Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: How much to spend on a nice first car?

Seems like a newbie guide to investing thread would be a big hit.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:14 PM

Clayton,

I think the 350Z is a sweet car.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:17 PM

Not to be the lame party pooper, but the one friend of mine who had a 350Z apparently had a lot of problems with it because he just traded it back in for a new truck.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a $50k BMW at one point and really hated the thing even though it was a nice car. The problem was it just wasn't anything that cool, and if you're spending a lot of money you should get something you realllly like. I just felt like I would have rather gotten a $10,000 Honda or something.

Now I drive the Bentley which after all the work I put into it comes to $200k or so but it's just so ridiculously sick that I'm vvvv pleased with the purchase. Really I have a blast every time I take it for a drive.

So basically my advice would be to buy from a dealership that you like and are comfortable with, do not feel rushed into buying something that you just "kinda like" and instead find something that is just too damn sick to not buy. And if nothing gives you that feeling just pick up something cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think cts' advice is real good. get something to get you by until you can buy something you really want, instead of just buying the most expensive thing you can comfortably afford at the moment. then, when you buy your dream car it will be that much more fulfilling. personally, i'm waiting and not buying another car until i'm basically financially free and will buy a lambo. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2007, 04:25 PM

Get a 97 or 98 Porsche 911. You can get a nice one for about 30 grand. Take good care of it and you'll get 25 grand 5 years from now.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:54 PM

Clayton, something to consider:

People who say "you should spend 10-15k on a crappy car" are missing the point, you can actually do OK in that price range. I just bought a 2002 Acura TL with 105k miles for $9600--I was looking around and I'm pretty sure you can get one with much less mileage for under $15k.

In your situation I would probably just splurge for a nice car. But, just because you don't spend 25k doesn't mean you're driving a 99 Civic.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:09 PM

350Z is a good choice, and you may actually end up preferring the manual to the automatic in a car like that.

I think the fact that you have been driving an old truck for a while will really add to the fun factor of driving a 350Z.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:13 PM

350z's are nice, 2 door cars suck.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

People who say "you should spend 10-15k on a crappy car" are missing the point, you can actually do OK in that price range. I just bought a 2002 Acura TL with 105k miles for $9600--I was looking around and I'm pretty sure you can get one with much less mileage for under $15k.

In your situation I would probably just splurge for a nice car. But, just because you don't spend 25k doesn't mean you're driving a 99 Civic.

[/ QUOTE ]

you bought a car with over 100k miles for almost 10k? thats insane.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you bought a car with over 100k miles for almost 10k? thats absolute [censored] insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, those saying don't buy new are being overly simple. Check out depreciation rates and stuff and get a consumer reports subscription. Everyone spitting all these "baller" cars are also the same cars that will cost you a [censored] fortune to fix. You have any idea how much it even costs to get oil and filters changed on an Audi? Also, be careful for cars that *need* premium gas. Thats an extra $0.10-$0.20 every gallon you use, which can be super expensive if you get a car with a big engine that guzzles gas and you are looking at a serious added expense. Just remember when you buy something that usually the purchase of the car itself pales in comparison to the price of gas, and repairs over the life of the car. Also find the brand with the best standard warranty. No I am not pushing a Hyundai or Kia on him, but there is no reason to pay all this money on an expensive car, that will just cost you a [censored] ton down the road. I.E. audi's