Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2006, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Money Missing From Poker Accounts

[ QUOTE ]
No...my other accounts were not messed with in any fashion...nor have they ever been

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, I'm very sorry for what has happened to you.

Do you not find it odd that the only account affected was Party? Seems like if they could hack into your computer and gain your password for Party, they could do it to the others also.

Personally, I feel there may be a security flaw with Party.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No...my other accounts were not messed with in any fashion...nor have they ever been

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you not find it odd that the only account affected was Party? Seems like if they could hack into your computer and gain your password for Party, they could do it to the others also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you miss the part of the thread where it was clear that Peachy had not patched her OS since a reformat, meaning that she didn't even have SP2?

You're free to indulge in whatever kind of wild conspiracy theory you want, but there is absolutely no grounds for it.

scrub
Old 02-25-2006, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you miss the part of the thread where it was clear that Peachy had not patched her OS since a reformat, meaning that she didn't even have SP2?

You're free to indulge in whatever kind of wild conspiracy theory you want, but there is absolutely no grounds for it.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

I read that she may have had SP2. I read where she said she believed her security was adequate.

Either way though, why is Party the only site being compromised then? If someone hacked into your computer, wouldn't you expect them to go after your Stars or other accounts? But that doesn't seem to happen ever.

Therefore, the fault may not be the users but a potential security flaw on Partys end. Face it, a hacker with access to your computer who could get your Party password would not stop there. They would wipe out all the other poker accounts you have also.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Either way though, why is Party the only site being compromised then? If someone hacked into your computer, wouldn't you expect them to go after your Stars or other accounts? But that doesn't seem to happen ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is based on your super-scientific survey of four threads, two of which dealt with idiots who were convinced someone could see their hole cards?

I talked to Peachy the night the account got hacked and helped her upgrade to SP2. She didn't have it.

scrub
Old 02-25-2006, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

scrub...it just directed me to the sp2 page as a pop up...i had it when i looked at the page later (because i was exshausted at the time of trying to figure out what was on my computer) and i had updated a week ago or so but...when you had me update again it did get some new things though but i dont know what they were...but matt usually makes me update a good bet, espcially after i reformat.

im not saying it wasnt a virus/hack/etc. but it makes me very worried, I dont even wanna check my email.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is based on your super-scientific survey of four threads, two of which dealt with idiots who were convinced someone could see their hole cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I never said anything about that.

I said if someone got hold of Peechys, or anyone elses computer through a hack, why would they leave all other sites alone and not clear them out also?

I mean, face it, the guys that got Peechy and the others knew what they were doing. I'm sure they could figure out how to also join up to Stars and do the same thing.

But the fact is, so far, these are all Party only instances.

So the possiblility theres a security flaw on Partys end that they won't admit to is plausible for now. At least to me. But what do I know, I'm not a Party affiliate.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

c) He hacked your computer and installed something that sent your keystrokes to him. (somewhat likely)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my opinion on what happend.

When all of these "somebody hacked me" posts started appearing it seemed like a trojan in some poker software or something. The more of these that come out, the less they have in common with each other. Some people are seeing their system controlled via a VNC type program. Others like Peachy are having their accounts logged into from somewhere else. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some people in the underground started figuring out they could make money by checking their botnets for hosts with poker software installed.

Peachy, sorry to say but it's unlikely you'll find out what happend. You can either make an exact copy of your harddrive and have someone do an investigation, or you can reformat and move on. If you choose to have someone investigate, I'd find someone professional with experience in these areas. No offense to Pinga but I doubt he can figure this out without access to the drive and I don't think giving a random stranger full access to your drive is a good idea. If you choose to reformat, I'd do it soon as whoever got your account info probably still has access to your machine. Also consider changing all your passwords for any sites you've visited lately.

Scrub, I agree that it's unlikely Party will cough up the money themselves. But, they do have a little extra income lately from all the cheating scandals.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By reloaded I mean loading windows from scratch and making it like brand new. Which antivirus program(s) did you scan with?

This guy used your password from another computer. There's a few ways he could do this.

a) He guessed it (not too likely since you claim it's a decent password)

b) Brute force - he tried many passwords until one worked (not too likely as party should lock your account)

c) He hacked your computer and installed something that sent your keystrokes to him. (somewhat likely)

d) You used the same user name/password on another site that he has control over (I think you already said you didn't do this)

e) He hacked party poker's database and has access to millions of passwords (Less likely but possible)

f) He hacked party's computers and added some custom code to the party application so he can either gather passwords and/or control your computer (again not so likely but possible)

------------------

If we assume (c), this program may still be on your computer. This would help us find and identify it but it would also be very bad for you. Any account you access will be at risk. Changing your passwords won't help if the bad guys sees the new ones as you type them.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few other possibilities:

-Some common software used by 2p2ers could be hacked, not necessarily by the creator even, maybe a third party cracks it and then offers it for download on a mirror or phishing style site. Something like Poker grapher or partymine maybe. (not accusing the makers of those programs of anything)

-phishing, i know that most 2p2ers know not to login to banking sites or paypal from emails they receive about security upgrades or whatnot, but their are still many people out there everyday giving away their ebay and paypal info, so it isnt crazy to think the same thing could work in the poker community. I think many people have their emails in their profiles, So they could fall victim to that. There could even be something on your computer from a cookie or whatever that makes a spoof page open when you try to access the party website to check the store or something.

- using pirated software like windows, or office that you picked up from a torrent or filesharing program..

this stuff is pretty unlikely, but there are many carders/hackers in east europe that devote a considerable amount of time to gathering peoples credit infos to use/sell, and if they all knew how party seems to be doing nothing to stop this, i think this would become a very common problem.

im guessing this tealninja guy is part of a crew that is going to get smarter eventually and start dumping less obviously to multiple accounts. Hopefully party starts freezing these guys cashouts as soon as warning signs come up.

I think the most likely scenerio is someone is taking advantage of a vulnerability in non-sp2 machines. How they are targeting specific 2+2 accounts i have no idea.. Maybe getting ip's from a chat program or maybe they have high level access to a site that is common to everyone. Or it could be just luck of the draw.. this might be wide spread enough that by coincidence several 2+2ers would be hacked.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, face it, the guys that got Peechy and the others knew what they were doing. I'm sure they could figure out how to also join up to Stars and do the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what to make of it, but this fact bothers me too.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:44 AM

I agree with everything you said. No offence taken, also [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I offered to hook Peachy up with a professional in her area if she wants the drive analyzed (I am hoping the authorities are involved and going to do this for free).

It would be nice to get the malware identified and in the A/V community databases.