W. Dunn @ Cin 6 35.29%
S. Alexander(if he plays) @ KC 3 17.65%
T. Henry Vs. Hou 8 47.06%
M. Jones-Drew @ Phi 0 0%
F. Taylor @ Phi 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Re: ****Official 2007 NY Mets NL East Champs Thread****

Why do I have a feeling that any trade we make is going to put me on life-tilt?

BobO was half-right. Our bullpen is fine. No, it's not perfect, but perfect pitchers generally don't go in the bullpen.

As for the offensive woes, though, it's the outfield, not 2B. Gotay has a monster bat for a 2B, although he's a trainwreck on defense. Delgado at 1B has picked up his game a bit, not that it matters, because he's not going anywhere.

Things to make the offense better:
- Beltran healthy.
- Milledge and Chavez/Gomez (when healthy) take over the corners.
- Castro starts at C.

The fact of the matter is that Beltran and Delgado have had bad seasons (good in spurts, but overall subpar). No trade is going to fix a drought from your mainstay power hitters.

The only trade that won't make me puke would be Schoenweiss for Chadford. What are the odds?
Old 07-30-2007, 06:58 PM

On another note:

I read something a week or so ago about how Milledge claimed the success he had batting 2nd was due to seeing mostly fastballs with Reyes on base. I haven't looked at any PBP to see if this is actually true, but it makes sense.

Milledge is regularly made to look foolish by good breaking balls, but has the batspeed to mash against any fastball. Assuming pitchers are actually more likely to throw fastballs with Reyes on base, it seems like a perfect spot for Lastings.

Since I read that article, however, I don't remember seeing him bat 2nd once. Willy?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Attention idiots....

2nd base is WAY more of a pressing need than the bullpen. THIS TEAM CAN'T SCORE! Every team's bullpen struggles and gives up runs, no matter who you bring in unless you have 7 closers there is no stopping that. As bullpens goes, ours is one of the better ones, however our offense has been anemic.

The main problem the mets have always had is whenever we bring a talented hitter into the org. as soon as they dawn the Mets uniform they completely forget how to hit. You have to believe Shea Stadium is a factor here. Luis Castillo is like a 8.000 career hitter at Shea, look it up. His slap hit style is now hurt by Shea's pitcher friendly dimensions. He is a guaranteed offensive boost. We need him!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you, uh, watch baseball? Ever?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:13 PM

Yes I watch baseball ever. When is the last time you saw Castillo make an out at Shea? The Mets score 2 runs a game, we need offensive help.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:15 PM

From Metsblog.com

[ QUOTE ]
According to Baseball-Reference, in 263 plate appearances at Shea Stadium, Luis Castillo is batting .293 with 32 runs, 17 RBI, and 24 walks.

In that time, he has also struck out 31 times and stole 19 bases in 25 attempts.

Castillo's on base percentage of .355 and slugging percentage of .354 add up to an OPS of .709 at Shea Stadium.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-31-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From Metsblog.com

[ QUOTE ]
According to Baseball-Reference, in 263 plate appearances at Shea Stadium, Luis Castillo is batting .293 with 32 runs, 17 RBI, and 24 walks.

In that time, he has also struck out 31 times and stole 19 bases in 25 attempts.

Castillo's on base percentage of .355 and slugging percentage of .354 add up to an OPS of .709 at Shea Stadium.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He better be able to field both his position AND Delgado's, otherwise this is dumb. Gotay's bat is significantly stronger. At least they only gave up 2 minor leaguers that I've never heard of.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:27 AM

I like this deal alot. Yes, Gotay has swung the bat well (let's face it though: he's only had 120 AB's). I'd much rather see him come off the bench and get a start or two a week. Castillo while slightly above average defensively is still an improvement over Gotay at 2nd base.

I also misspoke yesterday: Castillo is actually a FA after this season. Assuming he does sign somewhere else that means some extra draft picks.

All of that for two low-level minor leaguers who have extremely long odds to ever make the majors (even for the Twins).

Now if we can only get our OF healthy...

Also Pedro is making his first rehab start in Single-A today.

Needle,
Don't worry. Gomez is not going to get traded for Payton. The only way Gomez is going anywhere is if the Mets get a front-end starter that they can control for at least 2 more years.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:15 PM

I'm a huge Mulvy fan but it looks like him and Humber are being offered for Cordero. Minaya doesn't look like he is gonna back down today. I expect a couple of moves coming.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a huge Mulvy fan but it looks like him and Humber are being offered for Cordero. Minaya doesn't look like he is gonna back down today. I expect a couple of moves coming.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way Minaya is offering those 2 for Cordero. Maybe Bowden is asking, but I can't possibly see Omar doing that.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:23 PM

I doubt that Mets are gonna get Cordero now. BBTN just said that Minaya gave the Nats 6 guys they wouldn't trade and Nats said they had to offer one of those guys.

37 minutes left and I don't have a clue where they stand right now. Every rumor has fallen through.