W. Dunn @ Cin 6 35.29%
S. Alexander(if he plays) @ KC 3 17.65%
T. Henry Vs. Hou 8 47.06%
M. Jones-Drew @ Phi 0 0%
F. Taylor @ Phi 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: ****Official 2007 NY Mets NL East Champs Thread****

Well a platoon of Anderson/Alou sounds terrible in left. Green has to produce more for a corner outfield for the rest of the year for the Mets to keep this lead and Milledge needs to stay hot and play a good center.

Wow...that sounds bad. Not to mention we have a first basemen that needs to get hot to carry this team, the way that Keith and Gary were talking yesterday we might see Lo Duca on the DL as well. A line up of Reyes, Milledge, Wright, Delgado, Alou, Green, Castro, Gotay. Fun.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:42 PM

Lo Duca wants to be behind the plate for Glavine's 300th. From what I read this morning it looks like his MRI just showed that he tore some scar tissue. Duke played last year for months with a broken hand, so I wouldn't count on him going on the DL.

That said...Castro has looked really good at the plate (terrible on defense) in his limited playing time this year. Lo Duca getting 2 weeks of rest might not be that detrimental after all.

That outfield of Alou/Anderson-Milledge-Green is hurting though. If Beltran is out for more than the next 7 games (he will only miss 7 games if they put him on the DL retro-actively) then Delgado is going to have to get beyond hot. He needs to catch fire.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:48 PM

This is a terrible time for all this to be happening. Brewers/Cubs/Braves/Marlins. Mets get a break with back to back to back series with Marlins, Pirates, Nats(didn't we say that they had a break with Pit/Wash this past week?).

Then the month ends with Pads, Dodgers, Phils then starting Sept with Atl. This is a make or break time for the Mets. Arguably by the end of the month we could see who is really going to be winning this divison considering the teams are all playing themselves(I guess you can say that every August though.)

Just looking rough right now. Gonna need Glavine to stop being himself and turn into 96 Glavine somehow. The Mets have to get games to Wagner anyway they can. I doubt Luis Castilla can help them with that, or Sammy Sosa.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:17 PM

I wouldn't hate brining in Castillo. He can actually play a little defense.

I won't be happy if they bring in Sosa. Alou/Anderson - Milledge - Green/Sosa. I guess it would work if no one ever hit a ball to LF or RF. :-)

I'd prefer to see Omar bring in let's say Castillo + Bradford than anything else at this point. A couple guys who could definitely help us now, would still be under contract for next year and most likely won't cost us any top tier prospects.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:28 PM

In my opinion, the top priority should be getting bullpen help. Second base is far less of a pressing need.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:03 PM

WFAN is saying that Castillo is gonna be a Met soon. I much rather get a reliever but I guess I'll take any offensive help they can get.

Edit: Looks like its a AA Catcher(Drew Butera), and Single A OF(Dustin Marting).

I guess it's cheap so why not. But bullpen help and a possible rental OF w/ power could be a big boost.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:25 PM

Attention idiots....

2nd base is WAY more of a pressing need than the bullpen. THIS TEAM CAN'T SCORE! Every team's bullpen struggles and gives up runs, no matter who you bring in unless you have 7 closers there is no stopping that. As bullpens goes, ours is one of the better ones, however our offense has been anemic.

The main problem the mets have always had is whenever we bring a talented hitter into the org. as soon as they dawn the Mets uniform they completely forget how to hit. You have to believe Shea Stadium is a factor here. Luis Castillo is like a 8.000 career hitter at Shea, look it up. His slap hit style is now hurt by Shea's pitcher friendly dimensions. He is a guaranteed offensive boost. We need him!
Old 07-30-2007, 06:37 PM

Luis Castillo is not a guaranteed offensive improvement over Gotay/Easley. His on base percentage ain't that great, and he's got no power at all.

Castillo may be a better fit in terms of the classic number two slot, but he's not coming here because he's so much better offensively. His defense is a big part of the attraction, I'm sure.

And if you think the Mets' bullpen is great, then you're not paying attention. They may be fine, but there are plenty of worrisome signs. One of their best relievers (Smith) is now in AAA, Mota has been awful and Schowenweiss mediocre at best.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:37 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I guess I just didn't mind trotting a platoon out at 2nd for the rest of the year, but Castillo is a huge boost, I'll admit when I am wrong.

But Gomez for Jay Payton might be the worst thing I have ever heard. There are no indications that the Mets will do this but I can't believe that the O's would even ask that.

Mets are looking at Gagne now, but Yanks/Red Sox seem to be ahead of the NYM.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:41 PM

By the way, I'll add that I don't object to getting Castillo because he evidently came so cheap. But I will be disappointed if the Mets don't make a real effort at upgrading the bullpen (even though there may not be much available).