Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Vick Pleads Guilty

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did you see the NAACP come out supporting Vick on the news today. He hasn't even done a day of time and they are already helping him. When he's done his time there will be big time pressure from Black groups to demand that Vick be allowed to go back to work in his profession.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's such a good role model, can you blame them? And he's been so contrite in his apologies. Oh, wait a minute ...

You have to wonder if the judgment of the head of the Atlanta chapter of the NAACP is any better than that of Vick. There is something to be said for picking your battles--or at least waiting for a scintilla of evidence to support your position.

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPN article on NAACP speaking on behalf of Vick

I also think the NAACP is misguided in this, as this is not a race issue, and I am sure there are many people who are victims of truley discriminitory actions without Vick's means that they could be helping instead of wasting time on this.

For the record, I personally think Vick should not be banned by the league after serving his time (a reasonable suspension would be fine). There have been many players who have been convicted of assault, domestic abuse, weapons charges, etc. that have been allowed to play again once serving their time. Whether he plays again should depend on if any team wants to put up with the PR problems they would have if they sign him.

[/ QUOTE ]

The NAACP needs to stop butting its [censored] head into every single issue involving a black person. Not everything is about race. What a [censored] joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the NAACP hurts blacks more than helps them at this point. They just make blacks look like immoral racists.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:39 PM

They just said on ESPN that there are 50+ dogs waiting to be claimed from Vick's property, and if the owners don't show up to claim them (Ummm, of COURSE they aren't going to walk into that trap), the animals will be humanely destroyed.

Why does this seem weird to me?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They just said on ESPN that there are 50+ dogs waiting to be claimed from Vick's property, and if the owners don't show up to claim them (Ummm, of COURSE they aren't going to walk into that trap), the animals will be humanely destroyed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was watching the HBO Sports thing about this whole dog fighting thing, and they talked to all the Humane Society/pound people, and they kill all of the dogs they find at these places. It struck me as a little...bizarre? I understand these dogs might be better off being humanely killed than fighting to the death, but it reminded me of all the dogs that are put down every year. It just goes to show you, the part we care about with regards to the dog fighting is the sociopathic tendencies that enjoying dog fighting exhibits, not the actual harm that comes to the animals. If we really cared about the harm that comes to the animals, there would be huge public outrage about anyone who doesn't fix their dog, rather than just a "Hrmmph, you should probably get him fixed" and a wag of the finger.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was watching the HBO Sports thing about this whole dog fighting thing, and they talked to all the Humane Society/pound people, and they kill all of the dogs they find at these places. It struck me as a little...bizarre? I understand these dogs might be better off being humanely killed than fighting to the death, but it reminded me of all the dogs that are put down every year. It just goes to show you, the part we care about with regards to the dog fighting is the sociopathic tendencies that enjoying dog fighting exhibits, not the actual harm that comes to the animals. If we really cared about the harm that comes to the animals, there would be huge public outrage about anyone who doesn't fix their dog, rather than just a "Hrmmph, you should probably get him fixed" and a wag of the finger.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a really good point, and makes a lot of sense. We care about Vick hanging dogs in his backyard while chillin' by the barbeque pit because it's a character flaw. One so large that society doesn't really want this dude wandering around in public with money, options, and time on his hands.

Still, why the F haven't people come to the rescue of the dogs to adopt them? Basically just show up and be like "Yo, this dog isn't mine. Obviously I don't want to pretent it is, because that would link me to this mess, but between you and me, we both know the real owner isn't showing up, so let me adopt this dog."
Old 08-23-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a really good point, and makes a lot of sense. We care about Vick hanging dogs in his backyard while chillin' by the barbeque pit because it's a character flaw. One so large that society doesn't really want this dude wandering around in public with money, options, and time on his hands.

Still, why the F haven't people come to the rescue of the dogs to adopt them? Basically just show up and be like "Yo, this dog isn't mine. Obviously I don't want to pretent it is, because that would link me to this mess, but between you and me, we both know the real owner isn't showing up, so let me adopt this dog."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to just be lazy and say "Because people don't really give a [censored] about dogs dying or suffering" but that isn't exactly the point I was going for, although it might still be true. My point was more that TONS of dogs are put down every year specifically because their owners are irresponsible about getting them fixed. This failure to get them fixed directly leads to the slaughter (thought I'd use an emotional term, I hear it works wonders) and suffering of many, many more dogs than dog fighting does. But are these people social pariahs, looked down upon, wished anal rape upon? Of course not, because being lazy and inconsiderate isnt sociopathic and doesn't terrify us. But it still causes a ton of harm to dogs. The only real beef I have with this whole Vick thing is all these people pretending like they really care what happens to a bunch of dogs. It is almost entirely irrelevent what happens to the dogs.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:57 AM

Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe because these dogs aren't your typical Fluffy. Few people want a dog for a pet who has been bred and trained to be vicious. Not only would these dogs likely not make good pets, but they would be a huge liability to have.

I'm a dog lover, but I can't even fathom a guess as to how much money someone would have to offer me to take one of these dogs into my home.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe because these dogs aren't your typical Fluffy. Few people want a dog for a pet who has been bred and trained to be vicious. Not only would these dogs likely not make good pets, but they would be a huge liability to have.

I'm a dog lover, but I can't even fathom a guess as to how much money someone would have to offer me to take one of these dogs into my home.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they might not even let you adopt them. These dogs are probably deemed far too dangerous to allow back into peoples homes. You'd probably have to run a shelter or something to get them.

My point was more about all the dogs that ARENT vicious killing machines that are exterminated each year.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:38 AM

Dogs are euthanized because the odds of recovery from whatever illness they have is near zero and that living through that pain is torturous. It is a much more humane and ultimately safer route to go than just to let things go naturally.

Plus, wouldn't you love to see the carcass of your family pet lying in the living room because you didn't "put it to sleep"? Of course, this is magnified if your children (if you have any) were to find it first.

One of my prior family pets got sick for a long time. We found out he had termain cancer and that it was too late to treat him. Eventually, the cancer spread so far that it started to close his throat. We had to carry him to the veterinarian so he could be euthanized rather than watch him die in front of them.

As for these dogs, they have to be destroyed. Due to their horrible upbringing and vicious nature, they cannot operate in a normal household since house breaking them would be an exercise in futility.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The government is after Vick because of the gambling. If it was just the dogs, he'd have done a month in jail, got some probation and donated a million to an animal rights group.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:35 PM

Did anyone watch Roy Jones talk about this? I think he may have compared Vick to Jesus Christ at least 4 times in the conversation...