Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Several Hotshots Supposedly Broke Or In Debt

[ QUOTE ]
David, here is a statement made by Phil Ivey on the monetary status of several pros www.cardplayer.com/articles/story147212

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting. my question is: why is he telling all this to the public?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
David, here is a statement made by Phil Ivey on the monetary status of several pros www.cardplayer.com/articles/story147212

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He seems like a quiet guy but I dunno maybe he holds some type of grudge?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He seems like a quiet guy but I dunno maybe he holds some type of grudge?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats surprising to me is that Ivey is dying his hair red now, glad I saw the video.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:57 PM

hahah haxxored url
Old 05-29-2007, 08:07 PM

*TT*

Ivey is in the video at 2:07. You have to look carefully because they don't show much of him.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Jennifer Harman same thing. But she has many properties in town and has a fortune in real estate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hasn't LV real estate tanked over the last 2 years?

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah but tanking if you are worth 8 figures still can't be too bad...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brad Booth in debt over a Million. Guy is major busto

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the stories of how this guy throws money away, this wouldn't surprise me at all.

[/ QUOTE ]let's hear some stories

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

LV Real Estate peaked just over a year ago, and that was after a huge surge in the market over the last five years. A lot of $100,000 houses in LV in 1995 are worth more than double that now.

The market has dropped slightly the last year, but the bottom hasn't fallen out yet. However, expect to see a steady decline in prices over the next two years, especially with the amount of condos going up around the strip and the ones that are there now that are sitting empty.

Also, Jen Harman was playing in the big game in Bobby's room last weekend. They were 5 handed, it was her, Barry, some amateur who looked like he was stuck a lot and had been playing forever, and some kid from a WSOP final table last year of the year before.

That being said, I don't think she's busto, and even if she were, it would mean bankroll busto, not life-money-assets busto.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I bought a house for 100k in 1995 and it was only worth 200k now, I'd strongly consider moving out of the depressed area I was in. Especially in LV, (until the last year or so), doubling your home value in 5-7 years or less was pretty common. Hell, my wife is freindss with a couple in Phoenix who bought their house for 275k, and 2 years later sold it for 680k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you realize how outrageous it is for a home to double in value every five years?

FTR, it's very uncommon for a lot of homes to double in value over a five year period if your look at the United States as a whole.

I mean, that's like saying, you bought a house for $200,000 in 1997 and could sell it for $800,000 in 2007. If I stuck $200,000 into a mutual fund I'd be thrilled if it made it to $400,000 within 10 years.

Yes, some markets have experienced this kind fo growth over the last 10-20 years, but not consistently, and they're the anomaly, not the standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Outrageous or not, that's what was happening for a long time, although many areas are in steep decline now, of course; kinda like the stock market 1992-2000.

Also, you might wanna get a better financial advisor then if doubling in ten years is good for you.. with just an 8% avg return, (below stock markets normal return), 100k turns into just over 230k in tens years. With a 12% return, ( which I believe is market avg, or at least was), it's more like 359k. Doubling in ten years is ~ a 6.7% ROI.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

LV Real Estate peaked just over a year ago, and that was after a huge surge in the market over the last five years. A lot of $100,000 houses in LV in 1995 are worth more than double that now.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that you could have almost doubled your money leaving it in the bank for 12 years.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*TT*

Ivey is in the video at 2:07. You have to look carefully because they don't show much of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Token black guy?
Old 05-29-2007, 08:36 PM

This David Sklansky guy must be Salazars gimmick account....or visa versa
Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Jennifer Harman same thing. But she has many properties in town and has a fortune in real estate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hasn't LV real estate tanked over the last 2 years?

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah but tanking if you are worth 8 figures still can't be too bad...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brad Booth in debt over a Million. Guy is major busto

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the stories of how this guy throws money away, this wouldn't surprise me at all.

[/ QUOTE ]let's hear some stories

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

The market has dropped slightly the last year, but the bottom hasn't fallen out yet. However, expect to see a steady decline in prices over the next two years, especially with the amount of condos going up around the strip and the ones that are there now that are sitting empty.

Also, Jen Harman was playing in the big game in Bobby's room last weekend. They were 5 handed, it was her, Barry, some amateur who looked like he was stuck a lot and had been playing forever, and some kid from a WSOP final table last year of the year before.

That being said, I don't think she's busto, and even if she were, it would mean bankroll busto, not life-money-assets busto.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I bought a house for 100k in 1995 and it was only worth 200k now, I'd strongly consider moving out of the depressed area I was in. Especially in LV, (until the last year or so), doubling your home value in 5-7 years or less was pretty common. Hell, my wife is freindss with a couple in Phoenix who bought their house for 275k, and 2 years later sold it for 680k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you realize how outrageous it is for a home to double in value every five years?

FTR, it's very uncommon for a lot of homes to double in value over a five year period if your look at the United States as a whole.

I mean, that's like saying, you bought a house for $200,000 in 1997 and could sell it for $800,000 in 2007. If I stuck $200,000 into a mutual fund I'd be thrilled if it made it to $400,000 within 10 years.

Yes, some markets have experienced this kind fo growth over the last 10-20 years, but not consistently, and they're the anomaly, not the standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Outrageous or not, that's what was happening for a long time, although many areas are in steep decline now, of course; kinda like the stock market 1992-2000.

Also, you might wanna get a better financial advisor then if doubling in ten years is good for you.. with just an 8% avg return, (below stock markets normal return), 100k turns into just over 230k in tens years. With a 12% return, ( which I believe is market avg, or at least was), it's more like 359k. Doubling in ten years is ~ a 6.7% ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yale finance and economics professor Robert Shiller, author of Irrational Exuberance, who looked back to 1890, contends that only twice has real estate produced truly outstanding returns: after World War II, when returning troops were starting their families, and from 1998 to 2005, a period he thinks is a bubble.

Housing's rate of return, he argues, has to trend back to the mean of about 3% a year - barely above the inflation rate. If that's starting to happen now, he says, we could be facing many years of losses.

source