Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: An Amazing Life

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What was that you called yourself the other day?? Oh, yeah I remember now...the "#sstakes king of anti-theism".

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you following my posts in other forums? He he he. Anyway, this was an inside joke from the IRC place that I chat, pretty sure my post had a [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] in it. I am not actually an anti-theist, but I concede that trying to talk with you about theism is making me reconsider.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not anti-theist huh? You said it so there must be some element of truth to it. Don't change your tune now that I called you on it. Wouldn't want to be dishonest would you?

And, no I don't "follow you" around. I just happened to see it.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing in the Bible that requires Christians to argue with non-believers

[/ QUOTE ]

1 Peter, 3:15 (NIV)

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not anti-theist huh? You said it so there must be some element of truth to it.

[/ QUOTE ]
What? This doesn't make a lick of sense. It was an inside joke that you have no context of. You are way out of your element here.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You know as well as I do that you are even remotely interested in what I believe nor are you searching for Christ as your personal savior. You & I have been down this road before remember, so save us both some time & drop the act, ok.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am searching for the truth. If you have possession of truth that I am missing, I want it too. Simple as that. Your personal bias in this area is irrelevant. You have no idea what I am or am not searching for. You are acting very hostile towards me for someone who claims to be a devout Christian.

[ QUOTE ]
As I said multiple times, I take the Bible as the infallible Word of God on faith. You don't. We are on two different paths. I don't know how much plainer I can make it.

[/ QUOTE ]
How did you decide to have faith in the Bible over the other books you could have chosen to have faith in? That you don't have a good answer is making me lean towards thinking my Mormon friend is right. Doesn't seem very Christian to let me jump into the hellfire like that. Asking for even a small reason does not seem like too much to ask. Why don't you want to help me? Why won't you answer my questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times have I said FAITH in Jesus Christ??

Faith is not a good enough answer for you is it tpir? You are too blinded by the world to accept such a simple solution. That's why you keep bringing up the same question. We were talking about miracles earlier, I showed you one in Acts with Paul & all you did, as usual, was use your critical thinking 'well, how do you know' questions to wave it away.

Like I said, drop the act. It's getting old.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he means is why did you choose to have faith in THAT? You see the problem? Faith is meaningless, or at least EXTREMELY problematic the way you are using it. Its impossible to have faith in one thing without having faith in all things.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:54 PM

An answer is not the same as an argument...Christians are not required to argue...
Old 09-21-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What he means is why did you choose to have faith in THAT?

[/ QUOTE ]

he knows what he means.

the implied answer is "it's obviously true and everyone not blinded by the world has faith."
Old 09-21-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can you tell me this...Where is Mohammed buried? How 'bout Buddha (any of them will be sufficient)? Anybody know????

Now where is Jesus buried???

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I have no idea where any of those people are buried. What is your point?

Also, are you going to keep ignoring my other questions/points? I asked you some serious ones that I spent time coming up with. I keep checking back to see if you have answered but I will stop if you are never going to.

Saying you won't answer them because you think I am acting is both weak and based on something which isn't true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping you'd ask me what my point was!!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!!

The point is that you can go visit their gravesites. You can see it. You can touch it. It's real. They are nothing more than physical, rotting corpse in a grave. Just like you & I will be someday.

When was the last time that you have ever seen a Christian go to Jesus's grave?? Do we have annual pilgrimmages to the tomb of our savior?? I can promise you he's not in a grave somewhere.

Nonbeliever's have been trying for 2000+ years to find the body of Christ without much luck. That ought to tell you something!

Do you ask your Christian friends & family these same questions?
Old 09-21-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An answer is not the same as an argument...Christians are not required to argue...

[/ QUOTE ]

Then leave? I don't get your point. We didn't ask you to come here. You came here, presumably for some purpose. Most of us come here to be exposed to varied viewpoints and to discuss (argue, snipe, whatever) varied topics in science, math and philosophy. Most of us consider religion to be some part of philosophy, so we are happy to discuss religious topics.

What exactly is your goal in posting here? If its to convert us, thats absolutely fine by me. But you aren't going to do it by quoting scripture sans analysis or crying every time someone says something snotty or mean. We're reasonable people here, for the most part, even if we have hardened hearts. We respond to logic and reasoning, persuasive arguments, not badgering and fallacies. And certainly not pity.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can you tell me this...Where is Mohammed buried? How 'bout Buddha (any of them will be sufficient)? Anybody know????

Now where is Jesus buried???

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I have no idea where any of those people are buried. What is your point?

Also, are you going to keep ignoring my other questions/points? I asked you some serious ones that I spent time coming up with. I keep checking back to see if you have answered but I will stop if you are never going to.

Saying you won't answer them because you think I am acting is both weak and based on something which isn't true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping you'd ask me what my point was!!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!!

The point is that you can go visit their gravesites. You can see it. You can touch it. It's real. They are nothing more than physical, rotting corpse in a grave. Just like you & I will be someday.

When was the last time that you have ever seen a Christian go to Jesus's grave?? Do we have annual pilgrimmages to the tomb of our savior?? I can promise you he's not in a grave somewhere.

Nonbeliever's have been trying for 2000+ years to find the body of Christ without much luck. That ought to tell you something!

Do you ask your Christian friends & family these same questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? This is convincing to you?
Old 09-21-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

first, nobody suggested he was biblically obligated to argue. of course, you don't see the relevance of this fact, because you don't see why it's bad to come out and contradict a claim no one is making.

second, no one is even insisting that he argue. (he is arguing, anyway.) what people are asking is that he answer specific questions.

ironically, he does seem to be biblically obligated to give a reason for the hope that he has ("i do because i do is clearly not a reason") so thank you for introducing biblical obligation to answer the question "why do you have faith?"