Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 12:37 AM

Default Re: People who buy bottled water are fish at life.

RG,

"Tuq grows on you. Give him time."

You know, I have been told that I'm a FUNGI.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
RG,

"Tuq grows on you. Give him time."

You know, I have been told that I'm a FUNGI.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm. I was thinking more like -- smegma.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression that all big American cities had water that was similarly good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time you are in vegas, try some tap water. horrible. I never drank bottle/filtered water until I moved here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, I don't even like to rinse my mouth with Vegas tap water when I brush my teeth there.

[/ QUOTE ]
You just read my mind. Smells/tastes awful.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that ish tastes way better than NYC tap water.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure this has been said somewhere in the thread, but I just started reading, so I'll point out that NYC water always places very high (if not #1) in tap water taste tests. Now it may be a matter of what you grew up drinking, that I could understand. We have the same tap water sources as NYC where I grew up and I LOVE this tap water. It tastes much much better than bottled water to me.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
evian tastes like chalky ass

[/ QUOTE ]

prop bet that you can't tell the difference between evian and a few different types of popular bottled waters?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure this has been said somewhere in the thread, but I just started reading, so I'll point out that NYC water always places very high (if not #1) in tap water taste tests. Now it may be a matter of what you grew up drinking, that I could understand. We have the same tap water sources as NYC where I grew up and I LOVE this tap water. It tastes much much better than bottled water to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pipes in your building make a difference.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
evian tastes like chalky ass

[/ QUOTE ]

prop bet that you can't tell the difference between evian and a few different types of popular bottled waters?

[/ QUOTE ]

You give me Evian vs. Aquafina and I'll get 10 out 10 right for any money.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The pipes in your building make a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know a damn thing about plumbing or whatever field would cover disagreeing with you, so I won't. I'll just say that I've never had tap water in the NYC area that didn't taste good to me. I've also never been in a building that I've known to have bad pipes. I suppose I may just be running good.

What percentage of buildings would you say have pipes that would impair the taste of water?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:40 PM

Btw, for those of you out there that are curious, Total Dissovled Solids (TDS) have a large impact on the taste and quality of the water. The lower that number, the better the water. The EPA has a secondary standard of this set at 500 ppm. Evian measures at about 600 ppm. Aquafina measures at 2. There are some cities with some very, very high quality water in terms of TDS. Some places are even supplying their customers with reverse osmosis water now for their whole house. However, I know NYC, Seattle and some areas in the SE like Georgia, etc have some very good water. You take a place like Las Vegas, though, they have some nasty water. Hardness has a large impace on the TDS and taste of the water as well. Las Vegas city water (Indianapolis as well) is at 25 gpg hard. This is ridiculous. You can take the gpg of hardness and multiply it times 17 to get ppm in terms of TDS. So, they're at least 17 * 25 for TDS. I'm sure there are other things dissolved in the water besides calcium, limestone and so forth. TDS can be a ton of things tho ranging from just stuff like sodium, calcium, magnesium all the way to the other end of the spectrum like arsenic, mecury, lead etc. You could actually have 0 TDS water and be lethal and have 600 and be safe but taste like crap. A water like aquafina has many steps of treatment like ozonation, filtration, RO, and so forth. There are a few other waters that are excellent as well. Sam's club has a very good water. Costco's has Kirkland water, which is very good as well. There are actually a couple company's that add some minerals to their water for taste purposes. People are just used to water with stuff in it, so they like it better. A lot of it can be just what you're used to. The idea, however, of adding minerals to your water to get them for supplemental purposes is no good though. You'd just as well off as going outside and sucking on a rock for minerals. It's in an inorganic state.

I make tea and coffee with RO water vs. tap water everyday. This differences can be unreal. On most city waters (normally at about 250 ppm TDS), it looks like this.

The high quality water is on the right.

However, you take a Las Vegas city water and make a tea or coffee with their city water vs. a water like aquafina, you won't believe the difference. BTW, to the poster that talked about their coffee with carbon filtration vs. tap, that's true. However, it would be even more dramatic through reverse osmosis treatment. Take the water raw and through carbon, and you'll see that the TDS is not impacted. The carbon will remove the chlorine and make it taste better, but still leaves the TDS behind.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What percentage of buildings would you say have pipes that would impair the taste of water?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some old places I go to still have galvanized plumbing, and this stuff gets crazy nasty. I just recommend replumbing and get it over with. Some well water I get on has algae and iron bacteria something fierce and it literally is just sludge laying in the pipes. Some city (although rare) will have that as well. However, mostly plumbing like copper will eventually get hardness build up in it and get nasty as well. I recently replumbed a house I just bought. The city water here is only 4 gpg hard, which is about as low as city water will usually get. I was amazed at the build up in the pipe. I brought it upstairs and asked my wife if I poured her orange juice through that pipe if she'd drink it. Obviously, she said she wouldn't. I saved a piece of the pipe.