Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Why Is Only \"Micro Evolution\" Acceptable?

And here it is-

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't say evolution was false but I did say that it is likely that it is a myth.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you mean it's a true myth?
Or that you're not claiming it is false, just that it's likely to be false?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying that while evolution might be true, but there is enough doubt surrounding it that it is likely to be a myth.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK so you are saying it is likely evolution is false? This seems harsh if it is just because there are some things it hasnt yet explained. (I dont know what the water problem you have alluded to is - I'd be interested to hear a summary, but not enough to follow a link [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I am. Why, you might ask? It's for several reasons.

1) Evolution is a challenge to the Genesis account of creation
2) Christians believe in Satan
3) Christians believe that Satan is trying (through money, power, influence, fear, intimidation, etc.) to defraud the people into following him

The prism that the Christian looks through, therefore, suggests caution (especially when it appears to contradict scripture as is the case with evolution) because Christians fear buying into the Great Deception.

Now, in that light, I can't begin to explain to you how so many of them decided to vote for George W. Bush.
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Question answered. TY.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And the "true" folks have far more money. Sorry to disturb your persecution complex.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would disagree. The true elites of this country have far more money than the Christians do. Lots more. I don't consider it persecution, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say the "true elites" are the politicians (virtually all Christian), and many corporate executives are indeed Christian. It sounds like you're talking about Bill Gates and Warren Buffet? Atheists are over-represented among the wealthiest people. Particularly among self-made billionaires. This hardly seems indicative of a conspiracy to me. Also, there are many Christians (and other theists) among the world's richest people. Theists actually make up the majority, based on a quick scan.

The most prominent are the Waltons, and I don't think they support your point. Look at how the Waltons spend their money versus how Gates and Buffet spend theirs.

The people trying to manipulate policy in this country are almost always Christian.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not evidencing an overt conspiracy. People who are nontheist pour their money into secular foundations that promote arts, sciences, knowledge, etc. This hardly means that it is a cabal.

I really don't see how the Walton donations manipulate policy in favor of Christianity. A cursory look at the "Walton Family Foundation" shows education and the environment as priorities.

Politicians are almost all Christian? That's the first time I've ever heard that.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Politicians are almost all Christian? That's the first time I've ever heard that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wiki: Current members of the US congress
-under religious demographics

US governors' religious affiliations

-both of these are maybe a couple years out of date...but you get the point
Old 09-28-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wiki: Current members of the US congress
-under religious demographics

US governors' religious affiliations

-both of these are maybe a couple years out of date...but you get the point

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, because politicians would never lie about something like that.

I go to a hospital with "Saint" in it's name. The first time I went there a nun was registering me so I just let her check off Roman Catholic since I felt bad and my family is at least Catholic and stuff.

Point being, this information is close to being useless. If you really grilled Congress off the record I would be willing to bet that a decent percentage of them (10%?) are agnostic at the least. Let's put it this way: there is definitely more than one atheist.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not evidencing an overt conspiracy. People who are nontheist pour their money into secular foundations that promote arts, sciences, knowledge, etc. This hardly means that it is a cabal.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's encouraging. Many of your fellow creationists disagree. Still, I feel it's an uphill battle. After all, when a Christian group gives to charity, that is evidence that Christians are nice. When an atheist group gives to charity, that's grounds for suspicion.

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't see how the Walton donations manipulate policy in favor of Christianity. A cursory look at the "Walton Family Foundation" shows education and the environment as priorities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I could make a long post here, but I won't. It would get political and it's not really the point. I'm definitely biased so a grain of salt is justified.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One of these days I'll get around to gathering the data on anti-atheist sentiment. If I'm going to be involved in these debates, I'll need at least the basics at hand. Suffice it to say that not only are almost all US politicians Christian, but some research indicates that a majority of Americans aren't even willing to vote for an atheist, period. People like Jesse Ventura are major exceptions - I don't even know of any other high-profile atheist politician, I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't any. Ventura only made it anywhere because he was famous.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That's encouraging. Many of your fellow creationists disagree. Still, I feel it's an uphill battle. After all, when a Christian group gives to charity, that is evidence that Christians are nice. When an atheist group gives to charity, that's grounds for suspicion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would hammer a fellow Christian for saying such. It is a terribly judgmental thing to say.

[ QUOTE ]
One of these days I'll get around to gathering the data on anti-atheist sentiment. If I'm going to be involved in these debates, I'll need at least the basics at hand. Suffice it to say that not only are almost all US politicians Christian, but some research indicates that a majority of Americans aren't even willing to vote for an atheist, period. People like Jesse Ventura are major exceptions - I don't even know of any other high-profile atheist politician, I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't any. Ventura only made it anywhere because he was famous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't issue blame for someone being an atheist. The atheists at least have considered many of the finer points of theology or lack thereof and, I think, some of the points are really out of caring for other people.

Let me put it to you this way:

I'd rather hear you ask, "Why would a loving God send person A to hell for eternity?"

-THAN-

"Well, all of those people [insert some group] are goin' STRAIGHT TO HELL!"
Old 09-28-2007, 10:13 PM

This is kind of like that movie What The Bleep.... scientists sued the movie company for lying to them about what the movie was and editing their interviews to present views they didn't have.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you not possibly know this? Granted, some politicians are probably lying about their faith in order to gain elected office, but almost every last politician in the US claims to be Christian.

Declaring yourself to be an atheist is a sure-fire way of losing an election.