerk says, they can damn well hold the bloody pickles! Pick them off? No, their juice will still be on the burger, mixed into the special sauce. Just go back and tell them to get the order right this time. What Yaxley? Still on? Oh. You have one hour, Potter! That is all."

[/ QUOTE ]

My fav so far:

----------
Many miles away, Griphook the goblin is sitting in his living room gently stroking the Sword of Gryffindor.

Griphook: Precioussssssss.

Sword: Gotta go.

The sword disappears.

-----------

Seamus: Harry, we thought you were dead!

Harry: I was. I got better.

--------

Loved the whole thing.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:57 PM

Anyone think it would have been really cool to have Harry die after the long walk?

Harry sacrificing himself to kill Voldemort was actually really enticing.

The rest of the book could be the remaning ppl at Hogwarts taking out the rest of the Death Eaters after Harry and Voldemort's deaths.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Off topic, but the part Narcissa Malfoy will be played by Naomi Watts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hot. The casting for the movies has been fantastic so far. Like the girl that was picked for Luna Lovegood in the OotP movie, she is absolutely perfect.

It's a shame Richard Harris died, the new Dumbledore is a lot more aggressive than I'd pictured Dumbledore.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:44 AM

I think it is awesome that this whole time, since the first movie, Alan Rickman has known how the story will end.