Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is your favorite team your hometown team?
Yes 146 67.91%
No 69 32.09%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Fight for Online Gaming!! -- Plan for week of 6/25

Well, we keep improving our position. Things sure looked bad when UIGEA passed. I'm amazed at how we've improved week in and week out. We have a long way to go yet, but we're better at this point than anyone could have reasonably predicted last November.

The WTO ruled that the U.S. unfairly restrained Antiguan-owned online gambling sites from accessing the U.S. market, and the U.S. has exhausted all appeals. Antigua filed for $3.44 billion per year in damages, to be collected by suspending U.S. IP agreements (copyrights, patents, etc). Additionally, countries the U.S. regularly accuses of unfair trade practices, including the EU, China, Japan, and India, have signed on to Antigua's case. These nations will be pressing for remedies in the form of trade relief (likely in aerospace and agriculture). We lost our final appeal, but have hearings on appropriate remedies, so this will be interesting. It’s definitely time to write to the USTR and to our senators.

Additionally, there’s no word yet on UIGEA regulations. We need to make our feelings known here.

Finally, there are three pieces of pro-Internet gaming legislation in Congress. We need to keep pressing Congress to support these.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:48 PM

From Autobet:

Here is a rough draft of a letter I plan on sending to my US reps and the US trade rep.

The Honorable Susan Schwab
United States Trade Representative
600 17th Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20508

Dear Ambassador Schwab:

I am writing concerning the decision by the WTO on the case brought by Antigua and Barbuda against the United States entitled: “Measure Affecting the Cross-Border Supply of Gambling and Better Services” (WT/DS285). The WTO Appellate Body has found that the U.S. is not in compliance with its WTO obligations with respect to the provision of remote gambling services. Antigua, Costa Rica and the European Union are seeking or planning to seek billions in compensation. My understanding is Antigua has asked the trade body to target American Trademarks and Copyrights if the U.S. refuses to comply.

Besides facing sanctions, failure to comply with the WTO ruling will ruin our credibility around the world. If we refuse to comply, we are setting an example for every other country to follow. When we seek to press countries like China regarding their violations on a wide range of important issues including copyright violations, how can we expect them to comply if we do not lead by example and abide by the rulings of the WTO?

The best type of leadership is done by those who lead by example. I hope the United States steps up and abides by the ruling of the World Trade Organization regarding remote gaming.

Sincerely,
Old 06-24-2007, 04:29 PM

My WTO letter to my conservative Republican congressman in a horse-friendly district:

June 22, 2007

The Honorable xxx xxx
United States House of Representatives
Washington, D.C. 20515-1704

Dear Congressman xxx:

I am writing to express my concern regarding Antigua and Barbuda’s request to the WTO for $3.44 billion per year in commercial sanctions from U.S. businesses for our failure to comply with the World Trade Organization ruling that our Internet gambling restrictions violate our agreements per the gaming sector of the GATS agreement. It seems this filing has significant potential to harm (my state), particularly our equine industry, while gaining us nothing. As such, I ask you to help America honor our international commitments by supporting HR 2046, the Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act.

One notable aspect of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA) was its exemption of horse racing, consistent with the Interstate Horse Racing Act of 1977. This served to demonstrate to the WTO that the U.S. does not have a true moral objection to Internet gambling, as certainly one cannot argue that betting on horses is more moral than betting on cards. This played a large part in our loss at the WTO. I fear the opponents of allowing Americans to choose to play online poker may push to place the same prohibition on all interstate remote horse wagering. While this is more ideologically consistent, it would clearly harm our state’s equine industry.

Additionally, the WTO action could harm our agriculture and aerospace industries, as the European Union, Japan, China, and others have joined the action against us. The trade concessions they seek will certainly harm our industries while, again, gaining us nothing.

Many Americans wish to have the right to play poker online. Many more do not feel it is the federal government’s place to prohibit this. Some polls have shown 75% opposition to UIGEA. I do feel there will be a continued backlash in 2008 to this, especially as our party continues to fracture along ideological lines. For example, the Poker Players Alliance now has 572,274 members. I imagine these poker players will vote for freedom. I took a look at the 2006 election results for a quick analysis. Thirty-four congressmen who supported UIGEA won with less than 55% of the vote (including you). Of these, it appears roughly half are vehemently opposed to allowing Americans to decide for themselves if they can play poker after work (again, including you, at least to date). Of these, the fact that this region of the nation will be very competitive in the 2008 election leads me to conclude you would likely be in the top five of any gaming rights group’s list of legislators to actively oppose (somewhere after Chris Shays and Heather Wilson…perhaps ahead of Steve Chabot). I hope this does not happen. I support you on a number of issues, such as your strong support for the Second Amendment (another freedom issue about which many like me are passionate). I support your pro-life stance as well. However, I do share with you that many conservatives are willing to work for, and vote for, their freedoms, like we did in 1994.

I ask you to carefully consider the facts and to vote in favor of HR 2046. Let’s have a regulated, taxed, and legal Internet gaming industry (especially poker and other skill-based games). It’s not about supporting gambling; rather, it is about supporting the right of adults to make their own decisions while honoring our international commitments.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Old 06-24-2007, 05:02 PM

Old 06-24-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Ideas for Actions for week of 6/25

[ QUOTE ]
Sometime today or tomorrow I am going to go back through all the AP et al articles on the WTO issue ...

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems that it's easier to get a letter published if it pertains to a prior article. In fact, the NY Times asks for the article referenced on their online form. Fortunately, there was an article on Caribbean/U.S. relations in Friday's Washington Post, at www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/21/AR2007062101743.html . I think we could all piggyback on this article with our WTO letters. The Post also published an article on the Antigua claim for $3.4 billion per year, at www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/20/AR2007062002151.html , so that can be referenced as well.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:55 PM

Washington Post letters to the editor:

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/20/AR2007022000709.html

Letters must be fewer than 250 words long and exclusive to The Washington Post; they may not have been submitted or posted to, or published by any other media or web outlet. They must include the writer's home address, e-mail address, and home and business telephone numbers. Anonymous letters will not be considered, nor does The Post permit the use of pseudonyms.

Due to space limitations, all letters are subject to abridgment. Because of the volume of letters we receive, we cannot respond individually to the authors of letters we are unable to use. However, we read every letter we receive, and we appreciate the interest and value the views of those who take the time to send us their comments.

To send a letter by e-mail, please send to letters@washpost.com. Do not send attachments; they will not be read. If you prefer to send your letter by surface mail, please send to the following address:

Letters to the Editor
The Washington Post
1150 15th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20071

---------------------------------

Submitting an op-ed:

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/opeds/submit/

Letters to the Editor should be sent by e-mail to letters@washpost.com as text within the body of the e-mail -- attachments will not be opened. Submissions for the Sunday Outlook section should be sent to outlook@washpost.com. You may not submit a piece to more than one section at a time. To submit comments and questions, and for all other correspondence, please click here.

Submission Guidelines
Op-ed submissions must be exclusive to The Washington Post and no longer than 800 words. There is no minimum length. Exclusive op-ed submissions will be reviewed by an editor within six business days. Articles sent to multiple media outlets or posted online, including on a personal blog, will not be considered for publication.

Due to space constraints, The Post must decline most op-ed submissions....
Old 06-24-2007, 08:39 PM

Sent. Referencing Trade Sanctions

Besides facing sanctions, failure to comply with the WTO ruling will ruin our credibility around the world. If we refuse to comply, we are setting an example for every other country to follow. When we seek to press countries like China regarding their violations on a wide range of important issues including copyright violations, how can we expect them to comply if we do not lead by example and abide by the rulings of the WTO? If we choose to opt out of the parts of the trade agreements we don’t like, shouldn’t we expect other countries to do the same?

The best type of leadership is done by those who lead by example. I hope the United States steps up and abides by the ruling of the World Trade Organization regarding remote gaming.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Fight for Online Gaming!! -- Weekly action thread

Weekly letter - comments?

Note: Sorry to some it is geared with an eye on Poker only.....

Heading Edited to Gonzales & Paulson.

Susan C. Schwab
Office U S Trade Representative
600 17th Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20508
United States of America

Susan Schwab,

I am greatly disturbed that your office in conjunction with the White House and a few U. S. Senators has allowed the Antigua-Barbuda tiff over online gaming to potentially escalate into a real international incident affecting so many Americans and American businesses.

There really are many very important matters that need to be addressed and quite frankly under the circumstances bickering over what should amount in the end to a game of cards is beneath us all.

Granted and I agree that there are strict laws prohibiting sports betting and these laws have been in place many years.

However, the WTO ruling should not be dismissed out of hand. There are excellent merits to many points, points not even addressed in the WTO ruling that are important.

Many United States companies and affiliates offer INTERSTATE and INTERNATIONAL online wagering.

Companies such as AOL, MSN and YAHOO! are affiliates of companies such as World Winner. This company is based in Newton, Massachusetts.

These affiliates and World Winner offer games referred to as ‘SKILL’. These ‘SKILL’ games include but are not limited to card games such as Spades, Hearts, Solitaire and Free Cell.

Certainly anyone with average common sense will agree that the card game of poker is NO LESS a game of ‘SKILL’ as the referenced games.

Additionally these companies offering ‘SKILL’ gaming adhere to all U.S. income tax and banking laws.

A simple solution is to allow a limited incursion into the U.S. market by international companies offering poker so long as they agree to and abide by the same rules and regulations as American companies do.

Please, I implore you ALL to quickly settle this matter in a sensible and amicable way and move on to the REAL important issues you are facing; the DOHA Agreement, Advancing American Trade, Protecting American Interests abroad and more.

obg
Old 06-25-2007, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Fight for Online Gaming!! -- Weekly action thread

Sounds good obg. Thanks for posting.

As for comments, I'd personally probably refer to her as "Ambassador Schwab". Otherwise, looks great aside from some minor grammatical things that you'll catch in your final edit.

Nice job. Hopefully we'll fill her mailbox.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:33 PM

We need to let the media know online wagering IS NOT banned directing the to the SKILL sites and links in letters telling them the farce is a game with more skill is being targeted and asking WHY?

My letter to Lou Dobbs www.loudobbs.com (It will go to a few others with some modification).

Thank you for your efforts to expose this Immigration Bill for what it is, a shame.

If only someone like your self would look at another farce as well. The attempts by many in the federal government to limit Americans from playing cards on the Internet are silly and absurd.

No, not all cards, only Poker.

Allowed via AOL, MSN, and YAHOO! And others are card games such as Solitaire, Hearts, Spades and Free Cell. But these are American Companies offering wagering called ‘SKILL’. Whoa to the majority of online players who play the card game of ‘LUCK’ poker, though I see no difference.

This position has been challenged before the WTO and three times the U S government has lost.

The solution, withdraw from a portion of the GATS agreement EVEN though we may have to settle and let American companies pay upwards of 20 billion in trade sanctions.

Antigua-Barbuda, Japan, the E.U., India, CANADA and Costa Rica have all now filed trade violation claims over this silly position.

If it were not so serious it would be comical, a game of cards could lead to such a mess when there really is so much more serious stuff the president and congress need to worry about.

XXXXX
XXXXXX

obg

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What do you all wish to do for the week of 6/25 (with regards to our fight)? Should we write to Congress and the USTR about the WTO decision? Should we continue to badger stragglers to get their letters to Paulson and Gonzales? Please post your thoughts here. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have we been sending letters or making phone calls to media outlets...it seems the best thing we could do now is get the public caught up on what the WTO decision could mean to economics in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been all along...none published yet. The U.S. media hasn't picked up on any of this. They think "Internet gambling was banned....the end", at least from what I see. Hopefully the Antigua issue will wake them up.

I've had far better luck with simply posting to various blogs. I'll continue to write to the mainstream press, of course. I hope you'll consider doing the same. If you don't get published, at least you can spam lots of blogs and boards with your letter.

[/ QUOTE ]