Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 01:54 AM

Default Re: help people avoid bad movies (and watch good ones)

I really like Capote. I actually liked Infamous better as I thought they developed the characters a lot better. Even if you already saw Caopte, I would highly recommend Infamous, even though they are based on the same exact story.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:27 PM

I saw 2 incredible movies this weekend. Two of the better movies I've seen in a long time.

The first was The Prestige IMDB link , starring Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Caine, and the very delicious Scarlett Johansson. Outstanding performances with an excellent script.
When tragedy strikes during one night at a performance, two friends get thrown into a bitter rivalry to become the world's greatest illusionist. Their professional jealously and intense rivalries leads them to a path of deceit, betrayal and eventually murder as each try to perform the ultimate trick. A great movie.

The second movie I saw was Bridge to Terabithia IMBD link . I was stunned how good this movie was, it was nothing like what I expected at all. To be honest I was a little surprised this was a Walt Disney movie as I can't see how some young children would enjoy this. This movie is nothing like the trailer at all. Don't go into this movie with any preconceived notions, this movie is outstanding.

It's hard to put into words how absolutely marvelous this movie is. It's one of those movies where I felt after watching it, I felt I just watched a masterpiece. I really don't want to give anything away but it's a fascinating story with very charming and lovable characters. It also sort of reminds me of the kinds of stories Steven King writes when he explores the themes of childhood friends. I can't say enough about this movie and I'm really embarassed to say it brought me to tears during the movie. It was extremely moving and powerful.

Jessie is having trouble at school as he's being bullied and the only place of solace he finds is in his drawings. Then one day a new girl shows up at school and his life is changed forever. They became the best friends they've ever had and invent a magical kingdom where it exists for only them. A very touching story.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:05 PM

wow, i thought john tucker was horrible. mean girls is about a million times better. i dont think i laughed once watching john tucker before i turned it off.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:31 PM

I just watched Disturbia, got fooled by the 7.3 imdb rating. I give it a 6. Avoid it and just watch Rear Window instead.

Edit: I apologize if we are still just talking about movies in the original list. Disturbia is out on DVD 7. August.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:52 PM

y tu mama tambien
the weather man

These were the two films my eyes were imeditiatley drawn to as films I can highly recommend. Both have the ability to remain engaging in succesive viewings.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

The Guardian. Starring Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher. About the Coast Guard. Wow, this was super bad. Costner is the hero coast guard guy and Kutcher is the new recruit. This has multiple segments, background, training, and post-training. All of them suck in their own horrible way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember seeing the trailer and was completely baffled as to why they would cast a douchebag like Kutcher for a role like that.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:36 PM

invincible - dunno
last holiday - dunno
the da vinci code - amusing, nothing special. i'm still in love with amelie.
waiting - i thought it was pretty crass and [censored], usually i'm down for this type of movie but i didn't really enjoy it.
lord of war - amusing, not as good as the rock (nothing is)
four brothers
the weather man - good, subtle.
bubba ho-tep
the break-up - very funny and enjoyable.
the omen
into the blue
find me guilty
capote
be here to love me: a film about townes van zandt
the assassination of richard nixon
this film is not yet rated
click - kinda lame.
ong-bak the thai warrior - awesome, must see.
broken flowers - very good, must see.
intacto - interesting, almost delves into lame a couple times but didn't quite get there.. i liked it.
ghosts of abu ghirab
an inconvenient truth
y tu mama tambien
bus 174
posiedon
freedomland
the squid and the whale
constantine - disappointing. not as bad as the hulk.
kiss kiss, bang bang - very good, must see.
the chronicles of narnia
shopgirl - book is awesome. movie was a disappointment but on its own, not bad.
the motorcyle diaries - good, but nothing special.
north country
brokeback mountain
Old 07-23-2007, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to watch or record most new movies that come out on HBO/showtime/etc.

Here are the ones I currently have on my DVR. Most of thesemovies suck, because most of the good ones I watch in the theater or watch right when they come out on cable. So these are mainly ones that I thought about seeing when they came out, but got crappy reviews, or maybe they have one actor I like or something (or were a bit obscure or i just missed them and sounded good or i heard were good).

Some don't even make it this far, like Step Up and John Tucker Must Die. But plenty of crappy ones do. Here's the list. Please share your opinions on how bad they really suck, and whether some are actually good.

I'm sure some of you have similarly crappy movies on your DVRs (or have wasted hours watching horrible movies on cable). Post your opinions here on what to catch/avoid:

invincible-5/10
waiting-7.1/10
lord of war-6.5/10
four brothers-5.7/10
the break-up-3/1o
into the blue-this movie is 2 bad to rate but can be quite good when ur high
click-5/10
an inconvenient truth
y tu mama tambien-8.2/10
constantine-2/10

[/ QUOTE ]

Tambien is the only must see movie out of these
Old 07-23-2007, 10:49 PM

Over the weekend I watched three movies:

The Last King of Scotland -- Forest Whittaker is amazing, but then again he pretty much always is. It's a good movie, but a painful to watch in some ways. Really, really well doen I think.

10 Items of Less -- The sexy Paz Vega and Morgan Freeman in a 90-minute film that was shot in 14 days. It's good. It's interesting. It hit me at the right moment, when I wanted a movie like this. It's definitely someone's pet project, the story of an actor and a store clerk who are both afraid. I recommend it, but it certainly won't be liked by all.

Crank -- I watched eight minutes and turned it off.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:47 PM

saw clerks 2: was actually better than I expected. Not great, but if you liked the first one you should see clerks 2
Closed Thread