Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Best Guitar Players of All Time

I've played guitar since I was 12 (granted, I'm only 21) ... my FAVORITE guiarists are:

Jimi Hendrix (this isn't close)
Eric Clapton
David Gilmour

However, I still maintain that the best are:

Yngwie Malmsteen and Paul Gilbert
Old 06-21-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've never heard anyone sing the way Malmsteen plays. If I did, I think we'd end up putting him/her on ritalin(sp) and that'd be the end of it. You get the, "OMG ERUPTION - BEST SONG EVER", oh? hum a line for me? "...."

Shredding can be accomplished over time by just about anyone; it's just muscle memory eventually. Making the guitar sing, making it sound like a human, making it scream so when you open your mouth the audience isn't sure if you are screaming or you're just playing the guitar ( a la Hendrix) is not muscle memory, its comes down to the player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limiting a list of great guitarists to those who's playing "sounds like singing" is extremely limiting. Lots of classical guitar and jazz guitar doesn't "sound like singing." Do you want all instruments to sound like singing? If so, you probably think John Coltrane sucks because Giant Steps sounds nothing like the human voice.

Furthermore, saying Eruption doesn't sound like singing is silly. It's a guitar solo. No melody, no intention of sounding like singing. I could just as easily say that I've never heard anyone sing the Star Spangled Banner the way Jimi played it at Woodstock.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not want all instruments to sound like singing. What I said was, anyone, over time, can play fast, it becomes muscle memory. "Ergo", it isn't that impressive. Why would I consider someone who can do what tons of teenagers in their bedrooms do to be the best guitar player of all time? When I listen to great classical guitar I may think "great composer" (if it's original material) or I may admire him for his devotion to the instrument, but I won't think "wow, that is the greatest guitar player that ever lived."

Yes, Eruption is a "guitar solo" I guess, but I don't see how being a "solo" and "sounding vocal" have anything to do with one another. That's what we've been talking about this whole time. Hendrix, Clapton, Gilmour, etc, all give the guitar very vocal qualities during solos.

Hendrix not vocal during Star Spangled Banner? This is specifically what I was referencing when I said "when the guitarist plays a note that sounds like its screaming, and opens his mouth like he is screaming, and you can't tell if he's making the noise or his guitar is." <Paraphrasing that.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is so great about Eric Clapton? Which great songs that he has recorded did he also write?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you're looking for the Best Songwriters of All Time thread. This is the Best Guitar Players of All Time thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, in which Cobain could definitely make an appearance, but to include him in this list is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong. wronger than wrong. i saw a million shows living in portland and driving to seattle during the 80's/90's. to tell you the truth i never really "noticed" guitarists, from eddy, to slash to richards to dr. know to hammet i saw and enjoyed them all but cobain was different. he was in a class by himself. the guitar was part of his body, he spoke through it. its hard to explain but you never got the feeling he was "playing" anything, just living through the instrument...guess you had to be there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, man. Don't get me wrong, I love Nirvana and think Cobain wrote more than a few simple yet brilliant songs, but to call him a great 'player' is absurd.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:56 AM

gusmahler,

I don't believe Taso is making his point and clear as he would like, but you keep bringing up points that he never actually said. Just saying, is all.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've never heard anyone sing the way Malmsteen plays. If I did, I think we'd end up putting him/her on ritalin(sp) and that'd be the end of it. You get the, "OMG ERUPTION - BEST SONG EVER", oh? hum a line for me? "...."

Shredding can be accomplished over time by just about anyone; it's just muscle memory eventually. Making the guitar sing, making it sound like a human, making it scream so when you open your mouth the audience isn't sure if you are screaming or you're just playing the guitar ( a la Hendrix) is not muscle memory, its comes down to the player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limiting a list of great guitarists to those who's playing "sounds like singing" is extremely limiting. Lots of classical guitar and jazz guitar doesn't "sound like singing." Do you want all instruments to sound like singing? If so, you probably think John Coltrane sucks because Giant Steps sounds nothing like the human voice.

Furthermore, saying Eruption doesn't sound like singing is silly. It's a guitar solo. No melody, no intention of sounding like singing. I could just as easily say that I've never heard anyone sing the Star Spangled Banner the way Jimi played it at Woodstock.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not want all instruments to sound like singing. What I said was, anyone, over time, can play fast, it becomes muscle memory. "Ergo", it isn't that impressive. Why would I consider someone who can do what tons of teenagers in their bedrooms do to be the best guitar player of all time? When I listen to great classical guitar I may think "great composer" (if it's original material) or I may admire him for his devotion to the instrument, but I won't think "wow, that is the greatest guitar player that ever lived."

[/ QUOTE ]

Different strokes, I guess. I just don't think it's fair to basically say only guitarists who play a specific genre are eligible for the "greatest guitar ever" title.

Of course, this is a subjective subject anyway, and you can't expect everyone to list guitarists who play in genres they don't listen to.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, obviously I don't shred like Satriani - I have no interest in being able to do that. And, anywho, I still consider Clapton fast, and think that those who don't probably havn't heard enough Clapton.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly written by an non-musician. You CANNOT over time become as good as Malmsteen.

muscle memory.

LMAO

fyc
Old 06-22-2007, 02:19 PM

Herb Ellis.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:59 PM

No love for Jimmy Page?
Old 06-22-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, obviously I don't shred like Satriani - I have no interest in being able to do that. And, anywho, I still consider Clapton fast, and think that those who don't probably havn't heard enough Clapton.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly written by an non-musician. You CANNOT over time become as good as Malmsteen.

muscle memory.

LMAO

fyc

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Some people can't play knockin on heavens door after showing it to them 100 times. Believe me!

I consider myself a very good guitarist. I can improvise pretty well and jam for hours and have great texture for rhythm etc...but I can't shred, nor would I be able to if I dedicated the rest of my life to it.

What you're saying is sort of akin to "so-and-so is a great pitcher but all he throws is fastballs. Anyone can throw a baseball 100 mph if they practice enough."
Old 06-22-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

muscle memory.

LMAO

fyc

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Some people can't play knockin on heavens door after showing it to them 100 times. Believe me!

I consider myself a very good guitarist. I can improvise pretty well and jam for hours and have great texture for rhythm etc...but I can't shred, nor would I be able to if I dedicated the rest of my life to it.

What you're saying is sort of akin to "so-and-so is a great pitcher but all he throws is fastballs. Anyone can throw a baseball 100 mph if they practice enough."

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like the mods to erase my last post in this thread and replace it with Austiger's reply.

Well Spoken sir.

fyc