Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Adrian Peterson is not Overrated, statistical comparison CTaylor -

I don't know if you've ever played any sports competitively...but an athlete determined to win does not think about this while involved in a play.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if you've ever played any sports competitively...but an athlete determined to win does not think about this while involved in a play.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true until he gets his first major injury. After that, many are often gunshy and more tentative, especially if they are not 100% yet. McNabb is a good example.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:06 AM

This will be the best 8 game stretch of Adrian Peterson's career. How could he not be overrated?
Old 11-06-2007, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Adrian Peterson is averaging 6.5 yards per carry on carries behind the left side of his OLine and 7.3 yards per carry on carries to the left sideline. This compares to 5.4 yards on carries behind the right side of his OLine, but only 4.1 yards per carry to the right sideline.

ADP is amazing, but thats a great side of the line, and hes clearly not doing as well on the other side. I don't say any of this to take away from ADP; Rather I say it to give credit to that line.

101,360 and counting

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's bring it up to date shall we?

Left side 7.8, right side 5.2, middle 6.0, left sideline 7.3, right sideline 6.3.

He is running slightly more often to the left than right.

By all means we can acknowledge that left side of the line is a run blocking machine.
But you also have to acknowledge that his average yards per carry to the right side/line - a side which is maybe average in quality for the NFL- would still lead the league in yards per carry.

I'm not sure why people are trying to take out his long runs to make some comparisons- or why people are still trying to argue hes a bust or boom back, or trying to make sure people realize the left side of his line is really really good.
If people look closely they will see all of these dropoffs for nearly every back in the league- which means what... teams have a side of their line that is generally better than the other- or that a back runs slightly better one direction than another.

Peterson gets as many yards after contact as anybody in the NFL right now. He has little control as any back would of where he initially gets hit when its a jailbreak into the backfield.

fwiw- I cannot for the life of me understand why Barber doesn't get more carries, but he has dropoffs in his splits also.

I think Thayer is going the right direction though.

Spergon Wynn is a better runner than Peterson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though I specifically said it in my post, I feel as if you ignored it. Let me repeat:

My post had nothing to do with ADP. I was not trying to take anything away from him. Rather I feel as if people are not giving enough credit to that great o-line. That o-line makes a completely average back like Taylor look like a pro bowl calibre RB and they make a great RB look even better. This dispite the fact that nobody respects their passing game. Its really amazing.

101,342 and counting

[/ QUOTE ]

Taylor's 6tds all last year, distances: 4, 95, 1, 1, 1, 1 and only 4.0ypc = pro bowl #'s these days?

The offensive line is strong on the left, weak on the right slightly better than average overall.

Because teams stack the box and there is no threat of a passing game he is in a less than ideal situation and would do better in a better offense (see E.James on colts vs E.James on ARI).

Because teams stack the box there are more tackles in the backfield (I really dont think by much, #'s plz) but once he gets to the 2nd level there is less to avoid which also results in more long runs.

Stacking the box is obv +EV for the defense otherwise 8/8 teams so far wouldn't have done it. AKA less than ideal situation.

He's dominant. In 25% of his games this year he has had over 220yds rushing not bad considering most RBs haven't ever done that, and no RB has ever had 296.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again...I don't know why you guys keep responding to my posts with posts about ADP. My post was solely to praise their o-line and I wasn't saying anything about ADP.

101,003 and counting
Old 11-06-2007, 05:37 AM

god damnit assani you skipped my number with your countdown
Old 11-06-2007, 07:31 AM

Some of AP's big runs have included feats or strength speed and agility that very few if any backs could pull off. I'm thinking of one run in particular a few weeks ago where he breaks a tackle or two then jukes another few tacklers to then outrun defensive backs to the endzone.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This will be the best 8 game stretch of Adrian Peterson's career. How could he not be overrated?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its a safe wager that once he has a team that can pass the ball he will be more effective.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Once again...I don't know why you guys keep responding to my posts with posts about ADP. My post was solely to praise their o-line and I wasn't saying anything about ADP.

101,003 and counting

[/ QUOTE ]

You said that their oline can make anybody look like a probowler, just saying that Taylor did not have anything close to pro bowl #'s last year.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true until he gets his first major injury. After that, many are often gunshy and more tentative, especially if they are not 100% yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly would you consider "first major injury" Broken Collarbone for example? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2007, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its a safe wager that once he has a team that can pass the ball he will be more effective.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is he going to be more effective. You think he's going to run for 7 yards per carry?