Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Favorite Uncomfortable Sports Broadcasting Moments

[ QUOTE ]

Trying to find some homerun calls that weren't really homeruns, but no luck, those are always a good laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or delayed home run calls, like Harry Caray used to do. "It might be (ball just landed in bleachers), it could be (dad shown handing ball to proud son), it is!!! (next batter grounding out) A home run for Jody Davis!!! (inning over, going to Round-Up weed killer commercial.)
Old 08-14-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Trying to find some homerun calls that weren't really homeruns, but no luck, those are always a good laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or delayed home run calls, like Harry Caray used to do. "It might be (ball just landed in bleachers), it could be (dad shown handing ball to proud son), it is!!! (next batter grounding out) A home run for Jody Davis!!! (inning over, going to Round-Up weed killer commercial.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't go into my deep, utter and abiding hatred for Astros pxp man Milo Hamilton, but 2 years ago, he was calling a game with color guy Alan Ashby that went into extra innings.

IIRC, the visiting team (the Mets?) scored two runs in the top of the 10th, and the Astros scored one run in the bottom of the 10th and had two on and two out. The batter hit a fly ball to right. Here's the call from Hall of Famer, Milo Hamilton:

Milo: Swinging, it's a little looper into right. [Right fielder] settles under it, he's got it. SO WE GO TO THE TENTH!

[...]

Ashby: No, the game's over, Milo.

aksl;fjsad;lfjaitjwerjersjkJ:L
Old 08-14-2007, 01:21 PM

I went and got the Jim Mora clip before I realized it doesn't qualify because it's not sports broadcasting at all. However, it is the most awesome postgame press conference bit ever, so here.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went and got the Jim Mora clip before I realized it doesn't qualify because it's not sports broadcasting at all. However, it is the most awesome postgame press conference bit ever, so here.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is my firm opinion that this will never be topped. This is the greatest sound bite of all time.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:24 PM

Yeah Milo is getting annoying in his old age. Lately I've been studying until 9:30 every night up at work, and I'm driving home and put 740 on and it takes like 10 minutes just to figure out what inning it is, who's winning, who's currently pitching...etc. Milo seems to forget he's doing radio and should paint a picture at least minimally representative of the game.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah Milo is getting annoying in his old age. Lately I've been studying until 9:30 every night up at work, and I'm driving home and put 740 on and it takes like 10 minutes just to figure out what inning it is, who's winning, who's currently pitching...etc. Milo seems to forget he's doing radio and should paint a picture at least minimally representative of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hated him when he was coherent, and now I can't stand to hear his stupid fake foghorn voice. He also can't correctly call a play, which is pretty important when you are a play by play announcer. I can't count the number of "calls" he's done like this:

"swinging.... out to left... back there and... YEAAA!!!"

I'm seriously getting pissed off just typing this.

/hijack.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:46 PM

I think this fits into the discussion, though it didn't happen at a sporting event. I was at a Pearl Jam show at Alpine Valley in East Troy, Wisconsin with what appeared to be about 30,000 other people. Pearl Jam is in their encore, doing Crazy Mary, when Kerry Wood (Cubs pitcher), barges on stage out of nowhere, nearly tackles Eddie Vedder, grabs the mic and tries to sing a few lines - some of the most slurred singing I've heard. Vedder's giant security guard runs out and nearly tackles Wood, when Vedder calls him off at the last second. Vedder awkwardly announces, "Kerry Wood, ladies and gentlemen!" Wood hangs out on stage for the rest of the song, drinking wine with Vedder. Good times. Great, long show that night.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is my firm opinion that this will never be topped. This is the greatest sound bite of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think it's number 2 behind Dennis Green

But ahead of Herm
Old 08-14-2007, 04:16 PM

Another good one from NASCAR.

The on track report comes up to ward burton after he got loose in a turn and had a single car crash. Ward has the worst southern accent ever.

Reporter: Can you tell us what happened up in turn 3?

Ward: (never stops walking) I hit the god damned wall.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:42 PM

If anyone is watching Jim Rome right now - Adam Carolla is guest hosting. Throughout the the 6-8 minute intro where they touch on certain issues, he was trying to be funny and failed miserably every time.

Not really an entry, but his performance reminded me of this thread.