Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: RB2?
Henry vs Houston 8 88.89%
Washington vs CLE 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Did He Touch Home?

While we are discussing other stuff in this thread.
What do you think of having 5 playoff teams in each league and have the two wild card teams play a one day playoff.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think I've ever made a "theirs/ours" post. I use "we" a lot refering to my teams.

I do not understand how you can equate an error made my a player with an error by an umpire. Nor do I understand, or have you even attempted to explain, how that makes a game better to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Re "theirs/ours", I confused you with someone else's post of yesterday, and I apologize. I caught a rash of carp from someone yesterday for referring to the Rockies as "we".

Anyway, I didn't say umpire errors make a game "better". What I said, was that the human element involved in the game contributes to the game being fascinating. I never said "better".

That said, a baseball season is much more of a journey than those of other sports, given the length, the number of games, given the pace of the season, etc. It seems more representative of humanity itself (or at least, of the human condition). Why is there so much more poetry on the subject of baseball, than of football, March Madness, etc.? Human fallacies are part of that -- that's all I'm saying.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you have 1st and 3rd, you have to be worried about not rushing the throw home, making sure the tag is applied, etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But, depending on the pitcher/batter of course, I still feel more comfortable with the safety net of that open base. I don't have the numbers handy, and I'm not positive, but I think win expectancy % would bear me out. Though it's probably close enough that all the variables could swing it either way.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When you have 1st and 3rd, you have to be worried about not rushing the throw home, making sure the tag is applied, etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But, depending on the pitcher/batter of course, I still feel more comfortable with the safety net of that open base. I don't have the numbers handy, and I'm not positive, but I think win expectancy % would bear me out on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way, he should have walked Carroll, to fill the bases and because Carroll never strikes out. It was a terrible move. I woulda pulled hoffman too.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of having 5 playoff teams in each league and have the two wild card teams play a one day playoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for drama, bad because one of those teams will be like 4 games over .500 or something and I like that baseball isn't the NBA.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for drama, bad because one of those teams will be like 4 games over .500 or something and I like that baseball isn't the NBA.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 10-02-2007, 05:26 PM

Those people are tards. It's a complete bs argument.

The main reason it isn't added for baseball is because baseball is a horribly slow game and it would just make it more slow.

People have visions of reviewing every damn pitch.

Solution: Review base touching and line calls only, no pitches. Would add all of 5-10 minutes to an average game.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Too many bad things can happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could walk home the winning run. What else?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not just the possibility of the walk. It's the batter knowing you can't walk him, which gives him a significant advantage, especially if he gets ahead in the count.

And as mentioned, HBP is a concern. There are also things like catcher's interference, dropping the 3rd strike, and probably other oddball situations which are rare, but you never know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Catchers interference- hitter gets 1st, runners only advance if stealing or forced.

Dropped 3rd strike- runner on 1st negates this rule (I think)

So a HBP or walk is the only thing negative to worry about extra here. Which has to be outweighed by the ability to have a force out at home, etc.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Questec uses steroids IMO. It probably got them from Barry Bonds. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

But Questec has never failed a drug test..... [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Which is another thing it has in common with Bonds amirite!? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever seen a questec machine? I bet its black.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not understand how you can equate an error made my a player with an error by an umpire. Nor do I understand, or have you even attempted to explain, how that makes a game better to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, a lot of it comes down to the spontaneity argument, which another posted deemed "moronic" in this thread, but I find important.

I want to experience my emotions when something happens on the field, not five minutes later when some 60-year old guy tells me that yes, it's now okay to feel that excitement/disbelief/etc., or alternately that I have to reverse my original reaction based on something he may or may not have seen in a video booth. I find the suspense generated by waiting to hear a referee's announcement after a replay review to be completely absurd.