Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Torre is back

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You don't think the AL East is the toughest division? Where does COL finish if they played in the AL East? Where do any of the AL East teams finish if they play in the NL West?

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
2nd or 3rd place, most likely. They're far better than Tampa Bay or Baltimore, and they're better than Toronto. They might finish ahead of the Yankees.

Red Sox probably finish 1st or 2nd in the NL West, Yankees, anywhere from 1st to 3rd, depending on their young arms.

[/ QUOTE ]

lolololololololol

Amazing! A+, level of the year. I thought you were being serious this whole time, but that cannot be possible...

[/ QUOTE ]

What, you honestly think the Blue Jays, Orioles, and Devil Rays are all better than the Rockies? Talk about a level...

The real level is that a team swept by the Rockies thinks they're no possible way whatsoever that they can't be perhaps not quite as good as the Rockies.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the FGators of SE.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:58 PM

the reality is the without every break in the world the rockies would be a 3rd place team in the nl west
They were in 4th with 2-3 weeks left in the season
Ill give them credit for taking advantage of their breaks, but they got a ton of them and were also lucky other teams ahead of them collapsed. Do you really think they are better than the mets or padres?

Theyre better than the orioles or drays. But put them in the Al playing better comeptition and there is no way they compete with boston or the yankees. Theyre arent much better than toronto (who last yr won 4 more games than the world series winners playing in a superior league and had a ton of injuries this year)
You said yourself you expected 83-85 wins for the rockies this year.Moving to a better league would somehow make that total go up?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You don't think the AL East is the toughest division? Where does COL finish if they played in the AL East? Where do any of the AL East teams finish if they play in the NL West?

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
2nd or 3rd place, most likely. They're far better than Tampa Bay or Baltimore, and they're better than Toronto. They might finish ahead of the Yankees.

Red Sox probably finish 1st or 2nd in the NL West, Yankees, anywhere from 1st to 3rd, depending on their young arms.

[/ QUOTE ]

lolololololololol

Amazing! A+, level of the year. I thought you were being serious this whole time, but that cannot be possible...

[/ QUOTE ]

What, you honestly think the Blue Jays, Orioles, and Devil Rays are all better than the Rockies? Talk about a level...

The real level is that a team swept by the Rockies thinks they're no possible way whatsoever that they can't be perhaps not quite as good as the Rockies.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You are the FGators of SE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coming from you, I take that as.......nothing meaningful at all.

So, for the record, you are, in fact, saying you think the Devil Rays and Orioles are a better team than the Rockies? Okay, thanks for clarifying.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
god, mondo makes me want to root for cleveland. [censored] the story. just sweep them and show once and for all that the rockies are not competitive in al east or al central.

[/ QUOTE ]

This epiphany happened to me in the NLCS thread. Mondo put me over the edge in there and made me an Indians/Sox fan all because I was making a suggestion for what would be the best way for the NL champion to win the WS.(which was for the ALCS to go 5 games so that the AL champion had to use its #1 starter in the game).

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you always admit in poker forums that you're so easily tiltable? Are your fan loyalties really that elastic? Just wondering.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a fan of the Mets, Nets, Devils, Rutgers, and Jaguars. I don't see Indians, Rockies, or Red Sox on there, so if I choose to root for a team because I have a reason to now I don't really think its that elastic.

As for the tilt, sports put me on tilt all the time, what sports fan hasn't gone on tilt?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:08 PM

So far you have come up w/ quite a few gems.
1. The Yankees fired Joe Torre. Wrong
2. Bobby Abreu is signed next year. Wrong
3. Other than Cano, no one has come up in the farm system to help NY in the last 3 years. wrong
4. Except for Joba, the Yankees don't have any young starting pitching next year. wrong
5. Colorado would finish ahead of NY and Toronto if they played in the AL East. wrong
6. NY would be in 3rd place if they played in the NL West. wrong

You obviously know nothing about the American League or how the NYY are run. But you keep talking about it as if you do.

Man, I can't WAIT until Sublime, Technologic and Thayer get a load of your crap!
Old 10-18-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the reality is the without every break in the world the rockies would be a 3rd place team in the nl west
They were in 4th with 2-3 weeks left in the season
Ill give them credit for taking advantage of their breaks, but they got a ton of them and were also lucky other teams ahead of them collapsed. Do you really think they are better than the mets or padres?

Theyre better than the orioles or drays. But put them in the Al playing better comeptition and there is no way they compete with boston or the yankees. Theyre arent much better than toronto (who last yr won 4 more games than the world series winners playing in a superior league and had a ton of injuries this year)
You said yourself you expected 83-85 wins for the rockies this year.Moving to a better league would somehow make that total go up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course the Rockies got some breaks. I never said they didn't. I wasn't even talking about the Rockies in a Torre thread, but since you brought it up...

The Rockies also had the best relief ERA in the league after the All Star break.

The Rockies had the all time highest single season fielding percentage, and more chances than most teams.

They were a far better team than Arizona, who was outscored over the course of the season.

They had a winning record against every other team in their own division. If anything, they underperformed against the NL doormats (Washington/Pittsburgh), but outplayed the Giants, Dodgers, Pads, AND Diamondbacks head to head. So how are they the 3rd best team in their own division?

They had the 2nd best record in all of MLB from May 21st on.

I'm not suggesting they'd win the AL East. Of course, they did play the AL East in interleague, and finished over .500. They did sweep the Yankees. They did take two of three from Boston. In Boston. They had the best interleague record in the NL last year. So for you to say they cannot compete with Boston or the Yankees is patently ridiculous. Are they better? I don't think they're better than Boston. I think they might possibly be better than the Yankees, but I wouldn't argue that they are, but if they're not as good, then only marginally so.

No, the real level here is everyone dismissing the Rockies as nothing but "taking advantage of lucky breaks", when the truth is, none of you ever even saw a Rockies game prior to the playoffs, since ESPN and FOX don't even know teams other than Yankees/Mets/Red Sox/Cubs exist.

While we're talking about Yankees farm team products, in just the last four years the Rockies have produced Holliday, Atkins, Tulowitzki, Hawpe, Corpas, Francis, and Jimenez, amongst others. Some are all stars already, others will be.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:09 PM

When did I say the Devil Rays are better than the Rockies? IMO the Rockies would finish 4th in the AL East in a 162 game sample size, who knows where they would finish in a 25 game sample size, or more appropriately in a 3 game sample size. I mean they swept the Yankees, they are obviously better then them right?

The AL East is a better division than the NL West.

Does the fact no one has agreed with you maybe give you an idea you are completely wrong?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not suggesting they'd win the AL East. Of course, they did play the AL East in interleague, and finished over .500. They did sweep the Yankees. They did take two of three from Boston. In Boston. They had the best interleague record in the NL last year. So for you to say they cannot compete with Boston or the Yankees is patently ridiculous. Are they better? I don't think they're better than Boston. I think they might possibly be better than the Yankees, but I wouldn't argue that they are, but if they're not as good, then only marginally so.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a poker player right? You should know better than to be results oriented over a small sample size.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Torre is back... edit... NOT

I've done a lot of thinking about this in the last 2 hours and have come to this conclusion:

The Yankees SHOULD have resigned him at 7.5 mil with a team option for 7.5 mil that is gt'd if he wins the AL. This keeps the players happy, encourages Posada, Rivera and A-Rod to resign and doesn't put a mark on the organization.

What they did is just classic Steinbrenner. It was a complete slap in the face of Torre. Asking him to accept a pay cut is asking him to admit "I'm not as good as I used to be." It's a joke. A lot of us are too young to remember the old days of the menacing Steinbrenner, but I know from studying Yankee history that he used to do this [censored] to managers all the time. How many times did he fire and hire Billy Martin for Pete's sake?

this is the old George coming out for one last time

Instead they have put a mark on the organization and pissed the players off. Who is closer to Torre than Posada and Rivera? Stupid [censored] move.

If they were going to insult him and low-ball him then they should have told him right away they didn't want him back then this stupid 10-day process. That would have been ok in everyone's eyes.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Torre is back... edit... NOT

Is Billy Martin still alive? He could hire and fire him one last time before he doesn't know what he's doing any more.