50001-75000 7 10.61%
75001-100000 5 7.58%
100000-150000 7 10.61%
>150000 12 18.18%
dont care /resutls please 17 25.76%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: *official 2007 red sox thread*

With the bullpen torched, they got the right guy on the mound tomorrow. Hopefully, we can get at least 7 from Dice-K.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:21 AM

Dear Yankees,

We were just [censored] with you.

Thanks,
Red Sox
Old 07-29-2007, 02:45 AM

Notes from the game:

--Sellout. They had to pull the old Oakland trick of covering acres of seats up top, but since they did, it's a "sellout".

--Club seats were sweet. Free beer throughout the game (brought to your seat by waitresses who were getting tipped by absolutely NOBODY except us). Shrimp and pasta was good. Roast pork, potatoes, and brussel sprouts with hollandaise sauce were awesome. Wings were meaty. Dogs were good. Plastic forks/knives/plates, not so good. Price was great (included with ticket).

Bottom line: Glad I did it once, don't feel the pressing need to do it again.

--Worst. Marketed. Team. EVER! Forget that there is hardly a mention of the "Whitney Bank Club" section on Google. Forget that the on-field product is a joke. This organization dropped the ball at every opportunity tonight.

For starters, the multi-million dollar JumboTron never showed a replay of a close play. They never showed a replay of a Boston player making a nice play (such as Manny's catch--I'm telling you, if you were at the ballpark, you saw no replay on the big, beautiful screen).

Tonight's promotion was "Flower Power Night", where the ushers all dressed like hippies. They had a guy play a Hendrix-style national anthem, except that this guy was no Hendrix. When he was done, I heard a spectator say, "I feel like they tricked me into standing for that.".

I know nothing about promotions/marketing, but I'm convinced that I could do a better job than whoever is in charge of it now.

--The "worst stadium in baseball" is not that bad at all. Of course, the catwalks stayed out of play tonight.

--Manny and Papi were not the ones putting on a show during batting practice. Who was? Lowell was spraying souveniers all over the LF bleachers; Drew was taking aim at the RF foul pole like a hockey player who tries to hit goal posts in practice; and WMP looked like King Kong out there, blasting the longest balls in all directions.

--Gotta hand it to the D-Rays fans. Every time the Sox fans would start cheering, the D-Rays fans would do their best to drown 'em out, even though the home fans were vastly outnumbered by the visitors. It was the loudest baseball game I've ever been to (of course, it dawned on me as I drove home that there's a ROOF on the place).
Old 07-29-2007, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For starters, the multi-million dollar JumboTron never showed a replay of a close play.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not allowed to show any questionable plays on the JumboTron. Its an MLB enforced rule to not cause the stadium to get crazy. The team can actually get fined over it.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:59 AM

ytf, nice report. I'd like to make it down to TB for a Sox game in the near future.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Yankees,

We were just [censored] with you.

Thanks,
Red Sox

[/ QUOTE ]

post in Yankees thread FTW
Old 07-29-2007, 03:49 PM

Good, they took out lefty, he was tough. Nice to be playing teams that have no chance and have other concerns beyond winning.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

For starters, the multi-million dollar JumboTron never showed a replay of a close play.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not allowed to show any questionable plays on the JumboTron. Its an MLB enforced rule to not cause the stadium to get crazy. The team can actually get fined over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a couple weeks ago there was a play that was reversed by the umps and there was an uproar because people believed the replays on the jumbotron influence the overturn. So it definitely does happen.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:13 PM

Kazmir was viscious today. Would have been nice to get this one, especially because it was close late with the best bullpen vs. the worst, but whatever.

Runners on 1st and 2nd in the 1st inning with nobody out. 2 pitches later, inning over. Watching Papi and Manny hit with RISP puts me on full-blown life tilt lately...

Much needed day off tomorrow. Back home vs. Baltimore Tuesday.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:10 PM

ytf, I think you are a bit off on the promotions/marketing. However, they are separate categories so then again maybe you're right.

Maybe they could do better with sponsorships(although just because you don't know them doesn't mean they aren't decent, especially in the Tampa area). After all we know about Fenway and the Red Sox being all about local sponsorships. They could do a better job but I am 100% certain you are wrong about promotions.

They do a great job with promotions for fans, etc. They give away a bazillion free tickets(I have tickets to like 20 free games). I notice they target a TON towards kids and families which is a larger part of their market. They do very good giveaways, etc, like all the kids got a Crawl Crawford action figure(lol) today. We also got Carl Crawford posters(wait for it) that had the game's date and Rays vs Red Sox on it as a keepsake for the game. Some of this is typical of most ML teams but they are very consistent/solid with this stuff. They do games on the field/run the bases, BP, othet stuff for the kids after the game which is really cool. They tried to invite all the Red Sox kids/fans to be involved(I had 2 5 year olds with me) which was really cool. I got to go down on the field and run around on the cool turf which was fun for me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] They have amazingly good food and restaurants on the different levels of the stadium & have half a level dedicated to kids games(fast pitch, virtual reality stuff, etc). Maybe they don't do enough for the adult crowd but when you struggle to get people in the seats, they do their best with what I'm guessing is their target market.

The stadium is vastly underrated and is a lot of fun especially when you get to stay cool for a change at a game.
The only thing I can really complain about is the parking, it was the worst I have experienced at a baseball game. Wow.

Looks like you just went on a crappy night, but every team has some very silly promotion nights & they aren't always going to be the very best when you are already getting the stands packed because the Sox are in town. It's smarter to save your serious promotions for other games.

I have no idea about the replay stuff but they showed all the great replays today. In general, teams don't show close plays, it's hardly just the DRays.

As for the game, obv I go & we lose but it was a pretty fun game with some sick pitching by Kazmir especially. Good to see home home runs by our guys too.