Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: SamG\'s Log

[ QUOTE ]
sam,

read this article, maybe there is something in there you can use...

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle....459572&cr=

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, man. Don't have to time to read this now, but I'll check it out before I work out tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:34 PM

8/25 - Workout 'A'

Squat:

1x8x45
1x5x65
1x5x75
3x5x90

I feel like my form improves a little each workout.

Bench:

1x5x45
1x5x65
1x3x90
1x5x120, 1x4x120, 1x2x120

Failed 4th rep 2nd set. Racked the bar after 2nd rep 3rd set. I'll try 120 again next week.

Deadlift:

1x5x45
1x5x115
1x5x150

New PR. I'm doing these with greatly improved form. I probably should've done another warm-up set, though, before I attempted 150.

Pull-ups:

1x1 (unassisted)
1x4, 2x5 (assisted)

My workout partner held my ankles for the assisted pull-ups. Great article, btw, thirddan.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:21 PM

8/27 - Workout B

I need to avoid the gym on Monday evenings. What a zoo. Probably going to start a Tues-Thurs-Sat schedule beginning next week.

Preworkout: 5m elliptical

Squat

1x5x45
1x5x65
1x5x75
3x5x95

+5 lbs since last workout. Back to where I was before I reset. Form felt OK -- much better than last time I squatted this weight. Focused on keeping my chest up and butt out this workout. Wei Yan, my workout partner, commented that these looked easy. I got that mild, dull pain around my tailbone after the first set, however. It went away quickly, but still makes me a little uneasy.

Press

1x5x45
1x5x55
3x5x75

+5 lbs since last workout and new PR. Should I be doing more warm-ups, incidentally?

Chins

1x8, 1x6 (assisted)

I tried to lower myself slowly on the negative. Probably should have done more, but my arms are toasted, which is good I guess.

Workout B feels much easier than Workout A. I almost feel like I'm slacking on B days. Maybe I should add in rows.

About to head out to play an hour of volleyball. We'll see if I can lift my arms.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:25 PM

Just wanted to say "awesome thread". I plan on starting weight training in October or November and this has been very helpful. Nice work, man.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably should have done more, but my arms are toasted, which is good I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

How you feel, unless you're feeling overtrained is a very poor indicator of the progress you're making. Feeling really sore etc. usually is negatively correlated with your progress.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:00 PM

Yes. Add the rows.

Warm-up on the press looks fine. I was gonna say, you might add a triple or so at 135 on the DL, just to have a warm-up at the right height.

You should probably schedule a week off here soon whether you feel you need it or not. Rippetoe probably says something about this?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How you feel, unless you're feeling overtrained is a very poor indicator of the progress you're making. Feeling really sore etc. usually is negatively correlated with your progress.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been wondering about this. Most days I don't feel much at all after leaving the gym -- maybe a little tired, but that goes away quickly. I'm rarely sore the next day. I've been asking myself if I need to push harder.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been wondering about this. Most days I don't feel much at all after leaving the gym -- maybe a little tired, but that goes away quickly. I'm rarely sore the next day. I've been asking myself if I need to push harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at your progress not how you feel. Almost everyone is a greedster and wishes they could get more.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:54 AM

8/27 Cardio: 1h45m volleyball

Going to start weight training and playing volleyball on different days. It's too much on the same day.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. Add the rows.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cool, I'll add them next B workout.

[ QUOTE ]
Warm-up on the press looks fine. I was gonna say, you might add a triple or so at 135 on the DL, just to have a warm-up at the right height.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been putting plates down whenever I have less than 45s on there. It's kind of a hassle, but it helps.

[ QUOTE ]
You should probably schedule a week off here soon whether you feel you need it or not. Rippetoe probably says something about this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Funny you should mention this, I was just reading about it yesterday.

Russian Training Methods -- or -- Will Bodybuilding Stay in the Dark Ages?

I'm not sure if there's anything in the Rippetoe FAQ about this. What do you guys think?