Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: QB
Brees @PIT 3 50.00%
Brady vs. NYJ 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Colts Pumping Artificial Noise into The Dome

Here's a more neutral one. You're welcome Colts fans!

Old 11-05-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I was listening to Sirius coming in and they apparently listened to both the Colts broadcast and the Pats broadcast and didn't hear anyhting like what is on from the CBS broadcast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do different broadcasts use field mics in different locations?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i have found definitive proof that this isn't the first time this has happened...

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao. gold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-05-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
watching it over again, what makes me think it was amplified noise and not a broadcast problem is that only part of the feed skipped. the announcer stays normal throughout.

[/ QUOTE ]

that doesn't really prove anything imo.
If one mic cuts in and out or some guy on the switches flips it in and out that can make a big difference on the glitch.

Not saying this proves it WAS a CBS situation.
But I believe it can be relatively simple for something like this to happen where the announcers stay constant and the fans don't.

Think about some other broadcasts:
Fox Baseball they juice up the mic for the fans and then they cut out suddenly or juice up suddenly when there's a play at first or a some other change. They are messing with those crowd and fx mics back and forth all game.

Same goes for a lot of college football broadcasts. All you hear is a trumpet or something and then it cuts out. It's not that the band had stopped playing then or that ONLY one or two trumpets were playing. It was mic position and volume.

If you really pay attention to the FX mics during other sports broadcasts you can hear stuff cut in and out all the time while the announcers remain constant.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That sound wasn't in the dome. If it had been, you all would have heard reporters asking Pats and Colts players/coaches about it in the post game press conferences after the game.
Because the sound was only heard on television, all the pointless punditry will happen tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true at all.
The press-box sound-proofedness is pretty good. It's pretty quiet in there. If there were only 50 people in the entire place who were NOT going to hear that happen it would have been the people inside the working press-box.

edit - note that I'm speaking of football press-boxes in general and not specifically the RCADome pressbox. But I'm guessing my experience in many CFB press-boxes where it is super-quiet is not different than NFL pressboxes.

Reporters and photographers down on the field would be able to hear it though. But the sideline announcer would have been struggling somewhat since they are wearing an earpiece or headphones and are listening to the guys broadcasting the game and maybe the producer.

Regarding the idea of "how bad would these people have to be to leave a CD around catching dust all day?"
These are big big speakers but sometimes it's just some computer click-FX system or basic CD player.
Sometimes it isn't as professional as you would expect it to be.

After hearing it on youtube I do agree it sounds like a skipping CD and not a CBS glitch though. But just because I can't think of a way this wouldn't happen via CBS doesn't mean it isn't impossible.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember exactly when this happened during the start of the fourth quarter and my brother and I recognized it as fake crowd noise as it happened. It was such an obvious busted situation.

The question is, was it a skipping CD, or a computer crashing that caused the glitch, and how could the Colts sound guys not have better equipment?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you read the thread or are you grunching?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But just because I can't think of a way this wouldn't happen via CBS doesn't mean it isn't impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, what is that, a quintuple negative?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I was listening to Sirius coming in and they apparently listened to both the Colts broadcast and the Pats broadcast and didn't hear anyhting like what is on from the CBS broadcast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do different broadcasts use field mics in different locations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and no. CBS would likely have their own mics at various locations. A radio broadcast can choose to accept the 'FX feed' if they want to. You plug in that feed to your system and now you get all the same crowd-FX that they have on the regular TV broadcast along with perhaps your own crowd-mic or two.

I really don't know how they do it in the NFL but it wouldn't surprise me.
That doesn't mean that Sirius might turn down the volume of that very same FX feed or that the local NFL broadcasters would just prefer to use their own mic thrown out the window since some of them are kind of old-school.

In the NHL and college-hockey for example it would be silly for every single broadcast to set up microphones along the boards to hear the puck getting slapped and the big hits against the boards. So the arena sets up a few mics at the top of the boards in various locations and offers the wire of that sound to any of the radio or TV broadcasters who want them.
And then you adjust the volume of the hits on your own.

So in this situation I believe that if CBS had their mics juiced and the local broadcasters turned down the same mics or just opted to use one mic outside their window and perhaps one telscopic mic down on the field then it's very possible to get completely different results when listening to the audio.

You can really tell the difference in audio during baseball games imo.
Just listen to the radio of the Angels playing the A's and switch between each team's broadcast and then also listen to the audio on the TV broadcast. It can sound like you are listening to 3 different games taking place at completely different locations because the sound level will be so varied.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But just because I can't think of a way this wouldn't happen via CBS doesn't mean it isn't impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, what is that, a quintuple negative?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I didn't even think of that but if you count 'impossible' as a negative also then it is definitely a quintipule but it does make sense (sort of) for the situation I think. That has to be my first quintuple where I wasn't just trying to be pointlessly silly and weird.

But I'm trying to think of other ways it could be a CBS glitch with some sort of computer-enhanced microphone and the batteries started to die on it or something and I definitely think something like that might be possible. I really don't know what kind of mics they have today but batteries on remote-mics do die in mid-broadcast all the time and if they have some new-fangled electronic-computer device sending the audio back to their truck instead of just regular radio waves to transmit the wireless sound then I guess I can see a scenario where this could possibly happen.

But if we really have Colts fans who say they heard it then that is obviously pretty significant. I'm just trying to think of technical ways
Old 11-05-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That sound wasn't in the dome. If it had been, you all would have heard reporters asking Pats and Colts players/coaches about it in the post game press conferences after the game.
Because the sound was only heard on television, all the pointless punditry will happen tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true at all.
The press-box sound-proofedness is pretty good. It's pretty quiet in there. If there were only 50 people in the entire place who were NOT going to hear that happen it would have been the people inside the working press-box.

edit - note that I'm speaking of football press-boxes in general and not specifically the RCADome pressbox. But I'm guessing my experience in many CFB press-boxes where it is super-quiet is not different than NFL pressboxes.

Reporters and photographers down on the field would be able to hear it though. But the sideline announcer would have been struggling somewhat since they are wearing an earpiece or headphones and are listening to the guys broadcasting the game and maybe the producer.

Regarding the idea of "how bad would these people have to be to leave a CD around catching dust all day?"
These are big big speakers but sometimes it's just some computer click-FX system or basic CD player.
Sometimes it isn't as professional as you would expect it to be.

After hearing it on youtube I do agree it sounds like a skipping CD and not a CBS glitch though. But just because I can't think of a way this wouldn't happen via CBS doesn't mean it isn't impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob,
The only enclosed boxes at the RCA domes are the live TV and Radio boxes. All the boxes that the writers are in are open air. If a writer heard that, they'd be asking people about it post game press conferences and interviews.