Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever not reported your online poker winnings on a 1040?
Yes 38 69.09%
No 17 30.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2007, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Who is a better hitter? (Poll)

LOL @ this thread part deux
Old 09-25-2007, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah well poll results show people tend to agree with motorholdem, so whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider most people to be idiots, so the poll results are not surprising (as I confirmed in this thread).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I know this thread was only created so you could be like, "haha, look at all these baseball nubs using simple stats like batting average and # of hits to determine who is the better hitter. Such idiots."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just because that was his ulterior motive does not make the true conclusion false.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:14 AM

sorry strikeouts are worse than other outs in most cases
you cant say they matter for pitchers but not for hitters
1)If someone with an extra 150 strikeouts put the ball in play those 150 times even if they were weak swing he would end up with 10-15 hits
2) to say not striking out is offset by gidp is idiotic
how many times does ichiro gidp? how about with a man on 3rd and 2nd and 3rd with less than 2 outs? How is GIDP offsetting not striking out there?
Old 09-25-2007, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider most people to be idiots, so the poll results are not surprising (as I confirmed in this thread).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I know this thread was only created so you could be like, "haha, look at all these baseball nubs using simple stats like batting average and # of hits to determine who is the better hitter. Such idiots."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just because that was his ulterior motive does not make the true conclusion false.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no true conclusion to such a vague question.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry strikeouts are worse than other outs in most cases
1)If someone with an extra 150 strikeouts put the ball in play those 150 times even if they were weak swing he would end up with 10-15 hits
2) to say not striking out is offset by gidp is idiotic
how many times does ichiro gidp? how about with a man on 3rd or 2nd and 3rd with less than 2 outs? How is GIDP offsetting not striking out there?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-25-2007, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you can.

And you're wrong. Read the whole thread for evidence why strikeouts aren't really any worse than other outs. The evidence exists.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you can.

And you're wrong. Read the whole thread for evidence why strikeouts aren't really any worse than other outs. The evidence exists.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not here to argue, but I'm curious if you could address a couple of things:

1) Is Adam Dunn more likely to hit into a double-play? If so, how is this measured in terms of productivity?

2) Let's say Ichiro singles and the next guy hits a HR. In retrospect it could be argued that it didn't matter whether Ichiro singled or homered because the end result was 2 runs. Also, because he singled and is a baserunning threat, some could argue that the next hitter might see better pitches to hit so his HR became more likely because of an Ichiro single. Is this quantifiable or just hypothetical garbage?

Basically, don't singles go up in value with better hitters behind you (in comparison to other singles), while homers go up in value with worse hitters behind you?

3) Also, is an Ichiro single more valuable than an Adam Dunn walk/single? If so, how is this quantified?
Old 09-25-2007, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OMG this thread put me on tilt really hard.

Why oh why oh why didn't anyone just say "you know its harder to hit a HR than a single, and that people who can do harder things are better than people who can't, right?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Your logic falls a bit short....It's harder to hit a triple than a HR...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, put extra value on triples then. It wont make any difference.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OMG this thread put me on tilt really hard.

Why oh why oh why didn't anyone just say "you know its harder to hit a HR than a single, and that people who can do harder things are better than people who can't, right?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Your logic falls a bit short....It's harder to hit a triple than a HR...

[/ QUOTE ]
This year, Dunn has 2 3Bs and 40 HRs in 522 ABs. Ichiro has 7 triples and 6 HRs in 648 ABs. I'll leave you to calculate the weighted averages there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nuege, was does weighted averages have to do with " people who can do harder things are better than people who can't" statement?

I agree Dunn is a better hitter, but Ichiro is better at hitting triples, and triple are harder to hit than homeruns. Therefore "people who can do harder things are better than people who can't," is an incorrect statement on your part, and not a good way to "simplify" the debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even care to argue about the triples point, its fine, you can weight triples higher. But my statement doesn't mean you get to totally dismiss all other types of hitting. HRs are harder than singles, but a guy with 10 singles and 1 HR is not better than a guy with 200 singles and 0 HR, just because he did the harder thing one time. The point of my statement was that doing harder things is harder and should therefore be worth more.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow this thread is retarded.

I don't see why everyone was jumping on moterholdem when the question was worded in a way that you could pick either guy and not be "wrong".

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is why everyone thinks you're an idiot, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats, you know more about baseball then the average person/fan. Maybe next time word the question in a way that doesn't allow for both sides to be right depending on how it's interpreted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Motorholdem isn't a retard for thinking Ichiro is better. He is a retard for pretty much every single OTHER thing he said.

Also, wording a question so that both sides can be right? Thats like the whole point of discussion and pretty much where the fun is at. Asking a poll of "Which guy has the highest BA?" is pretty [censored] lame and boring.