Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2007, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Anyone play Eve-Online? [MMO]

I just dl'ed and played for 2ish hours. I might have quit earlier but I wasn't sure what was a good stopping point as I've never done this MMO thing before (this one seems to avoid almost every reason why I think MMO's are retarded so I thought I'd give it a shot). Then I decided to quit, looked around, realized I didn't know how and had to ask in the newbie channel. lol UIaments.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:06 AM

Yeah, it's completely counter-intuitive to try the 'Escape' button to get to some sort of main menu... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2007, 04:37 PM

Given that I can't remember the last time ESC = Menu in a PC game I played, and that the "quit game" option is in the settings menu, yes it is. ;P I'm not b*tching by the way, I thought it was hilarious.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that I can't remember the last time ESC = Menu in a PC game I played, and that the "quit game" option is in the settings menu, yes it is. ;P I'm not b*tching by the way, I thought it was hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

qq more nub.

i assume they told you about alt-q as well.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"OMG GRIEFER [censored] I QUIT THIS GAME"

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously. Some guy podded me off my implants, and didn't even give me a chance to pay a ransom. I can't find a remotely challenging npc mob above sec 0.4, and I'm bored. I thought war core stabilizers might be my saving grace, but they are apparently ludicrously gimped (use a slot, ok, and smaller # than scrambler, huh?!, and -50% range, what the holy hell is that?!), so there's nothing my two week old destroyer-riding ass can do except stay in empire space and mine ore, or bend over.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:34 AM

I did a ton of ratting in .2 in a frigate, just run like hell if anyone warps in.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
qq more nub.

i assume they told you about alt-q as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually they told me about neither of those things. Maybe they didn't want to confuse my scrubby self, lol.

I'm still tooling around with missions; I got stuck on one for awhile until I repeated the tutorial (I forgot about the right-click warp to mission area thing), but now I'm going through a "I'm going to buy a bunch of random crap because it looks cool" phase. I have no idea how long it's going to be before I get tired of missions and mining, though I figure I'll get the hang of this UI before I go trying the PvP stuff.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:43 AM

ddubois:

It sounds like you're just floating around in space looking for random mobs. In high-sec space this is defintiely not a good way to find a challenge in the game. There are several ways to proceed:

1) Start doing missions. There are four levels of agents giving out increasingly difficult quests/missions in game. With a destroyer you should be able to do lv1 1 missions fairly easily, but lvl 2s should provide some challenge. These are basically instances created by the game for you, where a bunch of NPC mobs spawn that you and only you (pretty much) have access to. I've been playing for a couple of months now and the lvl 4 missions are still very challenging for me at this point. Keep in mind that you won't qualify for lvl 2s until you've done some lvl 1 missions and raised your standing with various agents. Travel around to a few stations and look under the "agent" tab while inside. There should be a list of agents available and unavailable, with only the lowest quality lvl 1 agents available to someone new to mission running. Don't worry though, after about half a dozen lvl 1 missions a few lvl 2 opens up.

2) Look for deadspace complexes. These are basic mob clusters that appear in many systems. They have a unique icon in the overview and when you show info on them it will display what difficulty it is, one a scale from 0-10. You can also filter your star map to search for good complexes (I imagine a 2/10 one would be a decent challenge right now).

3) Finally, you can join a corp. Most corporations have entry requirements, such as X amount of skill points acquired etc, but there are some that are more newbie friendly. Go to the official EVE website and do some searching in the recruitment forum, or open the recruitment channel in-game.

Swede
Old 01-26-2007, 10:16 AM

I'm running through missions now. Will do that for awhile (as well as mine when I can't really pay full attention, but just monitor it in the same room). When I get my skills up to a decent level and get sick of missions I'll probably look for a corp to join.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that you won't qualify for lvl 2s until you've done some lvl 1 missions and raised your standing with various agents.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the sticking point, farming standing. I've done dozens of mind-numbingly easy level 1 missions, but I stll can't find a level 2 agent I qualify for. My threshold of tolerance was passed.

Yes, I've clicked around in show info for other agents in the same corp. That said, I don't quite understand the standing system, with all the various factions seen on the standings tab. And it's possible I should have been targeting some different agent, one with whom I had higher initial standing with.

I'll give complexes a go.