Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Re: 2007 tour de france

WTF who cares about the Vino news, tomorrow is shaping up to be an epic battle with the two climbers going nuts attacking each other.

BTW Discovery had another great move set up yesterday with George ahead in the break positioned perfectly so that if Contador could attack and get a gap, they could work together and stretch it on the descent. Unfortunately Contador didn't quite start early enough and didn't push it hard enough, but the team is setting up some perfect spots.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF who cares about the Vino news

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet Kloden does.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:43 PM

cbloom,

I get your point about tomorrow, but Vino was a very popular rider. On top of his own fans, for loads of people he was their second-favorite after whoever their favorite local rider was. Of the prerace favorites I'm sure he was the most popular.

I think for him it was a bad move from an EV standpoint. Even doping he had pretty much no chance to win the overall. I could have seen him making up the 8 minutes on Rasmussen who is notoriously bad at the ITT and will no doubt lose a lot of time on the last one, but there were a number of guys that aren't bad time trialists on whom he would have had to make up tons of time. Crashing nearly out of the race and fighting back and winning a stage would have increased his reputation. I think Vino was a sure thing as either some sort of commentator (not sure how good in the booth he would be or what languages he speaks) or even a team director. I think the Astana team was a big success largely thanks to him and he would have had some position with them after retiring.

So basically he had not a lot to gain from getting a bit of an edge and a lot to lose. Even if you are cynical enough to think that 100% of guys dope or blood dope, it seems like in his situation it was clearly very -EV to do so. These guys have a strange mentality though. My personal favorite cyclist, Roberto Heras had won the Vuelta and got caught doping for the final stage which was a flat road race stage. The race wasn't close and there is pretty much no chance that he would have lost. Pretty bizarre.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:31 AM

A bunch of riders staged a protest at the begining of the race today to make a statement against the cheaters. Massive kudos to them.

I have never understood the Vino fascination. He's been wildly inconsistent, never putting together a solid three weeks. It appears now the great rides were probably days he doped and the "cracked" days were days that were the real Vino.

Rasmussen was incredible today. I wonder if it was a "natural" victory? Great ride by Discovery, Contador just didn't have enough in the tank at the end despite every effort to get him there by Levi.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:41 AM

Really dont want someone as shadey as rasmussen to win unfortunately contador didnt have the legs to put in a real big attack.

Also more bad news : http://www.velonews.com/tour2007/new...s/12930.0.html
Old 07-25-2007, 05:28 PM
 is offline

Rasmussen is out.

As a lifelong fan I think the time has just about arrived where I've finally have had enough. It was close last year as well but this is just too much.

The actual racing doesn't even matter anymore. A complete joke.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rasmussen is out.

As a lifelong fan I think the time has just about arrived where I've finally have had enough. It was close last year as well but this is just too much.

The actual racing doesn't even matter anymore. A complete joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rasmussen kicked out by Rabobank.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:45 PM

"A complete joke."

qft tho its nice to see that the team is actually taking a stand along with the riders who protested today. the backlash seems to more prominent this time.

also, not sure of current polices but i think the law really needs to go after the enablers as well, the doctors, drug providers, drug runners, managers in the know etc.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A bunch of riders staged a protest at the begining of the race today to make a statement against the cheaters. Massive kudos to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's almost like a werewolf game ... which of the protestors are actually clean, and which are not?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:16 PM

Cofidis withdrew after Moreni tested positive for testosterone and admitting to using it. Cofidis is a supposed antidoping team that are trying to clean things up. Apparently they should have started at home.

This is all very, very sad. This tour was one of the better Tours de France for some time. Now it's completely ruined. They should stop the race.